Weighing In and Finding My Happy Weight

It looks like I am going to be posting about three times a week other day this summer. I like not having the pressure to get a new post up every day. Of course that was self imposed pressure. I had to give myself permission to post less frequently. My days right now are filled with trying to help Katy get ready for her study abroad program and our vacation at the end of the month. I had no idea how much paper work and red tape is involved when you are going to be living in another country, let alone all the things she needs to get before she leaves. It is very exciting!

The other day Katy and I went shopping  and while we were out the discussion went to what my weight loss goal is right now. Katy expressed that she thinks I look great right where I am. She does not want to see me lose more weight and struggle to maintain it and not be able to enjoy eating a decent amount of food. (I do love to cook and I love to eat!) I don’t disagree, I am happy with how I look right now but, I do still have extra fat on my thighs. Yes it really is there. I played show and tell and got another opinion just to make sure I am dealing with reality. It is definitely reality!

I told Katy that if I lose 5-6 more pounds that takes 20-24 pounds of pressure off my knees and that is significant! I want to lose those pounds and maintain between 130-135. You have to have a range of weight for maintenance to account for the daily fluctuation that naturally occurs. Of course at my height a 5 pound gain means I won’t fit into my clothes so I don’t intend to let it get that far!

I also talked to hubby Tom about what my goal weight should be. He thinks with my activity level and the healthy approach I have about eating that 130 is very reasonable. He pointed out that since I am no longer so rigid with my food intake it has made life much easier for the rest of the family. I am more agreeable to eating out at healthy restaurants, going to friends houses to eat and so on. In the past I have had all or nothing thinking in regards to my food plan and it made it stressful on everyone.

I decided today to do a little internet research to make sure I am being realistic about my goal weight. I am  5’4″ tall (okay I might be shrinking at my age, but this is how tall I was the last time I measured) and the weight range for my age and height is 111-146 give or take a pound depending on what chart you look at. Of course these numbers do not take into account muscle mass verses fat or your body frame.

A healthy BMI (body mass index) is 19-25. I am currently at 23.3 so still a little more at the high end of the range but a score under 25 is good. You can figure your BMI at Self.com by clicking here.

Check out the happy weight calculator at Self by clicking here. I love that they call it your happy weight. It says this on their web site , stop aiming for an unrealistic goal and use this formula to get a healthy number that’s easy for you to maintain without obsessing.

You measure your wrist to find out what size of body frame you have. Mine was small, I always thought I was medium frame, who knew? This calculator takes into account your body frame and asks you a few other questions.  My happy weight is 129.6 so I think I am right on target with a goal of 130.

I found yet another on line calculator at Calories Count.com that calculates how many calories you need to lose weight or to maintain your weight. Check it out by clicking here. When I get to 130 pounds I can have around 2100 calories a day to maintain. That is a very generous amount of calories per day. That is not starving, it allows for lots of real healthy, nutritious food.

I got on the scale yesterday and I was down 1.2 pounds from last week! YIPEE! I weighed 135.8. I just have 5.8 more pounds to lose  to get to my happy weight. Then I will start maintenance. My body will be happy, my knees will be pleased and I will be ready for the next phase of this journey.

I read one time that losing weight is like boot camp before the battle of maintenance. In boot camp you learn all the skills you will need to rely on during maintenance. I feel like I have a great deal of new knowledge that is going to serve me well during maintenance. I will be posting more about that on my Fitness Friday post!

What are you learning during your weight loss boot camp?

Have you found your happy weight?

Feeling fantastic about boot camp and my happy weight.

1. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

I love it! This is VERY informative. Thanks for sharing all the different sites. I’ve done the BMI before, but the other two are new. I appreciate this. Thanks

2. Lesia Davis says:

You have given me ALOT to think about Thank You!

3. tj says:

congrats on the loss this week! I gotta go back to check out those links you provided for HEALTHY Weight. :) I have not seen a real loss in months and I don’t mind where I am, but it is not where I want to be. :)

4. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

Thank you for that info, Tami! I just tried both sites according to my last weigh-in which was months ago. I haven’t really been on the scale. I’m not sure if it’s denial or if I just want to concentrate on getting my mind right with respect to how I relate to food. In any event, it was interesting (and semi-disheartening) to see where I should be!

5. tj says:

ok I just did the healthy weight test- I don’t think I could be 134 pounds! lol Oh I see Marisa just did it too! Yeah I will stick to the WW range for myself and go with the higher end of the chart. lol

6. LAF says:

Sounds like you have gained some great insights about where you want to be and what is best for your body. Great job!
    Thanks for the links as well.

I think most of us instinctively know what our happy weight is. The problem is that often the weight we want is the weight we had in high school or college or whatever. Congrats on the loss. Does your scale blink that number? I just bought a new Tanita and whoo boy is it a challenge to get the photo due to the blinking!

8. Tish says:

I love the boot camp analogy. Right now I’m learning about the importance of lots of water all day long, normal sized portions, and doing lots of PT (running, biking, weight lifting) every day. Congrats on coming so near to your happy weight! You’re an inspiration!

9. karen@fitnessjourney says:

Less than 6 pounds to go, you’ll have that off before Labor day!

BTW, I think you’ll enjoy cutting back on blogging. I know I have. It gives you more time to get things done and to put more thought into your posts. Quality is always better than quantity-with food and blogging! Congrats on your success Tami!

Very interesting post.

First I have to say I went to that self site and sooo don’t agree with the happy weight. I think I need to be close to 10 pounds lighter. And that is two sizes for this petite woman. The calorie counter seemed pretty much what I had thought. O totally agree with you about having a range for a goal. I think mine is three pounds but I would be very pleased to be lower:) I want to pick a weight that I can comfortably maintain.

Speaking of which, I am slowly learning stuff, but for me, somehow, dieting has been easier than maintaining. (Not EASY, just easier.)

For blogging, I am also planning to cut back some, on posts and all the replies I make to comments. More about that coming on my blog later this week.

11. Carla says:

Hi Tami!

My original goal was 125 lbs because I was around 118-125 when I met my husband at around 22 years old. It just dawned on me that was almost 20 years ago!!!!!!!! Now that I am flirting with 135 lbs, I think losing ten more pounds would be too much for my 5’5″ frame. So I’m going to aim for around 130 also.

Good job on the loss this week!

12. Genie@dietof51 says:

That’s great, Tami! I once weighed 133… for like six hours….

But, long enough to know that it’s a happy weight! You have done so well and I applaud you.

Good for you for really thinking it over, and not just grabbing some number that sounds really good. (I know someone who’s doing that, and it’s not going so well for her.)

I found my happy weight! A trainer person suggested I lose 15 more pounds, but my friends were already suggesting I’d gone far enough and I felt good where I was (am), so I stopped losing. I actually don’t find it *too* hard to stay here. I just have to be mindful of too many splurges. :)

14. Kerri says:

I am 5 lbs away from my healthy weight…but would really like to lose 15 more pounds. It’s so hard…but I haven’t been very strict lately. It should be easier with the farm stands this summer with all the fresh produce. I just need to set some specific daily goals. Congrats on your healthy lifestyle!

15. Bringing Pretty Back says:

I am at my UN happy weight! need to get serious about my happy weight! GREAT post!
    Kristin

16. Erica @ Fashion meets Food says:

Loved this post and congrats on finding your happy weigh! You are doing fabulous with your weightloss!!! My happy weight is 16 pounds away I hope that I can get there before my August wedding, now I am kind of panicing about it! :/

xo

17. Brightside-Susan says:

I agree with my happy weight although I am not sure I will achieve it. I will personally be happy if I get to about 25 pounds above it. But you never know – once I make the lifestyle changes really stick there may be some point down the road when that happy weight will come into sight.

18. Melinda says:

What an inspiring post- I am not at my happy weight yet. I had been for all of my life then gained 20 lbs. so I’m working on losing that now. Your blog is inspiring!