Basil Salmon Recipe and A Blog Award

It seems everyone else in the house is busy doing their own thing and I have a little extra time for blogging. S-h-h-h don’t tell because if they know, surely someone will need me to do something for them! I am not kidding it seems as soon as I sit down to write a post the phone rings, the door bell rings, or someone needs me to help them find something they have missed placed! What is up with that?

I was awarded the Beautiful Blogger Award last week by two other bloggers. Karen from Wasting Time and Deb from Deb Will Be Free both awarded me this honor! Thank you blog buddies! Be sure to check out their blogs. I think you will enjoy their topics!

These things always come with rules and I am to tell you seven things about myself that you don’t know.

1. I love red shoes and red cars. I wonder what that says about my personality?

2. I am the only girl in a family of 4 children. I was blessed with three brothers who kept me on my toes growing up. They have all turned out to be really nice guys and I no longer want to trade them in for sisters!

3. I have auburn colored hair and I have never dyed my hair or had it highlighted.

4. I like to dance in the kitchen with my 2o year old son but don’t tell his friends.

5. Entertaining makes me a nervous wreck. I believe I am a good cook so I don’t understand my reaction. I fret about what to make, will it be enough, will it turn out, will they like what I cook?! I make myself and my family a little crazy in the process.

6. I love to wear skirts and dresses, dressing like a lady is just so much fun!

7. When we get our kids through college I would like to travel. We have not explored the East coast and I would like to go back to Europe.

The other rule attached to this award is to award it to other bloggers. Well I don’t know how to even begin to choose as you see the blog roll to the right is rather full. I like all of these bloggers and hope you will check out their blogs if you have not already done so.

Last but not least I have to share this recipe!

Salmon is one of my favorite fish to fix at home. The trick is to not overcook it. Remember that it continues to cook for a few minutes after you take it out of the pan or off the heat so remove it while it is still a little under cooked and it will be perfect. You can always cook it a little longer if it is too under done but if you over cook it you are just out of luck. I also like to buy individually wrapped and frozen salmon fillets. They thaw out quickly and I can keep them on hand for a quick and easy meal.

I made this salmon recipe the other night and I had forgotten how good it is. It is an unusual mix of ingredients but they work so well together. Make some brown rice and a green vegetable to round out the meal. This is perfection!

Basil Salmon

• 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 pound salmon fillets

Sauté garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except salon and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Add salmon to pan, reduce heat to low, spoon sauce over top and cover until salmon is flaky, about 8 minutes depending on how thick the fillets are.

Pour remaining sauce over salmon and serve.

Yield: 4 Servings (my serving size)

Per Serving  @ 4 Servings: 187 Calories; 6g Fat (32.7% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 381mg Sodium.  Old WWP 4 / New WWPP 4

Yield: 2 Servings (Hubby Tom’s serving size)

Per Serving @ 2 servings: 374 Calories; 12g Fat (32.7% calories from fat); 46g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 118mg Cholesterol; 763mg Sodium.   Old WWP 8 / NewWWPP 8

Recipe and nutritional information updated 3/25/11

Recipe adapted from The Spice Hunter

Do you have a set time and place that you work on your blog posts?

1. Amanda says:

Hey congrats on the award!

2. Tish says:

Thank you. I’ve found my dinner for tonight! This is safely copied to my recipe file. I have no set time or place to compose my blogs. A problem. I also run into the issue of interruptions, the minute I sit down to blog. I hope to establish more of a routine.

3. Natasha says:

Hi Tami, thanks so much for your comments on my blog! Your salmon looks delicious. I like salmon but hubby doesn’t so I’m going to try this recipe for myself for lunch this week :-)

4. Deb Willbefree says:

:D Thanks for the kind words. You know, I’m always a wreck about having people oveer. My list is exactly like yours only I add “Is my house clean enough?” to the list. I much prefer people to jusb drop in–that way, I have no anticipatory anxiety and things go much better!

Deb

5. Janine says:

Congratulations on the award–I think it was a great choice!
    Love salmon, and often make several portions at once, then just micro during the week for a quick reheat.
    Ditto on the entertaining front.

6. Leslie says:

Congratulations on the well deserved awards, Tami. I wish my 21 and/or 23 y/o sons would dance in the kitchen with me! Actually they both will dance with me at weddings and such, so that counts for something! Also, my kids would tell you that I make EVERYONE crazy when we’re having company or worse, a party! I get pretty crazy and anal.

Thanks for the salmon recipe! Your getting to be one of my favorite recipe sources in blogdom!

7. Melissa says:

That looks yummy!! Congrats on the award.

8. fittingbackin says:

AMAZING!! Love the sound of those ingredients and definitely want to try this.

congrats on the award – well deserved!

I don’t – sometimes it’s during a break at work, sometimes home!

9. sunshine mama says:

That’s cool that your 20-year-old son still dances with you in the kitchen. Congrats on your award!

10. Lara (Thinspired) says:

Hi there! Thank you for your comment on my blog :) Basil salmon…wow…that sounds HEAVENLY! I am a huge salmon fan and always looking for new ways to cook it.

11. Kim says:

Hehehe, I’m leaving you another award over on my blog. :)

12. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

Wonderful looking salmon dish! And congratulations to you – much deserved!

13. The Actors Diet says:

this looks delicious! i like to blog from bed. ;)

14. Corletta Brown says:

Thank you for your super supportive comment! I won’t lie; life is good!!! By the way, I enjoyed getting to know you through this post!

15. Corletta Brown says:

You are the second person who had said that I will be weighing in on their birthday! Very neat! That day better be full off good news :)

Congrats on the award! I love reading more about you! Never colored the hair. Crap, at my age, I wish I could do it every 3 weeks but not enough money! :-)

17. Kerri says:

You take such great pictures of your meals! The basil samon looks and sounds amazing…I have to try that!
    No set time for me for blogging…I often wonder how others find the time to post something daily. I either post early in the morning or late at night!

18. Bringing Pretty Back says:

You deserve the award! CONGRATS!
    Kristin

19. Carla says:

That salmon looks fantastic!!! Congrats on the blog award too!

Great looking recipe! Congrats on your awards Tami!

I posted to this yesterday but my post seems to be missing! :(

21. Genie@dietof51 says:

Congrats on your well-deserved awards! Send that salmon right over.

22. Kat says:

Congrats on your award! The salmon looks great. I am not structured with my blog. I blog when the feeling moves me. It works for me…:-)

23. Lisa says:

I can’t believe you have never colored or highlighted your hair. You hair must be so healthy!! When I was younger, I wanted auburn hair so badly. Not in the cards for me. I have blond (heavily highlighted) hair. It’s been dark brown, strawberry blond, and barbie blond and everything in between. Who knows what it is naturally anymore….lol.