Jajick Cheese Spread Appetizer & eReader Questions

I love Mondays! I know that a lot of people dread Mondays but I see them as a window into a new week of possibilities. This morning I had a beautiful walk outside on my favorite nature trail you can see photos of it here.

I have both crock pots going today. I use to only use my crock pot/slow cooker in the winter months but I have decided that I should use it during the summer to keep the kitchen cooler! Why did it take me so long to figure this out?

I have the easiest but most delicious Beef Stroganoff in one crock pot, you can see the recipe here. Italian Sausages are simmering in spaghetti sauce in the other and I will post that recipe later in the week. It smells heavenly in here right now. I will cook some Ronzoni Smart Taste extra wide noodles to go with the Stroganoff and some whole wheat pasta to accompany the sausages. YUM!

Our son David works at UPS as a loader for the delivery trucks and he comes home famished from all the physical work. He works from 5:00-9:00 AM (perfect for a college student) and he likes to have pasta at 9:15 AM when he gets home from his morning shift! I know it is weird to see him eating plates of pasta or burritos that early in the day but he has breakfast at 4:30 AM. I need to have leftovers for him to heat and eat and these two recipes make a lot of food and reheat quite nicely.

To recap a little from the weekend, I had to come up with an appetizer to take to a friends Sunday night. As I went through my recipes I came across this cheese spread called Jajick. My daughter’s Assyrian friend gave it to us years ago out of her Grandmother’s family cookbook. I have made it many times over the years and everyone loves it!

It is perfect on a hot day as it is cool and refreshing. The combination of green onions, fresh parsley, sweet basil, dried tarragon with fresh ground black pepper is mixed with cottage cheese that has been blended smooth with low fat cream cheese. Not a cottage cheese fan? No worries you will never know it is cottage cheese once it is blended. Serve it with plenty of fresh vegetables for dipping, baked pita chips or your favorite whole grain crackers. I didn’t have to alter the original recipe as it called for low fat ingredients. A couple tablespoons goes a long way, so dip in and enjoy!

Jajick Cheese Spread

• 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese
  • 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Sweet Basil, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the  cottage cheese and cream cheese in the work bowl of a food processor or Blentec Blender and blend until creamy and smooth.

Add the rest of the ingredients and using the pulse function pulse until onions and herbs are thoroughly mixed in.

Put cheese spread into a serving dish, cover and chill for a couple of hours before serving.

Serve with vegetable dippers, baked pita chips, fresh pita cut into triangles or whole grain crackers.

Yield: 12 Servings

Per Serving: 85 Calories; 5g Fat (55.0% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 320mg Sodium.

Old WWP 2 / New WWPP 2

Updated 3/25/11 to include nutritional information

Sorry I don’t have the nutritional information on this recipe. Since I had my computer worked on I have not reinstalled the Master Cook soft ware and it had some issues so I am looking into other soft ware. I am wondering if any of you have a recipe/nutritional soft ware program that you like to use.

Katy and I went to Barnes and Noble and learned all about their electronic reader called the Nook. We think it would be awesome for her to take to Spain. Since she is an English/Spanish major books are her treasures. Do any of you have a Nook or a Kindle? If so, I would love to hear your reviews.

I have three questions for you.

Do you use a slow cooker/crock pot, if so, do you use it in the summer?

Do you use any soft ware for recipes/nutritional information?

Do you have a Nook or Kindle eReader, if so, do you like it?

Loving Mondays!

I just used mine last week. I love the crockpot because I am a morning person and it is easier to get everything in there and have it ready later.

I don’t use any software. But I love allrecipes.com.

2. janine says:

Lately I’ve been BBQing more than anything. I usually use the crockpot for soups, and so haven’t used it lately (too hot).
    I’ve heard the Kindle has had time for the kinks to be worked out–and the Nook has great support from BandN. I’m wondering about international downloads for the Nook, though??? I know Kindle has that ability. I don’t know prices of downloads and availability of the types of books she wants to read, though that would be a consideration.
    Loved the pix of your backyard–it looks beautiful.

You are right that she won’t be able to download books abroad with the Nook, I would have to down load them and send them to her via email. She is still researching and deciding. Thanks for all the input and ideas.

3. Kat says:

I have a crock pot, but do not use it enough. Thank you for the dip recipe. It looks great!

4. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

I haven’t used The Crocker in a while. Which makes the husband very happy ;) I still have to try your beef stroganoff recipe! It may help revive The Crocker!

Jajick cheese sounds cool!

No Nook or Kindle here. I’m an old-fashioned library book girl! LOL!

5. Tish says:

I’ve always used the crockpot in winter, but you make me wonder . . . it sure would be convenient to have the meal made and done. I don’t crock a lot, but I have a killer WW recipe for Osso Bucco that we all love.

I don’t have a book reader. I’m a life-long book lover, a librarian. I much prefer the act of turning the pages, but I can see how it would be the very think for your daughter when she’s overseas.

Will you share that recipe for Osso Bucco? You are a librarian that is so cool!

Katy and I both love to turn the pages of books, we love the feel of holding a book and how they smell!

6. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

I used the crockpot while nauseous and pregnant to keep the food smell down. So, it makes sense to have it to keep the kitchen cool. I’ve been looking for cold/cool recipes. This is a great idea!

Your crockpot meals sound great! I use mine all seasons!

I put your recipe through Import Assistant on MC. Didn’t know how many servings so the nutritional info is for the entire recipe….

JAJICK CHEESE SPREAD

16 ounces cottage cheese, lowfat
    8 ounces light cream cheese — softened at room temperature
    1 bunch green onions — finely chopped
    1/2 cup fresh Italian Parsley — chopped
    1/2 cup fresh basil — chopped
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the cottage cheese and cream cheese in the work bowl of a food processor and blend until creamy and smooth.

Entire Recipe: 881 Calories; 45g Fat (46.6% calories from fat); 82g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 147mg Cholesterol; 4206mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 11 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 6 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Thank you Carol that is so awesome. I have never measured how much it makes but I think at least 3 cups worth!

8. Carla says:

That’s funny – I also feel the same way about Mondays! It’s like a fresh start every week.

Thank you for your comment on my blog about guilt. Seeing that you have a similar situation to mine makes me feel that I’m not alone with these kinds of issues!

I have just downloaded an ebook reader called Kobo for my iPhone from Chapters (which is the major book store here in Canada). I have not started to use it yet though because I have so many regular books to read first! I have tested it and it seems really great! There are a lot of features and settings so you can read the ebooks just the way you like.

I don’t have an I phone but hubby does and I told him about the app you found.

I think we do have quite a few things in common!

9. tj says:

I gotta go back to look at your crock pot recipes, but it is a great way to keep the temps down in the kitchen! :) I love using mine- but my picky BF hates meat cooked in it so I tend to cook vegetarian dishes. I love making pulled BBQ pork in it- great for BBQ’s in the summer and super easy! (plus it is a WW recipe!!) :)

That dip sounds delicious and refreshing! :)

Software- not really- Calorie Count.com is one I have used before but did not seem right. ???

I am nookless & kindleless but my iPad is pretty cool to read books on! :)

Will you share your BBQ pork recipe?

10. fittingbackin says:

that spread looks SO good!

I do use a slowcooker, yearround! I haven’t done two at a time yet but i’m sure that’s coming up! I use Spark People to add my recipes/nutritionals!

No nook or kindle for me – love the old school page turning!

Yum! I’ve bookmarked this recipe! Thank you!

I’m using my slow-cooker today, too! Barbecued chicken this time. I don’t usually use any software. If I want to calculate calories in a dish, I enter it in sparkpeople’s recipe site. :)

12. Bringing Pretty Back says:

I am madly in love with my crock pot! In the summer months I take the crockpot outside and put it on the deck because it puts off alot of heat. I don’t have a kindle , one of my friends hasne and can’t live with put it.
    Have a pretty day,
    Kristin

13. Brightside-Susan says:

I am going to start using the crock pot more. And your recipes are really expanding my repertoire! I have been in such a rut.

You said you are in Northern CA, mind if I ask where? I am in Pleasanton. My sisters are in Walnut Creek and have wonderful trails like the one you walk on.

14. Deb Willbefree says:

H, Tami. There’s an award for you on my blog. Title: Beautiful Blogger Award

15. Erica @ Fashion meets Food says:

Wow that looks absolutely fabulous! Too bad I cant stand cottage cheese or I would be all about it!

xo