Farmer’s Market & Chicken Fried Rice Recipe

Going to the Farmer’s Market makes me happy! The aroma of fresh herbs, flowers and the sight of colorful fresh fruits and veggies makes it a delight for all of the senses. Katy and I made it to the market before she had to head off to campus. We also managed to sneak in a quick trip into Whole Foods to get a few things. No time for looking around we had to stick to our list and by doing so we spent a lot less money!

We bought me a lovely bouquet of flowers in honor of Mother’s Day coming up! Katy got her organic kettle corn-if David is lucky she will share it with him. We picked out some good produce including basil, pea shoots, baby carrots, fingerling potatoes, cauliflower, green onions, kale and cilantro. The cilantro is so aromatic that you can smell it from 3 feet away. I am not kidding we could smell it as we approached the booth that was selling it! Tomorrow is May 5Th and that means Cinco De Mayo and around here it means Mexican Food! I will be making something using this incredible cilantro. Check out all of my Mexican recipes. They are all tried and true favorites.

The pea shoots are something new to me. They taste so clean and fresh and just like peas! I think I will put them in a salad. Have you seen these before?

Chicken Fried Rice

Last night I decided to pull out an old favorite recipe that I had not made in months and that was my Chicken Fried Rice. Katy says it is the most authentic tasting Chinese dish I make. Big on flavor but a lot less fat than take out. I would agree with that. I have made this with short grain brown rice and the family likes it better with a white long grain Jasmine rice. The short grain brown rice just has too much “chew” to it. I am working on some other stir fry recipes but this one is perfect as is! I don’t have the nutritional information figured out for it yet. Master cook software and I are not best friends yet and I got frustrated trying to plug this recipe in so I gave up on it for now.

Chicken Fried Rice

• ¼ cup fat free chicken broth
  • 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups chopped green onions including the green part
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (or you can use the stuff in the jar)
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 12 ounces diced, cooked chicken breast ( you can use left over pork, chicken, beef or shrimp)
  • *5 cups cooked long grain rice, chilled (I make it a day ahead if possible)
  • 6 ounces frozen peas, thawed
  • 4 ounces frozen corn, thawed
  • **1 cup  small broccoli florets lightly steamed
  • **½ cup carrots slices or dices, cooked

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a measuring cup and stir with a whisk. Set aside.

Heat vegetable oil in a large non stick skillet or wok, over a medium heat. Add eggs and stir for about half a minute, the eggs will be slightly cooked, add onions and ginger; stir fry for 1 minute, add the garlic, rice, cooked chicken, peas, corn, carrots and broccoli, stir fry until heated through about 3-4 minutes. Add broth mixture, remove from heat, and stir well to combine.

**I cook the carrots in a covered dish in the microwave and the broccoli to the carrot dish for the last half minute so it gets slightly steamed.

*The cooked rice has to be chilled so that the grains don’t stick together. You can make it earlier in the day as long as it has several hours to chill in the refrigerator.

Yield: 8 Servings

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 327 Calories; 11g Fat (29.2% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 81mg Cholesterol; 252mg Sodium.

Old WWP 7 / WWPP 9

Updated 3/24/11

Easy Egg Flower Soup

It is nice to serve the fried rice with some egg flower soup. If you have the time to make it from scratch that is great! I have found these little instant soup packets in the Asian food aisle of the grocery store and they are very good! As with all prepackaged foods it is heavy on the sodium so eater beware!

This was David’s dinner last night. He said these dishes make him think he is in a nice restaurant. The chop sticks were just a prop.! Our exchange student from Japan gave those to us years ago. We never did master them. A fork is so much easier!

Here are my flowers. I wish you could smell how sweet and fragrant they are.

Taking time to smell the flowers and enjoy simple pleasures.

2 pings

1. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I love this recipe! That looks so tasty and healthy at the same time!

Thanks for the reminder about taking time to smell the flowers. Life is too short not to.

I agree life is too short to not enjoy!

2. janine says:

love the flowers—fresh flowers always make me feel good. Congratulations on the new clothes—you deserve them–you’ve worked really hard at achieving your goal.
    Nope–I’ve never noticed pea shoots before, but now it’ll give me one more thing to look for.

Fresh flowers make me feel good too Janine. I don’t buy them very often but I enjoy it when I do.

Hope you can find the pea shoots!

3. tj says:

I love making Chinese food at home- Looks delicious! :)

The flowers are so pretty! Never had those pea shoots before- interesting! :)

Your Chinese food recipes always look good TJ.

See if you can find the pea shoots, they taste good!

4. Mary says:

I have never seen pea shoots before….I can’t wait to hear how you use them.
    The flowers are beautiful.

I just ate some plain yesterday, they were so refreshing!

5. Kristina says:

Im DEF going to try the Chicken Fried Rice AND the soup! My family will LOVE them! And your flowers are gorgeous. Our peony bushes are blooming and my son keeps bringing blooms in for me to put in little jars around the house! They are beautiful!

That is so cute that your son is bringing flowers to you. How old is he?

6. Dawne says:

Can I come for supper sometime? :)

Thank you for your support and taking the time to comment on my blog. It means a lot to me!

Dawne I wish you could come have a meal with me! We would have so much to talk about, it would awesome. Maybe one day a bunch of us will get to meet at a bloggers event.

7. Kat says:

The flowers are beautiful. I love our Farmer’s Market was was very happy when it re-opened last week. The rice looks very yummy. I will add it to my “to try soon” list. Thank you!

Kat I am very fortunate that my farmer’s market goes year round, rain or shine!

8. Leslie says:

Your bouquet is lovely! And your rice dish looks great – I’ll definitely be trying it. The pea shoots are new to me, too. Very interesting – looking forward to some recipe suggestions for them.

Report back when you try the rice recipe Leslie. I ate some pea shoots yesterday right out of the bag as a little snack and they were very refreshing!

Beautiful flowers and lovely looking vegetables…can hardly wait until we can pick our own from the garden.

Great looking recipes…we love homemade Chinese food. I want to find a recipe for a crispy Ginger Beef that isn’t deep fried.
    I put your rice ingredients through my Mastercook and it says that one serving is 320 calories, 8 grams fat{2 grams saturated} and 3 grams of fiber.
    Another of your recipes that I want to try!!

Hope you get to meet Barbo & Janine for lunch…I’m positive you would have a great time with them!

Carol, thank you for the Master Cook help! I posted the nutritional information and gave you credit! I was doing something terribly wrong as I was getting over 500 calories per serving. I could not find cooked chicken breast meat in the ingredients. I think I need a Master Cook class!

I hope Janine and Barbo can meet up with me next week, it would be so much fun. It would be even more fun if you could join us!

You’re most welcome Tami. I replied to your post at the Cafe…the chicken came up as cooked chicken breast half or halves. A lot of times I have to type in a lot of possible choices and most times the right one comes up.Shaz is a great one to ask for help as is Donna.

I would love to be able to join the 3 of you for lunch…Barbo & I had some good times when she was here.

That look yummy and it’s one of my favorites so I’ll have to give it a whirl! I know brown rice is supposed to be better but I always use white rice for Chinese. We just like it better.

I can’t wait for the Farmer’s Markets to start up around here, the produce from the grocery store has been awful lately.

11. Lisa says:

Oh…yum…I love love love fried rice. I will have to try this one.

Those flowers are gorgeous!!

12. Carla says:

Everything looks so wonderful! You take such beautiful pictures.

13. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

Yummy… Everything looks so darn good…

Thank you for all of your comments everyone! I enjoy getting the feed back and reading your thoughts. :-)

1. Latest authentic chinese recipe news – Easy Recipes For Quick Savoury Meals | Best Chinese food says:

[...] Farmer’s Market & Chicken Fried Rice Recipe | [...]

2. Beef Carnitas Tacos with Tomato Avocado Salsa | says:

[...] fixed a big batch of rice in the rice cooker Sunday so I can make Chicken Fried Rice for son David later today. It reheats nicely and he sometimes takes it in a thermos to campus with [...]