Smothered Chicken in Gravy Slow Cooker / Figs / Amazing Dressing

I have been on a comfort food kick this week. The temperatures have dropped down in the 80′s for us and although that isn’t exactly cool it makes me think Fall is on the way! I feel ready for a change in seasons and thoughts of my favorite Fall foods are dancing in my head. Pumpkin, apples, cranberries, winter squash, soup and stews, oh yum!

I bought these incredible figs at Whole Foods the other day. They are black figs grown in California and they are to die for. So sweet they practically melt in your mouth. We have been eating them plain as a snack.

I decided to cut up three of the figs and toss them into our salad. The crowning touch was an amazing salad dressing called Liquid Gold Salad Dressing. I found the recipe on a blog called Thinspired and she got the recipe from a friend who is a Registered Dietitian.

It calls for very simple ingredients, orange champagne vinegar, olive oil, fig jam, garlic and Dijon mustard.

If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s to get the Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar at, don’t worry there are other brands available. Check out Amazon for one made by California Harvest, here is a link. Do a Google search and check your local specialty grocery stores. The Fig jam I used is made by Dalmatia and I found it at Cost Plus. If you can’t find Fig jam use Apricot instead. The star in this recipe is the vinegar! This is hands down the best salad dressing I have ever made!  Save some of your smaller jars that condiments come in. They come in handy for home made salad dressings. Shake vigorously or use a small wire whisk. Store in the refrigerator.

This salad dressing will make you want to eat more salads! Trust me, it’s true! Now go find the Orange Champagne Vinegar, fig jam and make this dressing! I cut up three fresh figs, two dates and half an apple for this salad of baby greens and some romaine. This was so simple yet flavorful, crunchy, slightly sweet and I couldn’t stop at just one bowl full!  Don’t forget to salt and pepper your salads, what a difference it makes!

Liquid Gold Salad Dressing

enough for 4-6 giant salads

• 5T orange champagne vinegar
  • 2T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1T fig jam
  • 1 tsp. crushed & chopped garlic
  • 1/4 tsp.-1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Place all ingredients in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Combine well, until the jam is thoroughly broken up, I had to use a small wire whisk as my Fig jam was cold and very thick!

Yield: 8 Tablespoons of dressing. Servings Size: 1 tablespoon

Per Serving: 38 Calories; 3g Fat (76.5% calories from fat); trace Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium.

Old WWP1 / New WWPP1

Adapted from Thinspired who got the recipe from a friend.

Updated 3/25/11

SMOTHERED CHICKEN IN GRAVY FOR THE SLOW COOKER

Wednesday I had a busy day of errands so I pulled out my slow cooker- crock pot recipes and decided to go with this smothered chicken in gravy recipe. It is super easy, contains your basic veggie staples and it taste like something your Grandmother would have simmering in her dutch oven on the back of the stove.

Creamy gravy, shredded chicken, little slices of carrot, green peas and onion, flavored with Herbs de Provence it is like a pot pie with out the crust! I served it over baked potatoes as I was out of time to make mashed, the guys also had biscuits with theirs and I cheated on that too and bought frozen ones that just needed to be heated up in the oven. Sigh! It was delicious and this meal reheats nicely too. Good things as we have a ton of leftovers. With Katy gone I need to rethink my cooking as we have so many leftovers now. I don’t think I will need to do much cooking over the weekend as the refrigerator is full right now. I made a huge meal last night and I shall post great recipes from that as well. So many recipes, photos and posts with so little time to do them all!

Smothered Chicken in Gravy /  Slow Cooker

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
  • 3 medium carrots — sliced or diced
  • 1/3 cup onion — chopped
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine (I used light)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence seasoning, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 package roasted chicken gravy mix ( I use McCormick’s Roasted Chicken Gravy mix, nice seasoning blend)
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk or 2 % milk
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  1. In a 4 to 6 quart crock pot, combine chicken, carrots, onion, chicken broth, butter, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence and bay leaf; mix well.
  2. Cover; cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
  3. About 20 minutes before serving, stir gravy mix into crock pot, remove the chicken breast and using two forks shred
  4. the meat and return to the crock pot. Remove and discard bay leaf.
  5. In a measuring cup, blend buttermilk or milk and flour until smooth. Stir flour mixture and peas into chicken as well as
  6. the reserved 1 teaspoon of Herbs de Provence; mix well.
  7. Cover, increase heat to high; cover and cook an additional 25-20 minutes or until peas are cooked. If the gravy is too thick add a little more milk or chicken broth.

Serve with rice or biscuits, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or noodles.

Yield:  4 very large servings or 6 smaller ones.

For 4 Servings: Per Serving: 243 Calories; 7g Fat (25.1% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber Old WWP  5  / New WWPP 6

For 6 Servings: Per Serving : 162 Calories; 4g Fat (25.1% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 388mg Sodium.
Old WWP 3 / NewWWPP 4

Recipe adapted from the Cooking Light Bulletin Board, posted by Kate 2004 and modified by Tami.

Enjoying a taste of home cooking and the healthy comforts from my kitchen.

I have two crock pot / slow cookers and I sometimes have them both going at once. They are such a time saver!

Do you use a slow cooker / crock pot?      If so what is your favorite recipe to make in one?

2 pings

1. Karen says:

I have never had a fresh fig. My husband eats dried ones all the time. Yep, I like using a crock pot too. I like getting things done early and the day and then the food is just waiting for me later. It may not be my favorite recipe, but I have been making “refried” beans in mine once a week for months; I reheat them for breakfast every day.

Refried beans for breakfast, we have Hispanic friends who eat them for brekkie!

2. Debby says:

Yum on both of these!!! Can’t wait to make them.

Come back and let me know what you think of the recipes!

Love my crock pot! I think my favorite thing I make in mine is the “deli” chicken. I’ve started adding in foil wrapped small potatoes and they are delicious.I strain the juices and make a great gravy….fat free of course!

I have 3 crock pots and it all depends on what I’m making as to what size I use.

I’ve only had figs in Fig Newtons but would love to try a fresh one.

The deli chicken is good Carol and I also do the potatoes in foil under the chicken. Delicious!

You have me beat, I only have two full size crock pots and one mini!

4. Tish says:

Thanks Tami–I always make my own salad dressing, but this looks like a keeper. I have a fig tree that seems to be in an ideal spot in our garden. It has produced a bumper crop this year. My variety is Brown Turkey, but I prefer the dark Mission-type figs–a friend just gave me two small cuttings from her Mission fig, so maybe in a few years I’ll have those too. You might enjoy trying grilled figs for a dessert sweet. My favorite crockpot recipe is Osso Buco, but I haven’t found any others that I really love. Your chicken looks great though–I love the pot pie description, I may give it a try tomorrow. Have a good weekend.

How wonderful to have your own fig tree! Grilled figs sounds amazing, thank you for the idea.

5. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says:

The smothered chicken looks amazing!! I know my hubs would love this, I saved this one for sure!

Let me know what you think of it, I love to get feed back!

6. Genie@dietof51 says:

When are you going to start publishing your own magazine?

I see it on the stands at B&N already, right next to the heavy hitters.

Such a talent you have to write so enthusiastically about what many of us would call “a lot of work”, which is my overall opinion of cooking!

LOL you are so funny! I guess cooking seems easy if you enjoy it. Just like most things in life it isn’t work if we like what we are doing.

Sure wish you lived closer as I would cook for you!

7. JANINE says:

Thank you thank you thank you for a nice new dressing to try. Our fig tree is bursting with figs, and they spoil really quickly–so I’m trying to find ways to use them, other than eating out of hand.

Hey Janine the figs are good with a little goat cheese or feta and a walnut, wrapped in a little prosciutto as an appetizer or add some slices to a turkey sandwich.

1. Janine says:

thanks for the other suggestions—I’d never even considered adding them to my turkey sandwich.
        Re: lots of leftovers with Katy gone, I still cook large batches. I bought a lot of lock ‘n lock containers that nest (so less storage space), and freeze in single or double portions. Now I have tons of healthy pre-made frozen meals.

Great idea and I am freezing more and more left overs! It is a learning curve for me.

8. Bringing Pretty Back says:

How I love my crock pot!
    I am always looking for new great recipes!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

9. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I have a big slow cooker that I use about once a week. I have a fricase de pollo recipe that is good in the crock pot.

10. Greta says:

I tried the smothered chicken tonight and served it over biscuits. Huge hit with me and my picky eater boyfriend! It’s real comfort food for not too many calories.

I did add 1c of sliced mushrooms to it.

Thanks for coming back and letting me know you liked it!

11. Sissie A says:

Found your site from a post you made on WW. Thank you for mentioning it. I like the fact you use so many vegetables.

Thanks

Hi Sissie! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I had great success on the WW program. I post only tried and true recipes that my
      family enjoys. I hope you will come back often.

Happy Cooking!

1. Crockpot Recipes Steak Tips | Secrets Of The "Best Cooks" Blog says:

[...] Smothered Chicken in Gravy Slow Cooker / Figs / Amazing Dressing | [...]

2. Favorite Salmon Recipe and Multi Grain Pilaf | says:

[...] up Trader Joe’s multi grain pilaf. We also enjoyed a side salad of baby greens with my new favorite salad dressing. Then for dinner I just had a Boca on Ezekiel bread and another salad. I rather liked eating the [...]