Fire Up The BBQ For The Best Corn On The Cob & Zucchini

Happy August! I have a new amazing recipe for corn on the cob and zucchini on the BBQ as well as my favorite cranberry chutney recipe to share today. I can’t believe our daughter Katy leaves just 3 weeks from today to study in Spain for 10 months. We still have some things to purchase, and loose ends to to tie up and now the count down is on!

We are wondering if we should order her a hair dryer and straightening iron in the higher voltage from Amazon to take or should she wait and purchase those items when she gets there. I have not had good luck with the adapters in the past when I have traveled in Europe, let’s just say that sparks were flying! We have our list of things to do and will be concentrating on getting everything taken care of sooner rather than later.

Saturday we decided to fire up the BBQ. Well, actually, we were going to turn on the gas grill but the gas tank was empty, so hubby Tom got out the old reliable charcoal and the Weber and lit the flame! Katy’s friend Esau came for dinner and when he saw the corn on the cob he inquired how we were going to prepare it and then he offered to show us how it is prepared in Honduras where he is from. It sounded simple enough and I had the ingredients on hand so I gave him the task of shucking the corn while I prepped the zucchini for the grill.

OH MY GOODNESS THIS WAS THE BEST TASTING SWEET CORN WE HAVE EVER TASTED! I will never want it prepared any other way. If you like sweet corn you have to try this simple recipe.

Place the corn on the grill. Turn it frequently until it is lightly brown all over, 15-17 minutes. I told you it was easy!

While the corn is cooking, juice some fresh limes. We used 4 small limes for 5 ears of corn. Give each cooked ear of corn a bath in the fresh lime juice. Roll it around in the lime juice to coat every kernel of corn.

Season with a little salt and enjoy every sweet, juicy bite of corn!

Esau’s Grilled Corn with Lime and Salt

• Fresh corn on the cob, shucked and rinsed
  • Fresh limes, juiced, about one for every ear of corn
  • Salt

Place corn on the cob on the hot grill, turn every few minutes until lightly browned all around, 15-20 minutes. Place fresh lime juice in a shallow dish, roll each ear of corn in the lime juice, sprinkle with salt and serve.

Serving Size: 1 ear of corn and juice of 1 lime

Nutritional Information (not including additional salt)

Per Serving: 98 Calories; 1g Fat (8.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 15mg Sodium.

We made good use of our coals to also cook pork chops, Italian turkey sausages and fresh zucchini.

I sliced each zucchini the long way into thirds or fourths depending on how thick it was. Each 1/4 inch slice of zucchini was them brushed with Annie’s Natural Tuscany Italian salad dressing. This dressing might be in the Health Food section of your grocery store if you don’t find it placed with the regular dressings.

Place zucchini on the hot grill and watch it closely, turning until lightly browned on both sides. The flavor was amazing for such little effort. This dressing is also good on baby greens and pasta salads.

Moist, slightly charred with Italian flavors coming through. YUM!

When Katy found out Saturday that we were having pork chops on the BBQ she asked me to make my cranberry chutney to serve with them. I have a recipe for a peach chutney that I wanted to try and since peaches are in season I asked her if that would work and she reluctantly agreed. We had eaten all of our Farmer’s Market peaches so off the store I went.Well do you think I could find a ripe peach at the grocery store? NO! When I got home I dug through the freezer and found a bag of cranberries. I buy a couple extra bags of cranberries in the Fall and freeze them for use during the year. Much to Katy’s delight the cranberry chutney was the perfect accompaniment to the pork chops.

It is a simple recipe combining cranberries, apple, brown sugar, vinegar and spices. The cranberries contain a natural pectin that thickens the chutney as it cools. I made a half recipe but I went ahead and used the entire apple so it wouldn’t go to waste, I had dried cherries on hand so I used those in place of raisins and it turned out incredible!

Cranberry chutney goes well with pork and chicken entrees. Serve it with cheese, crackers and apple slices as an appetizer. Use as a spread for making a sandwich with turkey or chicken or top a turkey burger with chutney to make it extra special. A spoonful stirred into some Greek yogurt makes a lovely dessert.

CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

Cranberries are so full of natural pectin that they are ideal for conserves, and this sweet, tart spread is wonderful. It can be canned or frozen or kept in the refrigerator for weeks.

• 1 pound (4 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 small tart apple, peeled cored and diced
  • 3/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup currants, raisins or dried cherries
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds (I use 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard)
  • 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dried pepper flakes if desired.

Place all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly, about 25 minutes. The cranberries will pop as they cook.

Allow to cool then ladle into jars. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 months. May be frozen up to one year.

Yield: 2 pints or 64 Tablespoons

Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons

32 Servings @ 2 Tablespoons Per Serving: 69 Calories; trace Fat (1.0% calories from fat); trace Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 39mg Sodium.

Old WWP 1 / New WWPP 2

Recipe adapted from Farmhouse Cookbook

Updated 3/26/11

I bought peaches and plan on trying a peach chutney recipe, so watch for that review and recipe later this week.

I do pretty much all of the cooking at my house. However, when it comes to the BBQ hubby Tom takes over! I am happy to let him too as he does an amazing job with either the charcoal Weber or the gas grill.

Who does the cooking on the BBQ at your house?

1. Leslie says:

Every bit of that food looks amazing! The chutney would be wonderful with pork, or chicken, or ice cream! These are all keepers, Tami.

Last year one of our sons spent 6 months in Argentina. It was quite an adjustment having his that far. Spain is farther, but at least she’ll be exposed to good Castillian Spanish! I hope you all are planning to visit her while she’s there – too good an opportunity to pass up!

My dad taught my husband to grill corn in the husks. It stays moist that way. Of course then you have the hassle of husking it while hot and you could not baste it in lime. But it is a great technique. He does all our grilling; I have no idea how to even turn it on!

3. Tish says:

I’ve already copied the cranberry chutney recipe. I grab a few extra bags of cranberries, too. I used to make my awesome (definitely not OP) cranberry bars frequently. This will be a nice alternate recipe. I might try it next time I make my roasted pork tenderloin. Who’s our #1 griller–why MOI. I do get DH to light my fire though (LOL).

4. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

I love grilled zucchini and corn! My niece serves her grilled corn with lime and salt – her husband is Mexican and that is often how they eat it. They sure know what they are doing! It’s great!!

5. Corletta Brown says:

Thank you for your sweet comment!!! Vacation, as you guessed, was GREAT!!! By the way, your posts totally makes me hungry!! I do believe that the hubby and I will be grilling out tonight! Thanks for the idea :)

6. Amanda says:

Corn on the grill is my new favorite obsession! Yum! Must try with lime juice.

I’m not a HUGE fan of zucchini but I’m trying it more and getting more into liking it. I’m going to try it on the grill next.

I do the grilling b/c I’m the only one that lives in the house :) I’m new to it!

7. tj says:

I grew up with my Mom boiling the corn- then Sean introduced me to grilling it (the same way you did) however they would dip the corn into a BIG bowl of saltwater and add pepper to it. I liked it grilled but sometimes I still make it like my Mom does. lol :)

That chutney looks delicious! YUM!

Oh and I am the BBQ master in my family. lol I let Sean do the corn- bit I control the meat or else it would be either RAW or BURNT. lol :)

How ironic that we are having grilled zucchini tonight. It was all sliced and ready to go when I read your post. I have always sliced it into rounds rather than long ways and brushed with a bit of olive oil. So delicious! Can’t wait to try the corn – I happen to know I have some fresh corn waiting at my MIL’s house!! Now wish I’d gone to get it today!

HINT: Any leftover grilled zucchini is yummy as part of a veggie sandwich.

9. Genie@dietof51 says:

That corn and the chutney look so good! Send some right over!

I grilled steaks tonight for my husband and son, only because they were going to a ballgame and needed to leave shortly after my husband got home from work. It was the first time that I used our gas grill. The steaks turned out great, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be doing it again anytime soon. That’s one thing that my husband can do!

10. karen@fitnessjourney says:

One of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten was roasted corn at a huge barbecue at my mother’s cousins home when I was a little girl. I’ve tried it at home and it was never quite as good.

How exciting for your daughter to be studying abroad. What a great experience. Best of luck to her-and to you too, I’m sure you’ll miss her like crazy.

I gave my sister and brother-in-law my grill (have they invited me over? No.), but I do use a George Foreman every now and then.

Can’t wait to try that cranberry chutney!

Love, love grilled corn and even more with lime juice on it! Weight Watchers has a recipe for corn & lime juice & then sprinkled with chili pepper….I leave the pepper off!
    I’m not a fan at all of zucchini but I know my sister loves it. And, I happen to have frozen cranberries so I’ll be trying your chutney!

BTW…I made your Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte and my family gave it a thumbs up!!! It is very good. I posted a picture of mine on my board.
    Thanks again for all the great recipes Tami!!

I know you are going to miss Katy when she leaves for Spain! What an experience this is going to be for her!

13. Erica @ Fashion meets Food says:

wow everything looks absolutely amazing!

xo

14. Food Addict says:

My husband will love this!!!!

15. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

I don’t know why I never tried corn on the BBQ!!! Looks so yummy.. I will try it this weekend…

16. sunshine mama says:

That corn on the cob looks great! My husband loves corn on the cob. Thanks for the recipe idea!

17. Brightside Susan says:

I am the griller at our house, in fact my nice gas grill was a Mother’s Day gift a few years ago!

Love to grill corn and Zucs – all veggies, in fact! Doing asparagus tonight!

I’ll be over soon!!!!!!!!!! YUM! :-) My tummy can’t do corn & I so love it!!!!!!!

19. Brittany says:

What a great idea! I’ll definitely have to try that before summer’s over!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

20. marsial2010 says:

We both grill — my husband thinks it’s a guy toy, so if I want to grill, I have to get the fire going before he gets home. We use a Weber self-starting charcoal grill — love it. Tonight we are grilling lamb and, if I can get some corn, I will try your method of grilling it. Your photos are so enticing! Also, thanks for visiting me on my blog.

21. Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman says:

That corn looks so good! I love the lime juice idea. And this post is just another reason I had a yard that could fit a grill.