Going green and crunchy with Kale Chips!

Life is very full right now as I try to help daughter Katy get ready to leave for Spain in less than two weeks! How does one pack to live for 10 months in another country? I will let you know once we figure it out! We are experiencing a whole host of emotions, excitement, anticipation and fear just to mention a few! I always believe that things work out for the best. The most we can do is send her off well prepared, pray that all goes well, that God will guide her and keep her safe and that she has the experience of a life time. Of course we desire that she comes home fluent in Spanish as well!

With my busy schedule right now I don’t have much time for posting here or reading other blogs and leaving comments. In a couple of weeks that will change and I will get back to being a better blogger!

If you have been in the blog sphere for very long you have seen Kale chips. I first had these about two years ago when some friends and hubby Tom and I were trying the South Beach diet. Yes we did all lose weight but we also gained it back when we returned to our old eating patterns! Our friend made kale chips for us for a gathering at her house and even the non South Beach folks devoured these tasty chips.

We had some extra kale in the refrigerator so Katy decided to make kale chips and I snapped a few photos since I have yet to blog about them. I have to admit that they don’t look that appealing so you have to get past their appearance and go for a taste. You know the saying, don’t judge a book by it’s cover! Kale chips are crispy and salty making them perfect paired with a sandwich or as a crunchy snack for movie watching and they contain many health benefits.

Kale is a leafy green vegetable that belongs to the Brassica family, a group of vegetables including cabbage, collards and Brussels sprouts that have gained recent widespread attention due to their health promoting, sulfur-containing phytonutrients.

To get the most benefit from your cruciferous vegetables like kale, be sure to choose organically grown varieties, their phytonutrient levels are higher than conventionally grown. Organic is usually only about 25 cents more per bunch than conventionally grown kale.

Kale is an excellent source of vitamin A on account of its concentrated beta-carotene content. Once inside the body, beta-carotene can be converted into vitamin A, so when you eat kale, it’s like getting both these beneficial nutrients at once. One cup of kale contains just 36.4 calories, but provides 192.4% of the daily value for vitamin A.

Kale is also an excellent source of vitamin C-just one cup of this cooked vegetable supplies 88.8% of the daily value for vitamin C.

Kale’s health benefits continue with its fiber; a cup of kale provides 10.4% of the daily value for fiber, which has been shown to reduce high cholesterol levels thus helping to prevent atherosclerosis. Fiber can also help out by keeping blood sugar levels under control.

Kale is also a very good source of calcium. A cup of kale supplies 93.6 mg of calcium (9.4% of the daily value for this mineral) for only 36.4 calories. In contrast, a cup of 2% cow’s milk provides 296.7 mg of calcium, but the cost is high: 121.2 calories and 14.6% of the day’s suggested limit on saturated fat.

How To Store

Kale should be wrapped in a damp paper towel, placed in a plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator crisper. It should not be washed before storing since this may cause it to become limp. Kale can be kept in the refrigerator for several days, although it is best when eaten within one or two days after purchase since the longer it is stored, the more bitter its flavor becomes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rinse the kale with cool water. Remove it from the stems and tear into chip size pieces. Run the kale through a lettuce spinner to get rid of the excess water or lay it out on a towel to dry.

For easy clean up line baking sheets with foil sprayed with non stick spray. Lay out kale in a single layer and spray with Olive oil spray, sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. You can get creative here and also use, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper and a little fresh Parmesan cheese if you desire. I have seen many variations but I have only used the salt so far.

Ready to go in the oven.                                                                       All shrunk down crispy and ready to munch on.

Going green and crunchy with Kale Chips.

Kale Chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Rinse the kale in cool water.

Tear leaves off the stems into chip size pieces. Discard stems.

Place torn kale in a salad spinner to get rid of the excess water or lay out on a kitchen towel and let it dry completely.

For easy clean up line baking sheets with foil, sprayed with non stick spray. Lay out kale in a single layer and spray with Olive oil spray, sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. You can get creative here and also use, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper and a little fresh Parmesan cheese if you desire.

Bake for 15 -25 minutes. Now the baking time really varies depending on how much moisture is in or on the kale. This batch had to bake for almost 25 minutes. Check it at 15 minutes and if not crispy keep in the oven checking every 4-5 minutes until it is the desired crispness.

Some people eat the kale chips dipped in ketchup or doused with hot sauce. I like them just the way they are. I have found that they stay crisp if allowed to sit on the counter uncovered, that is if they last that long!

Eating green and healthy!

Have you tried kale chips?

1 ping

I can eat an entire head of Kale this way!

Me Too!

2. Dawne says:

How exciting for your daughter! I bet you are envious of her adventure. I wasn’t a lover of the kale chips, but maybe will try again.

I am very excited for her! I would have loved to have been able to do something like this when I was her age!

3. tj says:

I have never tried Kale…but I want those chips! :) YUM! Thanks for the recipe!

Also wanted to thank you for your comments on my Weigh in Post. I too wonder what my leader is thinking about this- I have asked her several times for her help and I get nothing from her. She knows of my blog and I TRY not to bad mouth her- but I do hope that if she sees it she reads the comments! I have no idea what to do next. I weigh and measure all of my food, & I track religiously.

LOL About the Bolani & sauces. They are low and amazing too- I talked to the guy at the farmers market and told him how much I enjoy their products. I guess you can’t always trust the nutritional info on the package- but in this case I do hope so! lol

I have heard of the Wendy Plan but have not used it before. My main days that I use a lot of my weeklys are Sat & Sun and I guess Im not alone in that. lol

Again, thank you! I appreciate your support! :)

TK I might try a different WW meeting and see if another WW leader has any advice for you. It seems wrong that she does not try to help you figure out what is going on.

It sounds like you are doing everything right.

I had that post a while back that talked up the greatness of kale & many were unfamiliar with it. I think I will share this Friday on my recipe day post! THX!

I love Kale! It is a strange green veggie to most people.

Now those look good and I just might have to try them!!!I’d be the ketchup dipper!! LOL

Let me know if you give them a try Carol.

6. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Okay, I might have to try these again. I did once and I couldn’t get passed the feeling of eating crunchy raked leaves. LOL! Oddly, the husband (who is scared of anything remotely healthy) thought they were GREAT! Go figure…

That is funny that your hubby liked them and you didn’t!

7. Jae says:

I have got to try these. You’re the 3rd person this week to mention the awesomeness of kale chips! Thanks for the nudge :)

A lot of us must be eating green this week!

8. Tish says:

I made these after seeing a demo on the Today Show. DH and I ate the entire batch in record time. Good luck with getting Kate ready for her adventure in Spain. She and you all will have a wonderful time. I trust you’ll take a trip to visit her after she gets settled.

Oh, yes Tish, we are going next Spring to visit her. She will be very busy this fall getting settled and adjusting to school there.

I haven’t tried these yet, but I did get as far as printing the instructions. My next goal is to purchase some kale. :)

I am glad it is on your to do list Cammy!

10. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I’ve never tried these – but I think I might. I’ve never been a kale fan though!

I don’t think you have to like cooked kale to enjoy these chips. They are so different. Seasoning them with salt and pepper or a little cheese gives them more flavor.

11. Leslie says:

These look great! I’ve seen them around the blog community but haven’t tried. Maybe this weekend! I love cooked kale.

Do give them a try Leslie and then report back!

12. sunshine mama says:

Ok…you talked me into it. I’ll pick some up this weekend and try it.

You have such good ideas. We like lemon bars too. Perhaps that will be next!

13. Brightside Susan says:

I will have to buy some kale at the farmer’s market this week and make these. I have been missing crunch lately!

PS – I gave you an award on my blog today!

Not yet but it is on my mental list of things to try. I will bookmark this page and maybe that will remind me:)

1. Italian Sausage Bean Soup With Kale | says: