Sweet Potato Fries

Happy Saturday. The sun is shining and it is going to be a beautiful day here in Northern CA! I added Google Friends to my side bar so feel free to sign up and be a follower!

Check out this giant bowl of Meyer lemons! My neighbor picked the last of the lemons from his tree and gave them to me! Katy is dreaming about the Lemon Poppy Seed bundt cake that I make. She ate almost the entire cake herself the last time I made it.I don’t eat dessert too often and the guys here don’t care too much for lemon flavored sweets. She will have to make it this time and share it with her friends as I have a full day ahead of me already.

Last night for dinner I made the Chipotle Sloppy Joes recipe that I tried when I was at Mom and Dad’s. My family had not had them yet and 3 out of 4 of us liked them. Katy does not like spicy food and these are a bit spicy, even though I cut back on the Chipotle for her. I made regular oven fries as well as sweet potato fries. The sweet potato fries do not get crunchy like the white potato fries. I don’t mind the soft texture because the flavor is slightly sweet and salty but savory enough to dip in ketchup. You can kick up the flavor a little more by adding some seasoned salt, cumin, cinnamon or chili powder. I left ours more on the plain side last night so they wouldn’t be competing with the flavor of the sloppy joe’s.

Sweet potatoes are a good pick nutritionally speaking. This root vegetable is an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), contains vitamin C and manganese, is a good source of copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and iron.  The sweet potato digests slowly, causing a gradual rise in blood sugar so you feel satisfied longer.

Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts

(for one medium size sweet potato)
Calories 130
Fat 0.39 g
Protein 2.15 g
Net Carbs 31.56 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Calcium 28.6 mg
Sodium 16.9 mg
Potassium 265.2 mg
Folate 18.2 mcg
Vitamin C 29.51 mg
Vitamin A 26081.9 IU

from the USDA

I used two sweet potatoes, scrubbed really well but I left the skin on. Cut in half length wise and then slice into fries. Toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil and  place on a foil lined pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Season with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. One of the sweet potatoes had a variegated color scheme going on but it tasted normal! Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes, turning once.

They turn out nice and brown and slightly crunchy on the edges, salty and oh so good!

These fries went well with our Chipotle Sloppy Joe’s with caramelized onions and a huge tossed salad with tomatoes, avocados, red peppers, cherry tomatoes and a light ranch dressing. I didn’t get a picture of the salad but it was beautiful and filling.

Sweet Potato Fries

• 2 sweet potatoes scrubbed with skins on (14 ounces total)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • coarse salt
  • fresh ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Cut sweet potatoes in half length wise and then slice into fries. Toss with olive oil and spread out in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Season with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper. Bake for 2o minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.

Yield: 2 Servings

Per Serving  : 170 Calories; 3g Fat (14.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 19mg Sodium.

Old WWP 3 / New WWPP 4

Yield: 4 Servings

Per Serving: 85 Calories; 1g Fat (14.0% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 9mg Sodium.

Old WWP 1 / New WWPP 2

Do you like spicy food?

1 ping

1. Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ says:

Sweet potato fries are awesome.

Stacy thanks for checking out my blog! :-)

2. Mary says:

I just read your previous post about snacking. I agree with you. If I eat a balanced meal I don’t need or even want to have a snack….and I mean a healthy snack.

For a while I was on a program that had me eating every 3 hours…it was intended to keep my blood sugar stable. For me it just made me think about food all the time; it was as if there was no break from it at all.

Now I have 3 healthy meals and if I WANT a little something a bit later in the day I’ll have it…but I do not schedule in snacks throughout the day, and I am better off!

Mary that is so interesting that we have both come to the same conclusion regarding snacking! I think that snacking stimulates my appetite and makes me hungrier too.

3. tj says:

mmm I love sweet potato fries! Your sloppy joes look good too! :) I like a lil kick, just not where I can not feel my lips. lol

LOL that is funny TJ, I would rather not lose feeling in my lips either!:-)

Yummy looking meal!!!

Love sweet potatoes! Up until a year or so ago, I would only cook them for holiday meals.Now I have them a couple of times a week.

Not a huge fan of real spicy food but I do like Sweet Thai Chili Sauce on seafood or baked chicken breasts. I buy a big bottle of it from Costco.

Carol I remember when we only had sweet potatoes for Christmas and Thanksgiving and they came from a can

I also like that Sweet Thai Chili sauce, yum!

6. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

Everything looks so great!!! I love love love sweet fries…

I went out today and got everything to make your Chicken Enchiladas… Looking forward to that for tomorrow.. Yah Hoo… Ive never ever had a enchilada before…

I am so excited for you to eat your first enchilada! You must come back and give me a full report. :-)

7. Kat says:

Yum. Those look wonderful.

Hi Kat, thank you so much!

8. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

Your site is beautiful. And ALL of your recipes sound so good. I hope you get to make a cookbook someday. THank you for your support, it meant a lot to me.

JBS you are very kind. One day I might make a favorite recipes cook book for my family.

You are welcome for the support. I think you are an amazing woman!

9. Kim says:

I love sweet potato fries! I’ve never tried making them myself though. All your recent recipes look yummy. I foresee them on my menu plan….lol. You’ve been feeding my family a lot here lately. lol

LOL at me feeding your family lately! I am thrilled that you are enjoying the recipes I post. It makes my work all worth while!

You should give them a try. Just remember that these don’t get crispy like fried ones but they are very tasty!

10. Kim says:

Yeah, if you look at some of my recent food logs you’ll see tortilla bake and chicken cordon bleu. lol. My husband loved the chicken and I was surprised b/c he doesn’t love swiss cheese at all. I guess it was ok b/c it didn’t overpower all the other tastes. With the mashed potatoes, I never fix them the same way twice and it bugs me b/c I rarely get the consistancy I want. I loved your garlic mashed potato recipe…it turns out so well. My husband takes leftovers to work and he’s always telling me mashed potatoes do not reheat well, but he said these were “ok” reheated. So, that’s definitely better than before. I was banned from sending mashed potatoes to work for him there for a while. lol!

Kim that is awesome that your hubby liked the mashed potatoes and we also think they reheat well!

I am so happy you are enjoying the recipes. :-)

1. Cilantro Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup | says:

[...] ketchup as you will want to use it on other burgers or to dip oven fries in. Try my recipe for sweet potato fries and dip them in Chipotle kethcup – oh [...]