Shopping Spree and Mothering

Thank you for all of the wonderful supportive comments about me reclaiming my WW goal weight and Katy’s achievements. So many nice things were said and I appreciate all of the kind support. The blogging community is awesome! We learned a lot at the study abroad orientation. It was a long day but we had a good time.

On the way back home we stopped off at Ann Taylor Outlet and I had a mini shopping spree. Hubby Tom walked around and stretched his legs while Katy helped me shop for some new tops. We both tried on a bunch of cute clothes. It is so much more fun to shop when things fit again and you like the size on the tag! I came home with some cute things and the weather is finally warming up here this week so I will get to wear them too. Now I am going to start weeding through my closet and getting rid of things I don’t like anymore.

So I guess the color scheme is going to be black white and green for me this summer! Not pictured are some camisoles in the same color scheme. I am waiting to lose a few more pounds before I purchase new Capri pants and shorts. At this point five pounds can make a difference in pant size. What I enjoy about Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor loft clothes is that everything is color coordinated. The clothes are mostly fitted styles which works well for me and they carry petites. I am off to a good start with putting together a new wardrobe.

You have to check this out we are once again sharing our patio with momma hummingbird! This is the third year she has built her nest on top of our bistro patio lights. I had said I was going to take them down this year so this didn’t happen again but she got her nest built when I wasn’t paying attention. Hubby Tom took photos for me as he had to stand on a bench to be tall enough and to get a peek inside the nest.

When he saw that she already had her eggs in the nest we knew we had to let her stay. The eggs are about the size of jelly beans. It is really neat to see her feeding the baby (usually only one hatches) but it also makes a mess on our patio. It is little pooh but all that little pooh makes a big mess!

I sat out on the patio to eat my fruit at lunch and she was not happy with me so she came by and buzzed at me trying to scare me off. She had to give it up and get back on her nest to keep those eggs warm.  I was thinking about how she goes to great lengths to provide a safe place for her eggs and eventually her offspring. Even standing up to the likes of a human who is so much bigger than her.

It is not any different for humans. We as mother’s do what ever it takes to provide for our children. Nutritious food, a safe and comfortable home, medical care, loving support, spiritual guidance, hugs and encouragement.  We know that our children need balanced healthy meals to grow properly and we make sure we are buying and preparing all the healthy things they need to eat. If they need to exercise or practice for a sport no problem we go out of our way to participate with them so they don’t have to go it alone. When they need words of encouragement, praise and motivation you better bet we are the first ones to tell them all the great things about themselves and how they can do anything they want to do.

What does this have to do with a healthy lifestyle and losing weight? We should treat ourselves with that same conviction and determination that we use to care for our children. We deserve healthy nutritious meals and snacks even if it take a little extra time to make them. We need to exercise for our health even if it means something else might not get done today. We need to tell ourselves we can lose weight and be healthy, we are worth it and we can accomplish anything we set our minds to. We need to “mother” ourselves.

It reminds me of the BE-DO-HAVE formula that Dr Phil talks about in his book The Ultimate Weight Solution. I have posted about it before but it bares repeating.  Dr Phil says,” sometimes you have to behave yourself to success. The goals you set for yourself, and the way you describe them are critical to reversing that negative momentum so that you succeed for the long haul. You must be driven in just such a way to shed pounds, keep them shed and live your life in a healthy, positive way. That is your priority. You must hold  yourself to a higher standard now. Make the resolve to be committed. Know that you are special and that your goals are worth having, and when you achieve them, step up and claim your right to have them.” (from page 39 of  The Ultimate Weight Solution)

He goes on to talk about this tried and true formula  BE-DO-HAVEBE committed, DO what it takes, and you will HAVE what you want. I have found this mantra to be very helpful.You might like to print this out or copy it down on a note card and let it be your inspiration this week.

BE – DO – HAVE

BE COMMITTED

DO WHAT IT TAKES

HAVE WHAT YOU WANT

Eating healthy and loving every bite.

1. Mary says:

This is a great post….many words of wisdom.
    I love the clothes!!

Tank you Mary. I enjoy Dr Phil’s book on weight loss. It is packed with good information. I just have to go back and read it again and again for it all to sink in!

2. tj says:

I love the clothes you bought- very pretty colors! :)

awww I love the humming bird pics- hey my Mom got me hooked on watching this site with a bird they named Phoebe- ever see it?

SO cute- She is a trooper- even fought off a lizard a few weeks ago- but sadly she lost those eggs to another bird :( She keeps trying.

3. Dawne says:

I love the greenish/blue blouse with the waist band. LOVE IT!!!! Those are three easy words to remember…I will use them.

They are easy to remember Dawne and it makes so much sense too!

4. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I love that BE – DO – HAVE saying! And your clothes are adorable!!

Thanks Diane! I can’t wait to wear something new!

5. LAF says:

That is a very unique hummingbird situation. You will have to keep us posted when the eggs hatch!
    Most excellent mantra!

Glad you like the mantra. Yes it is unique and we will have to post more pictures when we have babies!

6. karen@fitnessjourney says:

Cute clothes! Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft are two of my favorites. I actually own that little short sleeved cardigan in yellow and ivory.

Love the Dr. Phil mantra-Be-Do-Have. I like that he adds the “have”. It’s always good to keep the eyes on the prize.

Well you must have good taste in clothes if we have the same cardigan sweater!

7. Lisa says:

I love Ann Taylor! When I lost all my weight before I lived in Ann Taylor and the Loft. So…..WHEN I lose it again…I have some really cute Ann stuff in the closet.

Your clothes are really cute!

I can’t believe the eggs are that small. My mom had 2 homes…one is in NC and the hummingbirds come right up to the porch. There so cute.

You will be back into your cute clothes in no time!

8. She-Fit says:

My husband lives by the BE-DO-HAVE Moto.
    By the way, great picks from Ann Taylor… I LOVE that place

Me Too!

9. Kim says:

I always love your nature pics. Hummingbirds are so fascinating. :) You are right. We have to set a good example for our kids…we can’t just feed them healthy and expect they’ll never have food issues if we do not change our issues. Thanks for the inspring post…needed it. :) Thanks for responding about that book by the way. I’ll buy it the next time I’m grocery shopping. Can’t wait to see your review. I totally understand about having so much to blog about and not having the time to do it all…I run into that all the time.

Hey Kim I am glad the post was inspiring to you. I just want to share what has been helping me.

Do buy the book. I hope to blog about it soon. I just need quiet time where I can sit down and think about what I want to say.

10. Carla says:

Wonderful post, it gives me lots to think about! I like that motto for this week.

I also LOVE birds! We don’t have a lot of hummingbirds here in Montreal, at least I’ve never seen one. I would love to see more pics when the egg hatches!

I am glad you enjoyed the post Carla.

We will try to get more photos when the baby or babies hatch.

Hubby will have to be my photographer as I am way too short!

11. Kat says:

Ooh a mini shopping spree! Fun! I love the Be Do Have quote.

12. Melissa says:

I like the Be Do Have thing. Very true. Sometimes we even treat strangers and associates better than we do ourselves and when we do treat ourselves well, we actually feel guilty. How backwards!!

You are right, that is so backwards!

13. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

I think its great that I can come here to your bloggy blog and learn something new every time… You are a great writer and a great motivation to many you know. You make me want to do better and sometimes I need that to try to keep up with my goals..
    Its so true about the mommy thing. WOW….
    Fantastic post ….

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much your comments means to me.I just want to share the things that are helping me stay the course and live a healthy life.