My Heroes

This has been a week of service repairs at our house. It started out on Monday with the gas Weber grill. The warranty repair man was awesome, he arrived on time, was kind and curtious and he fixed the problem. He was the first hero of the week. The grill is all ready to use now for the holiday weekend and hubby Tom’s birthday. He wants a steak for his birthday dinner so the timing is perfect!

My laptop has been running slower than usual. Yesterday I got my blog post up but not with out a couple hours of problems getting pictures to load and so on. It was a slow and difficult process. The laptop acted like it had ingested a huge holiday meal and had fallen into a carb-induced coma resulting in couch potato behavior! Not that I have any personal experience with such behavior! Thank goodness I had already scheduled a service call with CompuHero earlier in the week. If you live in my area check out the website at www.mycompuhero.com. We have hired CompuHero to fix several computer problems for both our personal and business needs. Once again CompuHero fixed the problem and my lap top is at peak performance today! Another hero this week at the Nutmeg Notebook household!

Yesterday I found out that my laptop has some kind of glitch in the hard drive that can’t be fixed so it needed to be replaced. No biggie, he had one with him and did a swap. There are a couple of things that I can do differently to help my laptop run more efficiently. One, I don’t always shut it off when it is not in use, so if I put it on standby it will help extend it’s life. Easy enough. I also sometimes like to use the laptop while I am sitting on the couch and I might rest it on a pillow which does not allow the fan to run correctly and it may cause the laptop to overheat. I sometimes leave it turned on and let it sit on a soft chair or the couch and then the  little air vent on the bottom can’t breath. The fact that I had over 500 sent emails still lingering may also have contributed to the slowness of my mail box loading.  I put things in the trash bin but then I don’t actually remember to dump it.

Long story short, if I tweak a few things here and there and create a couple new habits I will extend the life of my laptop and increase it’s efficiency in the process. Hey, I never claimed to be a techno wizard. My talents are in the kitchen!

As I lay awake in my bed at 4:00 this morning I was thinking about how the situation with my laptop is also a metaphor for living a healthy lifestyle. I am doing so many things right and with just a few tweaks here and there, and perhaps throwing out something that isn’t quite working, I can extend my years of optimal health and enjoy those years even more since I will be at my peak performance! I have to be my own hero on this one. No one else can make the changes, or enforce them, nor would I want them to try. I am kind of stubborn that way!

We had one more hero repair person arrive today, the piano tuner. He did an awesome job and our piano sounds amazing once again. Hubby Tom mentioned that the piano really wasn’t too out of tune to which the piano tuner said, “Any degree of being out of tune is still out of tune.” I love that!

It is all about balance isn’t it? If we are just a little off, out of tune, or things are out of balance, life doesn’t seem to go quite right.

Being my own hero and creating balance.

1 ping

1. Leslie says:

I love the piano tuner’s wisdom! It’s kind of like being “a little pregnant”! You are or you aren’t.

It’s so nice when people who come to work on our “issues” are competent as well as pleasant and helpful. Sounds like you have some good service folks in your area!

Have a great weekend, and happy birthday to your husband!

2. Leslie says:

Sorry to double dip, but I forgot to mention that one of your planned dinners for the week, the salmon and strawberry spinach salad sounded so fantastic that I printed the recipes and am going to try it this weekend! Thank you!

3. WaistingTime says:

“Being my own hero and creating balance.” – I love this! What a great moral to your story… for all of us.

4. Bringing Pretty Back says:

Thank heaven we have hero’s like that to save the day!
    Also, thank you for your comment.You were a WISE woman to always fix yourself up and not lose her pretty in the first place!
    Have a pretty night,
    Kristin

5. Genie@dietof51 says:

That is a wise piano man. Sounds like everything is all tweaked and ready for a good weekend at your place. Enjoy!

6. Tish says:

Good post. Isn’t it amazing how good it feels to have X fixed. The air conditioner guy is one of my particular heros, especially in summer, but the computer guy would run a close second. And I like the metaphor–little tweaks can make a difference. My concept of incremental improvements, I’m already doing a lot of things right, but I’m learning all the time. Enjoy the weekend with your working grill, laptop, and piano!

7. Carla says:

Great post! It’s so true! The same could be said for deleting the cookies on your computer – sometimes we have to do that with our diets too! ;)

8. Blueraspberry says:

I want your pantry — it looks like something out of a magazine…full, neat, and BIG!! My sister has a similar walk in affair – I meanwhile manage with a modern excuse for a pull out thing that has no space for the box you want to store, and cant fit two tins one behind the other – one and a half – but not two….designed by a man I am sure.

Blue~

9. Lisa says:

Fabulous post!!! Love it!!

10. fittingbackin says:

Love your thinking and the ‘being your own hero’ idea – it is definitely all on each of us to be healthy which can make it HARD! Glad you had great luck with both service providers!

11. Kat says:

Glad you got your laptop in shape. I love the way you compare the changes to your health and fitness. I absolutely agree, we need to be our own hero’s.

12. Sunshine Mama says:

What a great post! It is so true though! It’s little tweeks to our diet that will make a difference!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

13. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

This is very wise. It doesn’t always take a huge shift, sometimes it just takes a little swing in the right direction!

14. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

Good for you Tami. It does make a lot of sense, and is perfect. I’m glad you’re being your own hero. It really is the little thing.

1. Waisting Time , Archive » Analogical says:

[...] technology issues with her computer and realized how that situation with her laptop was also a metaphor for living a healthy lifestyle.  “I am doing so many things right and with just a few tweaks here and there, and perhaps [...]