Fitness Friday / Aqua Jogger

Earlier in the week I gave you a little hint that I had added something new to my exercise routine and today is the unveiling of my new Aqua Jogger. Hubby Tom purchased it for me on the Internet from www.aquajogger.com

(This is not a paid endorsement, I wasn’t given this product to try and everyone should check with their doctor before starting any form of exercise)

I actually first tried the Aqua Jogger years ago when I was recovering from a serious accident where all the bones in my left ankle were crushed. I had surgery on my ankle and was put back together with screws, pins and a 4 inch long steel bar. I spent a few months in a wheel chair and then another few months of physical therapy to learn how to walk again. During my recovery a PE teacher brought over an Aqua Jogger from her high school for me to use in our pool. She told me she would have students with injuries use it while they were recovering so they could keep in shape. I was grateful to be able to exercise with out any impact to my ankle.

I fully recovered and resumed my outdoor walking and even started jogging until I started having knee problems. When I started to gain weight my knees started hurting and about the same time I got arthritis in them. Since I have lost weight it has taken pressure off my knees, making walking more enjoyable again. Did you know that for every extra pound you carry it creates 4 extra pounds of pressure on your joints!

I got the petite belt that is made for smaller women who are short waisted, that would be me! Hubby Tom got me the kit with the Delta Bells, the Aqua Runners, an instruction booklet and an instructional DVD. If you want the petite belt in one of the kits you have to call them to place the order rather than using the on line ordering system.

History: The Aqua Jogger buoyancy belt was originally developed in Eugene Oregon as a water rehabilitation tool for pre – and post surgery patients and athletes. It allows you to have impact free deep water exercise. This is perfect for my arthritic knees!

How it works: The Aqua Jogger fits around your waist with an adjustable belt.┬áSuspended up to your neck in deep water with the Aqua jogger belt you can breath normally as you move in a jogging motion. Your feet don’t touch the bottom of the pool so it is impact free. The water provides resistance in all directions and you control the amount of resistance by your speed of movement.

The DeltaBells are great for your arms. The triangular shape allows you to vary the resistance and intensity depending on how you turn your wrist.

The AquaRunners are for adding another level of intensity to the work out. I have not tried them yet, I am so excited to have the Aqua Jogger and am having fun with it so I will save the runners for when I need to change things up again.

Fun Facts: Waters buoyancy virtually eliminates the effects of gravity – supporting 90 percent of the bodies weight. Water acts as a cushion for the bodies weight bearing joints. This is great news for my knees and my ankle. Exercising in the water reduces stress on muscles tendons and ligaments.

A 140 pound woman only weighs 14 pounds in the water. Really? Honey, can we move into the pool?

I was looking for an alternative activity for exercise besides walking outside and using hand weights. I love my walks but I was feeling like I needed something more to work on my legs since I am not able to do deep lunges or deep knee bends. I was inspired by Tracy at TJ’s Test Kitchen as she blogs about her pool work outs. Then I remembered using the Aqua Jogger and how much I enjoyed the experience.

The Aqua Jogger is perfect. I could really feel a difference after the first 30 minute work out I did. The next day a different set of muscles were sore from my water work out. I also love the DeltaBells and I get a good upper arm workout using them. I like that my head is above the water and my hair doesn’t get wet while I work out in the pool. I don’t want to have to wash my hair every time I get in the pool to work out.

Cross Training: It’s nice to have different forms of exercise so you can work different muscle groups. I am still working on my upper arms and I actually have some muscle showing now and the bat wings are getting smaller! Yippee! Three mile walks, water jogging, bike riding and resistance training are my chosen forms of exercise.

I added a photo page and a food philosophy page just click on the tabs at the top of the home page if you want to take a peek.

We will be packing up and heading out for our road trip in a couple of days so my next post will most likely be from the road somewhere between California and Nebraska.

What is your favorite form of exercise?

Having fun in the water!

1. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

How fantastic.. If I had a pool id get that. But my little mans kiddie pool won’t do.. hahaha…

This post is too perfectly timed for me! I am heading to my mom’s lake house and she has something like this stuck in a closet somewhere and now I am motivated to dig it out.

I like a long bike ride on a beautiful day:)

Running is my poison – we have a love/hate relationship. I know lots of runners who have used aqua joggers to recover from injuries and still keep their running mojo. Have fun on your trip.

4. tj says:

AAAAHHHH I am screaming over here! That is what I do!!!!! :) I call it running in the deep end! lol I love it!!!!!

:) Gotta get my suit on- it’s a POOL DAY! :)

5. Tish says:

Tami, It sounds like you’ve got a winner. I like how you’re saving one part for a later treat, too. I think this is what my son used when he was injured and out for a month during cross country season. It must have worked, because he went on to take 3rd in the state.
    I am lucky enough (knocking on wood while I type) to be able to run and I really enjoy it. I’ll never be fast, but I chug along and love being on the nature trail. I like to run by myself. I listen to music (60s songs) and think, enjoy the sights, and even pray as I run. It’s a renewal time for me AND it makes me feel so virtuous! I also enjoy biking with DH and Wii Tennis and Yoga. I don’t esp’ly enjoy going to the gym, but I do it anyway.

6. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

Wonderful review! I have never exercised in the water, but know it’s a great workout and so easy on your joints. How exciting you are getting ready for your trip!

7. Brightside-Susan says:

My sister keeps nagging me to take the water classes at my gym because I have been complaining of my knee pain. Your results sound very promising – so Maybe I will. I will be the yingest class member by many, many years!!

Cross training is a good thing and yes, people with joint issues or coming back from injuries & such, a good thing! I am not a pool person but I know people that love it!!!

Me, you know I love my weights! :-)

9. Erica @ Fashion meets Food says:

This looks like fun! Too bad I don`t know how to swim lol.

enjoy your weekend!

xo

10. Toronto Fitness says:

This is nice, it helps your muscles contracts more. Besides the fact that its unique its also fun while doing this is the pool or any water surface.

11. karen@fitnessjourney says:

I didn’t know that you had that type of accident Tami, my Mom had a similar one last spring and is having a lot of difficulty still, a year later. I wish she would consider something like this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Happy holidays Tami!!

Exercise for me is plain old walking and mowing the lawns!!

13. Debby says:

Oh wow! We’ve been wintering in FL for about 5 years now and come September, we’ll be living there full time. We’ve got 2 pools in the park. They have water aerobics, but this looks like so much more…something I can do on my own. I love it and I will be looking into it for sure.

Thank you for sharing!

14. fittingbackin says:

Very cool! I just heard about this on another blog this morning – sounds so neat! I want a pool! LOL

I like swimming, and running is my fitness foundation. This time of year, it’s great to be in the water!

16. Carla says:

I hope you’re having a good time on your road trip!

My favorite exercise would have to be running or walking outside on the forest trails or around the neighborhood.

I’m sure you’re going to enjoy that workout in your pool! :)

17. Kerri says:

That’s awesome! It’s great to find a workout you enjoy…that’s when it really works! I agree though…you have to change it up every now and then to work a different area/set of muscles. I love Step Aerobics…we have a super instructor at our rec center but she is away all summmer. So, I’ve been taking a water boot camp…and I love it! I read somewhere that the water resistance is 12 times more than land exercise. Anyway, it’s fun and I feel great afterwards.
    Have fun on your trip!