Dinner At The White House!

We had a good trip back home yesterday. Going away is fun but it sure does make you appreciate your home when you get back to it. Today will be filled with meal planning, laundry, grocery shopping and household chores. Too bad you can’t ease back into life at home but it doesn’t work that way you have to dive in head first!

I decided to weigh in this morning and I was happy to discover that I had lost .6 in the 4 days I was gone! I weighed 138.8 today. I ate wisely while I was out of town but I did eat delicious food and even had bites of dessert a couple times. I never went hungry or felt deprived. Here is how I did it. Having the bagel thins, laughing cow cheese, Kashi bars, Z bars and fruit in the hotel room gave me a good choice for breakfast every morning. Hubby Tom would go get us big cups of coffee to enjoy along with it.

I went light for lunch getting a Subway sandwich or having fish and vegetables knowing that our business dinners would include higher calorie options. I also chose wisely when it came to the abundance of appetizers that were offered, going with shrimp and edamame. I only had wine one night and I sipped on one glass through out the dinner. For my entrees I chose grilled or baked fish, chicken or pork. When presented with 3 miniature desserts on my plate I picked one of them and ate half of it slowly enjoying every bite.

I didn’t treat every meal as a “vacation” meal if you know what I mean. If I had done that I easily could have gained a few pounds in a few days! I listened to my body cues and ate when I was hungry, stopped when I was full. I told myself ahead of time that I would have my choice of dessert one time and share it with hubby. Well the miniature dessert took care of that and a low calorie dessert offering another night worked nicely into my food plan.

No we were not party crashers in Washington DC! Saturday night we ate at a restaurant called The White House in Anaheim and they had a healthy menu option that included an appetizer, salad, entree and dessert all for just over 500 calories. All of us at the table decided to go with this meal plan and it was awesome. My appetizer was tilapia grilled with lemon and lime, a salad with a low fat dressing,  a small sourdough roll, oven roasted pork tenderloin with veggies and for dessert  I chose a lucious little warm chocolate cake for a mere 120 calories that had a soft center and was served with fresh berries. How cool it that? I didn’t have my camera with me so this photo is from their web site.

Of course I walked miles every day while there and that helped off set any extra calories I was consuming. When I travel I am happy if I maintain my weight and never expect to lose weight when I am eating out three times a day so this was a nice surprise to come home to.

Eating with awareness and enjoying every bite.

1. Leslie says:

Your trip sounds good and congrats on eating sanely, not depriving, and still losing .6 pound! It was good to read your list of things you had in the hotel room. I’ll have to try the Z bars – I’ve heard other bloggers also mention them. I’m thinking they’re the Kids Clif bars? Also, the Laughing Cow light is a wonderful spread for celery, apples, bagel thins or measured amount of crackers.

Your last line is great – Eating with awareness and enjoying every bite!

Leslie yes the Z bars are made by Cliff bar and are marketed towards kids! Well we are all really just kids aren’t we?

Laughing Cow cheese is so good with many foods, I eat it a lot.

2. Dawne says:

You are one smart woman! You sound like you have this eating thing figured out and when you explain your approach, it makes sense to me. It’s lifestyle, isn’t it? You know the lower calorie options you can make throughout the day, so you can have deal with the higher calorie options that come your way.

Every once in a while, I’m tempted to veer from this way of eating and go on a crazy, crash diet, to lose these last 20 pounds quickly, but this reaffirms in me the way to do it and keep it off.

Thanks for the encouragement that I needed!

Dawne I am a work in progress but I do think I have learned a lot in the past 6 months or so.

It is a life style, you are so right!

I had entertained the thoughts of a crash diet to drop these pounds but I knew it would set me up to fall and fail at the end and I didn’t want to fall and fail one more time. I am so glad that you have resisted the temptation to do the quick fix. Your body and your mind will be happier with your healthy approach.

I am glad my story has given you encouragement.That makes me feel great!

3. Jo says:

Wow, well done on the weight loss, I never manage to lose weight when I’m on holiday!

That restaurant looks amazing, stunning picture

Thank you Jo!

4. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

Wow, Tami! You did fantastic! I like your plan for eating while away!

The White House looks amazing!

Thank you Marisa, it was a wonderful dinner!

5. LAF says:

It is so great to hear about your dedication to a healthy lifestyle. Vacations are such a challenge!

Thanks LAF, vacations can be tricky with the food part but if you have a plan you can do it healthy!

6. WaistingTime says:

“Eating with awareness and enjoying every bite.” Love this! Sounds like a great trip.

Thank you, I am enjoying everything I eat!

7. Genie@dietof51 says:

Sounds so sensible and simple when you put it that way. No deprivation. Making good choices. Thinking ahead. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels….

Glad you had such a nice vacation. Thanks for sharing.

Genie I love that saying “Nothing tastes as god as thin feels!”

Hey you figured out the captcha!!! You go girl!

8. karen@fitnessjourney says:

The White House restaurant looks so charming! The meals sounds terrific and the location couldn’t be prettier. Sounds like you had a great time AND didn’t gain weight. A perfect trip.

9. fittingbackin says:

“Today will be filled with meal planning, laundry, grocery shopping and household chores.” You got that right – that is me the day I get back in town in a nutshell – can’t wait to get back on track!

I’m glad you had a good visit and mucho congrats on the weight loss – wow! I walked SO much in NY this past weekend but not enough to offset the amount of alcohol I drank – eek! I’m glad you had a great trip!

10. Mary says:

It sounds like you really practice mindful eating. I love reading about successful approaches like this.

I know having a healthy weight doesn’t have to be such a struggle, it doesn’t have to be an “all or nothing” lifestyle.
    Knowing it and acting on it are two different things…it really helps to read about people who seem to have “gotten” it!
    Thanks!

11. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

I’m so glad you had such a good trip. I hope that you like traveling half as much as I do, because it is wonderful to get out there and see new places. Meeting new people who are open and excited because they too are traveling. Eating fabulous new food, and a bit of not so fabulous, is all part of it. I love it!

Hope that you are settling in well, and thanks for being so sweet and comforting.

12. Carla says:

That’s great that you were away and continued to eat in a healthy manner while still enjoying yourself. Going away is used as an excuse to pig out more often than not for most of us! I’m glad you had a wonderful time.

13. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

What a special place to eat! I love it!

You have such a great attitude and approach to eating. It’s so great to see.

14. Kat says:

Congrats on losing weight while away from home! That menu option looks great!