Cornmeal Muffin Recipe & Invisalign Update

It was cool here this weekend and with that came a desire for chili. What goes better with chili than cornmeal muffins? I decided to take my favorite cornbread recipe and adapt it to muffins. It worked beautifully! This recipes uses a can of creamed corn and that makes the muffins nice and moist with little bits of corn through out. They don’t need any butter but if you wish, use just a dab of butter on a hot muffin, eat it slowly and savor every crumb.

I found this plate at the Harry and David store in Oregon, I love the dragon fly!

Oh, I can’t forget the cute little lady bug!

Corn Meal Muffins

• 1 cup uncooked cornmeal, yellow
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp table salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 14 3/4 oz cream-style corn, canned
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk *
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 tsp corn oil

Preheat oven to 400ºF.  Place foil cupcake liners in a muffin pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray.I like foil cupcake liners the best because they are sturdy and they don’t stick to the muffin unlike paper liners.
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork, then make a well in the center; set aside.
Combine creamed corn, buttermilk, egg whites and oil in a medium bowl; mix until blended. Fold mixture into dry ingredients; mix until blended. Pour batter into prepared muffin pan and smooth the top.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, about 15 – 17  minutes. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for  5 – 10 minutes.

* I keep Saco  Cultured buttermilk blend for baking in my refrigerator for recipes like this. It can be found in the baking aisle at the grocery store.

*Or you can substitute  1/2 cup skim milk mixed with 1/2 tablespoon vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes, stir and continue with recipe.

If you want, add some chopped green chiles, a teaspoon or so of diced jalapeño pepper for a little kick!

Yield: 12 muffins  Serving Size: 1 muffin

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 111 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 401mg Sodium.

Old WWP 2 /   WWPP 3

Adapted from a Weight Watchers Recipe

You just mix the dry powder in with the other dry ingredients in your recipe and then add water in place of the buttermilk. It works perfectly and you don’t have to worry about what to do with a whole quart of buttermilk. It’s brilliant!

This week is going by fast already, it has been a busy one so far for us. Son David started back to College yesterday. I was busy making him sandwiches to carry with him. He works the 5:00AM – 9:00AM shift as a UPS package loader prior to attending classes during the day. One great thing about it is that it requires him to go to bed at about 8:30 on work nights! Not that we have anything to worry about it, he is an awesome young man who works hard both at work and college. His job is very physical and he comes home famished ready for a lunch type meal at 9:15 in the morning. I have been making him Subway style sandwiches and his friends didn’t believe him that his mom makes them, they said home made sandwiches don’t look like this! At our house they do! I made several sandwiches ahead for Hubby Tom and Son David to grab and go!

I made turkey and roast beef sandwiches for the hungry guys!

INVISALIGN UPDATE

I was at the dentist this morning to have my Invisalign, teeth straightening appointment. My top teeth have graduated to a retainer! It is just like the aligners, clear plastic and initially I have to wear it 24/7 for 3 months. Then I graduate to evenings only for 6 months and after that every other night! For the lower teeth I have about 3 more months of wearing aligners for straightening before I get a lower retainer. The time has flown by and I have been surprised at how quickly my teeth have moved. It is very exciting to have straighter teeth. My dentist and I had another smile photo shoot today and he promised to email the photos  to me.

I will be eating soft foods this evening. The first day with new aligners makes the teeth very sore. It brings back memories of when my kids wore braces and I would have to figure out soft meals for them when they would have an orthodontist appointment for an adjustment. They usually got some ice cream as part of the deal! I will have to see what I have in the freezer in the way of a cold treat for me!

DID YOU WEAR BRACES AS A KID?

4 pings

1. Tish says:

mmm, those muffins look great. DH got some orthodontics done when he turned 50. He wore braces for just over a year to close a space between his teeth. He wears retainers to bed every night. He’s great about the retainers and his teeth look fabulous.

Yes, wearing the retainer for every is the key! Good for your hubby for being so good about it. I hope to follow his example.

The muffins and sandwiches look delicious!!! Lucky David!
    I was looking at soup recipes today & I want to try an Italian Meatball Soup & also your grandmother’s soup recipe.

So glad the invisalign has done such a great job. Our son Scott wore braces when he was 13. I don’t think braces were invented when I needed them….maybe in the big cities but sure not in our little town!

Grandma’s veggie soup is one of our favorites Carol. Hope you try it!

Yum, corn muffins! I love corn but the tummy does not.. :-(

Hope the mouth feels better soon! No braces here but now I have more teeth probs than I can handle.. UGH!

Sorry you can’t have corn! I love it! I hate going to the dentist and I always seem to have something wrong with this tooth or that one. I didn’t luck out in that department but at least we have good dental care in this country.

I wore braces for several years. I always dreaded the adjustments!

Thanks for mentioning the buttermilk blend. I’ve seen it in the baking aisle, but I didn’t know if it was a good substitute. Now I do. :)

Cammy I have used the buttermilk blend for years for baking and cooking and I love it! No more wasted buttermilk in my house.

5. Janine says:

The sandwiches look professional–I can imagine he’s starved after all that hard work.
    Great news on your teeth reacting so quickly–you’re going to have one gorgeous smile to be proud of.

I am looking forward to a new smile Janine.

I wore braces for several years, and I always dreaded the adjustments! Ouch!

Thanks for the info on the buttermilk product. I’d seen it in the baking aisle, but didn’t know if it worked. Now I do. :)

7. Karen says:

I love cornbread with chili! With honey on top:)

My kids like a little honey on top too!

8. Genie@dietof51 says:

Tami, the muffins look marvelous. That buttermilk product is a great tip! I’ll have to look for that.

Must have missed that you were doing the invisible braces. Yay you!

I didn’t have them, but Sonny was a borderline case, so we bucked up and he has a stunning smile. He had the traditional ones though, and his teeth moved fast, too. He’s been very good about wearing his retainer, which his orthodontist said will be needed for the rest of his life.

I say, “worth it!”

Our daughter has been very good about wearing her retainer and the orthodontist said he wished everyone would listen to what he says about it like she did!

9. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

I’m bookmarking these muffins, Tami! They look great and I like that they have no added sugar!

OUCH to braces. Boy do I remember that sore teeth feeling! I’m glad you’re happy with the progress. Wish they had the Invisaligns when I had braces!

No added sugar Marisa but there is some sugar in the creamed corn! I love these. I am going to freeze the leftovers for future use.

10. fittingbackin says:

Those muffins are SO cute, but not as cute as the ladybug on the plate – heart!

11. karen@fitnessjourney says:

I wore braces as an adult for 2 years and have never been sorry that I did. I really like my smile now and used to hide it before the braces. You have a really pretty smile Tami!

Thank you!

12. sunshine mama says:

I’ve never seen a cornbread recipe with creamed corn before. Thanks also for the buttermilk tip for buying it at the store.

I also like your plate too. I love getting cute plates to photograph food on.

The creamed corn makes it moist with out adding a lot of fat.

I love dishes too!

13. The Candid RD says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    These corn muffins looks so delicious. I haven’t made muffins in so long. Too long really!

I did wear braces as a kid, but not for long. I’m so glad I did though, because my teeth were a mess! I’m so thankful to my parents for paying for them. Can’t wait to have to do that for my kids……

Thanks for visiting my blog as well! I don’t bake very much any more but once in a while it fits into my eating plan.

We paid for braces for our kids as well and I am so glad we did. What a difference it makes.

1. Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup | says:

[...] this soup that I had frozen a few weeks back. You can find the recipe for these delicious muffins HERE. Gently reheat in the microwave oven and they are like fresh [...]

2. Chipotle Chicken Stew and Hot 100 Challenge Update Week 7 | says:

[...] easy, moist Cornmeal muffin recipe was the perfect side dish. You could definitely make this stew a day ahead, hold it over [...]

3. Multi Bean Soup with Turkey Kielbasa | says:

[...] but still has a nice smokey flavor that compliments the beans. Serve it with a green salad and some cornmeal muffins, cornmeal scones, cheddar chive biscuits or a crusty [...]

4. Black Bean Soup Weight Watchers PointsPlus 8 | says:

[...] to choose from. Just click on the blue highlighted word to be taken to the recipe. Cornmeal scones, cornmeal muffins, or cheddar cornmeal biscuits with [...]