Marathon Shopping

In the past two days I have been to Trader Joe’s, the Organic Farmer’s Market, Whole Foods, Sam’s Club and Super Walmart. I wish I could get everything we like at one store, what a time saver that would be. At the end of today I felt like I had run a shopping marathon!  I spend at least three hours a week grocery shopping. Tuesdays are my Farmer’s Market day and I look forward to it. Since I had already purchased a lot of organic produce at Trader Joe’s I didn’t need much, but I did get some awesome strawberries, leaf lettuce, raspberries and kale at the Farmer’s market. These items are on the list of foods that are recommended to buy organic because of the high levels of pesticides found on the conventionally grown berries and greens. Just look at how beautiful they are, so rich in color and I wish you could smell the berries.

I also took the time today to look around in Whole Foods. I bought some old favorites as well as some new things to try. I will post product reviews as I use these items. There will be some good eats in my future!

After all of this “hunting and gathering” I had no energy left for creative cooking. When I was at Trader Joe’s I purchased some of their pre – made turkey patties and ground beef patties for hubby Tom to cook on the Weber grill. I prefer the turkey and hubby likes the beef.

Tom seasoned the patties with Cavender’s Greek Seasoning. We use this seasoning on beef, pork, chicken and fish. I buy it at the grocery store, Cost Plus or Walmart.

Caramelized onions and mushrooms took these burgers from good to outstanding! I have an easy method for the onions that turns out perfect every time. The caramelized onions are good on other sandwiches like pork, roast beef or chicken cutlets. Pictured is a turkey burger with some melted 2% cheddar cheese and those insanely delicious caramelized onions and mushrooms all nestled neatly on a sprouted bun. YUM!

Peel a yellow onion and cut it in half, then slice it thinly. Get your non stick skillet preheated over a medium heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil,the thinly sliced onion, a little sprinkle of sugar, soy sauce, minced garlic, a dash of red pepper and dried thyme if desired and let them cook until golden about 20 -30 minutes. If desired after 15 minutes add about 4 ounces of sliced crimini mushrooms and let them cook along with the onions and absorb some of the wonderful flavors. That is all it takes to create an amazing topping for your next burger. I know I have said it before but eating healthy does not mean you have to eat boring bland food. I cook healthy, delicious meals for my family and we eat a wide variety of foods including our favorite ethnic dishes. Check out some of my recipes by using the categories section of the side bar to the right. If you cook the foods you like with a healthy twist you and your family will love every bite! If you are feeling satisfied with the foods you are eating it is much easier to stay true to a healthy life style.

Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms

• 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thinly
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • a little pinch of red pepper (1/8 tsp or less)
  • a little pinch of dried thyme (1/8th tsp) if desired, depends on what you are serving the mixture on.
  • 4 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms or your favorite  mushroom variety

Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium heat, add all ingredients except mushrooms, stirring occasionally, after 15 minutes add mushrooms and let the mixture cook until the onions are golden brown and the mushrooms are cooked.  Add some non stick olive oil spray if the pan starts to get to dry.

This was a quick and easy meal that we had on the table in 30 minutes from start to finish. While the onions and mushrooms sautéed I made a fresh garden salad with one of our favorite salad dressings, Cardini’s Light Caesar. Nutritional information per 2 tablespoons; 80 calories, 7g fat.

How many different stores do you shop at for groceries?

Feeling gratitude for the variety of healthy, delicious foods available to fuel my body.

1 ping

1. Jo @ jagsfitnessblog.com says:

Oh my word, that burger looks divine!

I love Whole Foods but they only have stores in London and that is too far away for me to visit unless I’m in London for the day – booooo! I hope they plan on opening some more stores closer to where I live as their food is marvellous :-)

I had no idea Whole Foods was in England. Before I had one near by I had to drive about 30 minutes to the nearest store and I would take a cooler with me and go every couple of months to stock up!

2. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

You are not alone! I got to at least 3 different grocery stores, too!

I am on the lookout for that Cavender’s seasoning. Thanks for showing what it looks like!

Yum to all your food!

I hope you can find the seasoning Marisa. We love it!

3. WaistingTime says:

We buy a lot at Costco. Then there is the closest grocery store. And the one I pass once a week that has the best meats and chicken. And my Super Target, near my gym and relatively cheap. And, yes, there are a few items we can only get at Whole Foods. Phew. That is a lot.

It is a lot of work to go to so many different places!

You had a pretty good shopping trip Tami! I go to 3 or 4 different stores depending on how good the sales are.I do a lot of shopping at Costco.

What an awesome looking burger!!! I’m going to try your caramelized onions this weekend!

BTW, I left a message for you at the Cafe about the 5K training!

Oh yes I forgot about Costco, I go there too to get things Sam’s club doesn’t carry. Of course I go to Target as well and some things I only can get at Safeway or Raleys!

Thanks for the info about your 5K, that is so awesome. Anything that get’s up and moving is a good thing.

5. tj says:

looks like my shopping trip! I go to several stores. I hate it! We have the worst Safeway right here in town- so small and always out of stuff. I mainly go to Trader Joe’s but I would love to fit in a farmers market stop for my produce more often. The strawberries I got a couple of weeks ago were delicious and I am VERY jealous of yours! :)

ENJOY!

I am not a big fan of Safeway even though I have one just a few blocks from my house. Google Farmer’s Markets TJ and I am sure you can find one that is close to where you live.

6. LAF says:

Great job on the hunting and gathering. That’s true commitment!

I do love to eat so that is my motivation to go to so many stores!

7. karen@fitnessjourney says:

Wow, you must be very committed to spend so much time shopping. I generally go to one store only but once in a while hit a produce market in the area. I really should be more vigilant about getting to the market though, the produce is wonderful and so much cheaper.

8. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

Yum! We use Cavendar’s seasoning too. I use it with a chicken, tomato and pasta dish I make. Very, very tasty.

I only go to Kroger and Sam’s. We have no Trader Joe’s – no Whole Foods. We are in the country. :(

9. Erica @ Fashion meets Food says:

Wow you got a ton of awesome things! Those raspberries and strawberries look amazing! Let me know if you like those flavor and fiber bars i’ll send you a bunch. I bought a ton and lets just say that my body cant hand them :-o

xo

10. Genie@dietof51 says:

Do you deliver? Send that burger right over!

I shop at a group of grocery stores, too. From volunteering at our local Food Pantry on Saturday mornings, I also sometimes get organic produce from Trader’s. The stuff that won’t keep until distribution day (Thursday) goes home with volunteers.

11. Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ says:

I love your grocery shopping, that’s my kind of food.

12. Kat says:

Your burger looks delish! We buy many of the same products. I love sprouted grain breads and burger buns. I go to too many stores too. We have a newish market in Half Moon Bay called New Leaf Community Market. It is great to have a wonderful selection of local and organic produce near us. We also like Trader Joe’s and Costco and Whole Foods too.

1. Sweet dreams aren’t made of this… | Jags Fitness Blog says:

[...] was inspired by the lovely Tami at Nutmeg Notebook having seen the amazing burger that she made for dinner yesterday.  I decided I just had to have [...]