Hot Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (rinse with water if not pre-washed)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you may substitute your choice of milk, fat free, soy etc.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 apple, cored and diced (leave the peel on)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste, I like a lot of cinnamon)
- pinch of ground cardamon
- freshly ground nutmeg (a pinch or so, I don’t measure)
- Optional Toppings: brown sugar, nuts, coconut, nut butter, pumpkin butter, apple butter, honey, Agave, or maple syrup.
If your quinoa is not pre washed, place it in a fine mesh sieve and run cold water through it until the water runs clear.
In a medium size sauce pan combine the quinoa, almond milk,water, apple, cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg, bring it to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and tender. Remove from heat, divide into two serving dishes. Top with your favorite toppings such as brown sugar, nuts, coconut, nut butter, pumpkin butter, apple butter, honey or maple syrup.
Yield: 2 Servings
(Using unsweetened almond milk )
Per Serving: 234 Calories; 5g Fat (19.2% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium.
Old WWP 4 / New WWPP 6