What was I thinking?

Have you heard that saying “Fail to plan, plan to fail?” Yesterday was a non planned day for me and the results were less than acceptable! I didn’t think anyone was going to be home for dinner so I didn’t plan anything to fix since there were some left overs in the refrigerator and the fixings for sandwiches. That was my first mistake. I did heat up some tomato soup and made a little sandwich using one of the Thomas Sandwich Thins and some cheese and a couple slices of turkey. It did not satisfy me and I still felt hungry. It wasn’t enough food and it really didn’t taste that good.

Instead of finding something more protein based I popped a bag of Jolly Time low fat microwave popcorn. Bad idea! I ate the whole bag and all of those carbs made me crave more food. UGH! With out thinking I headed back to the kitchen and I made myself a bowl of fresh berries with nonfat yogurt, Trader Joe’s Morning Lite cereal, cinnamon and a sprinkle of Cacao Nibs. It looked so good that I took a picture of it.

That should have been more than enough food but by then I was on auto pilot and ate a Kashi bar and a Weight Watcher frozen fudge bar!!!!! UGH! I didn’t even enjoy any of it.

At this point, thankfully I came to my senses and asked myself what was going on with all of this eating? Was I hungry? NO! I was just in a munching mode as a result of not eating a balanced dinner and then consuming a bunch of carbs. I wrote everything down in my food journal and added up my WWp’s and discovered that I was still within a reasonable amount of food for the day at 22 points. Okay it was not as much damage as I thought. I felt a little bit better that I had stopped the eating frenzy and decided to go do a weight resistance work out to burn off some of those calories and to break the cycle of eating. I worked out for the next 45 minutes and felt so much better. I went to bed feeling stuffed and woke up still feeling full. That is not a good feeling.

At least I had awareness and stopped a slip from turning into a slide. Today is a new day and it is going to be different. I will resume my usual meal planning so that dinner is balanced and satisfying to my palate.

How do you handle your meal planning or do you plan them out in advance?

1. Mary says:

What a great post…..I can really relate. Carbs have the same effect on me. It seems to flip a switch that puts me on auto-pilot. Pat yourself on the back for being able to switch gears; that impresses me!
    I love the part where you say that it didn’t even taste good…I KNOW!!…makes you wonder why the hand keeps going to the mouth when there is no real pleasure.
    The awareness is so important…I work on that all the time.
    As far as planning meals…I have a few good, solid meals that I really like and I pretty much eat them over and over. I mix it up enough to keep it from being boring but I find, that for me, less choice is beneficial…at least for now.

Mary you are right, awareness is important. Some of us are super sensitive to carbs. I know this about myself but yesterday I was just mindless with my eating. :-)

2. LAF says:

Popcorn is sooo yummy, I can easily eat the entire bag.
    Good job on the workout and writing everything down.

Oh yes popcorn is yummy but it is off my radar screen for a while!

3. Leslie says:

Great topic. I totally relate to the planning thing and have done just what you did last night many times. Usually I don’t catch myself as early in the game as you did!

My favorite strategy is to cook enough food on Sunday and early in the week to serve as leftovers. Having the main dish – usually protein based – on hand and ready to go makes it seem less daunting to get dinner on the table every night. Thanks for posting about this because I constantly need to be reminded!

I love the cook ahead approach Leslie. I am a planner and usually do a good job of meal prep and such but this was a series of unfortunate choices! It was a good reminder for me too!

4. Jo says:

I’ve made the same mistake so many times in the past – lack of protein in my meals always makes me carb crazy!

Good on you for reigning it in, that’s the important part so well done :)

You are right protein is a key component to staying full. I know that I just didn’t do that! :-)

5. Amanda says:

This has been my problem lately too! Weird! Sometimes I’m really not even hungry but once I start eating, I can’t stop.

But the important thing is that you DID stop! And tracked it all. Great job! You took back control.

Thank you Amanda. Indeed there are certain foods that are easier to not even start to eat because stopping is too hard.

6. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

I find it hardest to feed myself well in times like this. It is so unmotivating to me to plan great meals just for me. Silly I know. But when I have a family to feed it seems worth the effort.

In my glory days of practically perfect [few and far between] I’m trying to have handy dandy single servings that are healthy AND exciting to me. I do eat better when I’m excited about it.

Oh I can relate, I don’t want to cook for myself, it is much more fun to cook for a few others!

I am like you, I need to be excited about what I am eating other wise I am so disappointed and not satisfied.

Boy can I relate to this!! For myself, I’m wondering if it is because I like to feel the chewing of food?

I hit ENTER before I finished typing!
      I was going to add that I do some mindless nibbling & end up feeling terrible after. No worries about popcorn…I like it, but it doesn’t like me!

Good for you tracking your snacking Tami!!

There is some satisfaction to chewing so that is a thought. Mindless munching is such a waste of time and calories. Live and learn. :-)

8. Kim says:

I can feel where ya comin from. That’s happened to me here some lately. At least you overdid it with healthy food. lol Here lately I’ve been craving carbs and for me it’s usually always related to not enough protein. I have my fall back meal I depend on when dinner plans change. It’s usually a smoothie packed w/ fruit, greens, walnuts, healthy juices, and flaxseed. Even though I’m taking in carbs, I don’t feel as bad about it when I put plenty of protein in it. If I didn’t have my fallback meal, I’d probably end up snacking a lot. lol

I love smoothies like that too Kim. Yes indeed protein is important to keep the carb monster at bay!

9. Melissa says:

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I am LOVING yours!!

That is such a victory to be able to stop and think about what you are doing. The other thing that is awesome is that your snack selections were of a healthier variety than most people would be. The great thing about low points snacks is that they don’t add up to nearly as much as Snickers bars and ice cream. :)

Hi Melissa and thanks for visiting my blog. True my snacks were of the healthier kind but it was still eating outside of hunger which is a habit I am trying to kick!

10. Barbo says:

What a good example of mindless, non-planned eating.
    It’s odd, but it never works out, tastes good, or leaves
    one feeling well and healthy. First you want salty and
    then let’s have sweet, back and forth, no satisfaction.
    Nothing compares to a well balanced meal such as the beautiful dinners that you serve to your family.

You expressed for me what I do and how it leaves
    me feeling. Thanks