Pork Ribs & Broccoli Slaw

Happy Memorial Day everyone! Blessings to all the men and women who have served our country and their families for the sacrifices they have made. My father and my father in law served in the military and we fly our flag today in honor of them and all of their fellow soldiers.

We had a big bar-b-que on Saturday. I changed our menu a bit after daughter Katy requested my pork ribs. I already had a salmon dish planned so we just added some pork loin ribs and made it a huge feast. This is the easiest pork rib recipe and it results in the most tender and delicious ribs. It all starts in the oven with a sliced onion and a can of beer and then you finish off the tender ribs on the bar-b-que grill. YUM! This is not low fat or healthy but it is a once in a while delicious treat.

My favorite prepared barbecue sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s. Get two bottles so you can serve some extra barbecue sauce on the side. This stuff is lip smacking good! Maybe I should say finger licking good, ribs are messy, so have plenty of napkins on hand!

Fall Off The Bone Tender Ribs

• 2-3 racks of baby back ribs about 6 pounds
  • 1 yellow onion sliced
  • 1-12 ounce can of beer (non alcoholic beer works fine)
  • Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce plus some extra for the table

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs by using a small knife, pry the tip of the knife between the membrane and the bone at the edge of the ribs once you have it lifted, grab it with a piece of paper towel and pull it off, it should come off in one big piece, discard it.

In a large roasting pan spread out the sliced onion, season the ribs with the sea salt and fresh ground black pepper,pour the beer over the top. Cover tightly with a piece of foil. Put in preheated oven for 2 hours.

Remove from oven, discard the onion and cooking liquid. Brush both sides of ribs with barbecue sauce, place meat side down on a preheated grill. Grill on both sides for 10 -15 minutes per side or until lightly charred, basting with barbecue sauce a couple times per side. Cut slabs into individual ribs and serve with more barbecue sauce.

Yield: 24 – 4 ounce servings approximately 2 ribs

(calculated based on 6 pounds of pork baby back ribs and Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce, how fatty the ribs are and what kind and how much sauce you use will affect the nutritional information.)

Per 4 ounces (approximately 2 ribs): 330 Calories; 22g Fat (61.2% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 52mg Cholesterol; 194mg Sodium.

Old WWP 8 / New WWPP 9

Recipe adapted from one found on a message board on the Cooking Light message board.

Recipe and post updated 3/25/11

This is my plate and yes I really did eat all of this plus one more rib not pictured!  Corn on the cob, oven roasted broccoli, oven roasted new potatoes with garlic, broccoli slaw and Honey Glazed Salmon.

Apple broccoli slaw is one of my favorite side dish salads. It is so refreshing, with crispy broccoli slaw mix, crunchy apples, sweet dried cranberries and nutty sunflower seeds. The dressing is a combo of vinegar, brown sugar, and a small amount of oil. It is the perfect picnic salad since it does not contain any mayonnaise.

Apple Broccoli Slaw

Yield:  8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

VINAIGRETTE:

• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

SLAW:

• 2 1/2 cups chopped Pink Lady or other sweet apple
  • 1 (12-ounce) package broccoli slaw
  • 1 (3-ounce) package dried tart cherries or cranberries about 2/3 cup (I use less, about 1/3 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted sunflower seed kernels
  • To prepare vinaigrette, combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.

To prepare slaw, combine apple, broccoli slaw, and dried cherries. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds; chill for up to 3 hours.

I like to use less brown sugar so I would suggest you start with about half and taste it, then add more if you need it.
CALORIES 125 (29% from fat); FAT 4g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.1g,poly 1.1g); IRON 0.9mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 33mg; CARBOHYDRATE 24.9g; SODIUM 91mg; PROTEIN 2.1g; FIBER 2.7g

Old WWP 2 / New WWPP 4

Adapted from Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2002

1 ping

1. WaistingTime says:

Both of these recipes look yummy:)

2. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

As usual, your photos look absolutely gorgeous. You should really do a cookbook. Everything looks so delicious.

Thanks JBS!

3. Lisa says:

My husband smoked pork ribs today too…and we used the identical barbeque sauce…how funny…

Thanks for your encouraging comment regarding teens…sheesh…it’s exhausting sometimes…

4. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

Yum to it all! Sweet Baby Ray’s is my favorite bbq sauce, too!

5. Tish says:

Oh my GOSH, those look sooo good. My mouth is literally watering! It’s a good think that we’re going out for dinner in a few minutes, because my appetite has certainly been whetted by your post. I hope I didn’t accidentally pick up some calories while reading! I love Cooking Light recipes that and Eating Well are the only magazines we’ve gotten for years.

6. Genie@dietof51 says:

Yum! My husband barbecued ribs today, but I can tell that your results are far superior. (His were marginally edible IMO.) I’m going to copy your recipe and give it to him for next time. If he’s going to make a big deal out of “cooking” (and he did), the end product should be worth eating.

You should do a cookbook! I’m going to try that slaw, too.

Fly the flag and remember…..

7. Dawne says:

Yum! I love broccoli/pineapple slaw with pork tenderloin. It’s simply a slaw mix, crushed pineapple, cilantro, red onion, salt and pepper, mayo mixed with pineapple juice. LOVE IT! I’ll be trying your slaw too.

It was helpful to read your comment on my blog. We like this boy, but he is of a different faith. You are right – give it to prayer. Funny how I needed to be reminded of that.

8. Kim says:

Oh my! Those ribs look amazing and the photo of your slaw is beautiful! I know where I want to spend next Memorial Day.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to following along on yours. :)

9. fittingbackin says:

ooooh thanks for the grilled idea! Those look amazing – I have to find that BBQ sauce!!

10. Kat says:

I agree about the cookbook…:-) Those ribs look so good – I am going to save the recipe. I made broccoli slaw this weekend too. Now I want to try your recipe and Dawne’s too.

11. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I wish I had that broccoli slaw recipe yesterday! That looks delicious!

12. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

Hey I use Sweet Baby Ray’s as well. It’s so yummy…. Everything looks so nice… Yum.

Awesome looking food Tami!!

I agree on the cookbook idea….you have so many great recipes!!

14. tj says:

I love love love RIBS! It’s been years since my Mom made them…mainly because she tries to make healthier stuff for me & she knows I will OD on them! lol Might need to TREAT myself soon….you reminded me that it’s OK. :)

I love that apple slaw salad- looks SO good! :)

15. tj says:

OH! that is my favorite BBQ sauce…I left that out! lol

Take out the Salmon and you and I had an almost identical meal!! (Our broccoli slaw did not have apples.) There is an art to really good ribs – if someone is asking you to make them you know you’ve perfected it!

1. Carol’s Shortcut Eggs Benedict / Blog Update / Road Trip | says:

[...] Happy Labor Day! We are having a relaxing day at home. Hubby Tom and I went for a lovely walk this morning and it was beautiful out! I just got my ribs prepped and in the oven. You can see my fall off the bone rib recipe here. [...]