Green Beans With Crispy Prosciutto

I have not been posting on the weekends lately but I have so many recipes and posts to share I decided to post before my morning walk. Blog traffic is way down on weekends over the summer! Comments overall seem to be less as well. I know I have less time right now for blogging and commenting. There are just too many fun things to be done outside why stay inside on the computer right? Well hopefully someone will take a break from the great outdoors and check out this recipe. If you have followed my blog you know that I love green beans, I know it isn’t the most exciting vegetable to have as a favorite but there are so many different ways to cook green beans and make them special.

Fresh green beans are in abundance at the Farmer’s Market right now. Since I am a huge fan of fresh green beans I have found some delightful recipes that even my non green bean loving family enjoys! I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light that originally called for Brussels Sprouts, it was so good and I knew it would be delicious with green beans as well. It did not disappoint. Don’t over cook the green beans you want them to retain some firmness. The combination of crispy salty prosciutto with just a hint of butter and lemon juice takes green beans from boring to spectacular!

Prosciutto is the Italian word for ham. To make prosciutto, ham is salted and then air dried for a period of up to two years. After curing, prosciutto is sliced into paper thin pieces. It is typically eaten uncooked,wrapped around fruit and vegetables, or in salads. In some cases, prosciutto may be lightly cooked. Look for it in the specialty meat case usually near your full service deli. It is expensive but a little goes a long way. If you can’t find prosciutto you can substitute bacon. Check out my post about uncured bacon.

Green Beans with Crisp Prosciutto

• 1 1/2 pounds trimmed green beans
  • 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto (about 1 1/2 ounces)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Cook green beans sprouts in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add prosciutto. Cook 6 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; set aside.

Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add green beans; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add butter, salt, and pepper, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; drizzle with juice. Add prosciutto; toss to combine.

Per Serving: 63 Calories; 3g Fat (34.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 394mg Sodium.

Old WWP 1 / New WWPP 2

Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe for Brussels sprouts

Eating fresh foods from the Farmer’s Market and enjoying the long summer days!

What is your favorite vegetable?

1. tj says:

mmm that sounds delicious! When I get fresh green beans I usually steam them with a couple of whole garlic cloves lightly crushed (so I can take them out after steaming but still get the flavor) YUM! :)

Have a great weekend!

Oh yes garlic and green beans are a perfect pairing!

Love green beans but also like other veggies too! Not even sure what my fav is but I do love white cron on the cob but corn is not nice to my tummy! ;-)

Went back & checked out your older posts & you are such a cook! I am lazy about cooking.. not my thing. I don’t even have half of what you use in my house! :-) I know!

I love corn on th cob too Jodi! Hey, cooking is not for everyone. I have learned to use easy recipes, high quality ingredients and to only tackle one difficult recipe per meal.

Easy, fast and fresh are key words for cooking at my house in the summer!

3. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

That is a winner! I love green beans and proscuitto – my Mom makes something similar – so delicious!

My all-time favorite veg has to be spinach!

I’m probably just the opposite with MORE time inside right now than at any other time of year. It is just so miserably hot in the south. My time to blog and read will lessen considerably as soon as the weather breaks.

The green beans look delicious. Our market this morning was simply overflowing with everything. It was almost overwhelming.

I love every veggie EXCEPT green peas – my favorite is asparagus. Sauteed in butter with lemon juice. Yummy!

5. Genie@dietof51 says:

Those look awesome, Tami! I like fresh green beans a lot, too, especially at the still-crunchy stage. And prosciutto is delicious.

As always, thanks for sharing! Have a good rest of the weekend!

Green beans just happen to be one of my favorite veggies! And I have an over abundance of them in the garden. In fact, this morning I am going to can pickled beans{carrots as well}. I do have some prosciutto so I am going to make your recipe…it looks soooo good!I think the only thing I’ve ever bought at a Farmer’s market is fruit & it was more expensive than a fruit stand. Wish I could share some of my tomatoes with you…I’m going to have way more than I know what to do with!!

7. karen@fitnessjourney says:

That would be a real hit at my house. My son only eats a few vegetables and will only eat green beans if they are cooked with bacon. I’ll be trying this one.

8. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

That looks delicious! I don’t always post on the weekends either – it depends on how things are going.

9. Tish says:

Yum! This one looks like a keeper. Thanks, Tami.