Cilantro Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup

Are you ready for another recipe?

It has been a little over a week since I posted a recipe. How does time pass so quickly? Enjoy this Southwest twist on an old classic. Many of you may not agree, but I will take a turkey burger over a hamburger any day! The key to making good turkey burgers is to season them well and to not over cook them so they remain moist and tender. These cilantro flavored turkey burgers are good on their own.

They are even better smothered in chipotle ketchup and served on a whole wheat bun.

All you need is a little lettuce and this burger is good to munch.

Go ahead and double the recipe for the Chipotle ketchup as you will want to use it on other burgers or to dip oven fries in. Try my recipe for sweet potato fries and dip them in Chipotle kethcup – oh yum!

Cilantro Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup

• 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1/3 cup if you love the flavor of cilantro like me.
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 pound ground turkey (I like it to be very lean)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1  chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 4 (2 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
  • 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
  1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/3-inch-thick patty.
  2. Heat a large grill pan or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey patties, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.
  3. Remove 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Mince the chile, omit the seeds if you want less heat. Combine chile, adobo sauce, and ketchup.
  4. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each patty with 1 tablespoon chipotle ketchup and 1 lettuce leaf. Cover with top halves of buns.

Yield:  4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)

CALORIES 406 (30% from fat); FAT 13.6g (sat 4.3g,mono 4g,poly 3.7g); IRON 4.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 229mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.5g; SODIUM 977mg; PROTEIN 26.6g; FIBER 1.5g

Old WWP 9 / New WWPP 11

Tami’s Notes: Next time I think I will add some minced garlic and a teaspoon of ground cumin for even more flavor.

Adapted from Cooking Light, APRIL 2002

The Great Crayon Clean Up

I forgot to report that I was able to remove all of the melted black crayon from my clothes dryer! It took all of one afternoon, a lot of elbow grease, some glue gone cleaner and Mr Clean Magic Eraser cleaning pads. Those things really are like magic, I use them on a lot of things! The great clean up required hubby Tom to take apart the dryer so I could get to all of the little melted bits but all is well. Son David will be checking his pockets prior to washing his clothes in the future! Live and learn.

Good Things Come In Small Packages

Today I shipped a box to Spain filled with goodies for daughter Katy. I wish I had taken a photo of all the items we were able to pack into the flat rate box. It weighed 14 pounds 11 ounces!  Hubby Tom didn’t think we were going to be able to get it all in the box so he had me separate the must have items into one pile and put the rest to the side. I sure would have been disappointed if  anything had to be left out. Hubby Tom is a master packer and he out did himself this time and no gifts were left behind! (I often let him repack my suitcase because he does it so well.)

Slow To Load

The blog was loading slowly today and David helped me contact the web host and he made the changes they suggested to help speed things up. If it continues to load slow for anyone please let me know using the comment section or email me.

Thank you for all of the comments on yesterdays post. I love getting feedback!

Don’t Read and Run, Leave Me A Comment!

Do you cook with ground turkey?

1. Ann says:

I’m printing this right now. I can totally taste those burgers. Drool…

2. Karen says:

Nope. Except for one recipe that calls for ground anything and I go with turkey if that is what the store has instead of ground chicken. But my kids… oh so picky.

3. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Tami, I want these burgers! I am bookmarking now… :)

4. LaniePainie says:

I was sent over by Dr. “fatty” and I love your blog so far! Gotta go read more!

Thanks for stopping by!

5. tj says:

I love turkey burgers! :)

6. fatgirlwearingthin says:

I think I need to get with the program here on the turkey craze. My last attempt was turkey bacon and it was pretty awful – very rubbery. But these photos make me want to run to the store right now, make them and have dinner all over again tonight. Definitely will try, and thanks for the post :)

Tami, those burgers look so good. Hate to admit this, but I’ve never had a turkey burger. Will give them a try! We had friends who were missionaries in Africa and could not get many things they needed (and wanted)! I became a master at packing a small box with a LOT of things. BTW, you guessed right! I’m on my way to spend a week with Tish in Alexandria. We have big plans for burning lots of calories! Wish you could join us! Sharon

Hope you have a great time with Tish!

8. Dawne says:

Well, this is meant to be. I recently stocked up on extra lean ground turkey, as it was on sale for 99 cents a pound. We also harvested our garden this weekend, and I froze a pile of cilantro…although my kids hate that herb. Mama loves it! Thanks for the recipe!

99 cents a pound is amazing!I never thought to freeze cilantro what a great idea!

Another awesome recipe Tami!! Not sure about the chipoltle though…probably can’t get anything like that here. But I will make the burgers. I’m the only one who likes ground turkey but that’s okay, more for me!

Hoping you don’t mind but I’ve made a Nutmeg Notebook cookbook in my Mastercook? You have so many awesome looking recipes that I plan on trying!!

Katy is going to love getting her parcel. I’m a fairly good packer but Bryce does it a bit better than I do!

Sometimes I mix my home canned salsa in with ketchup so I could probably use that instead of the chipoltle!

Carol I find the canned chipotle peppers in the Mexican food aisle at the regular grocery store.

Your salsa mixed with ketchup would be a great alternative.

10. Leslie says:

Another winning recipe from Tami! I printed it and have all the ingredients on hand, so tonight’s dinner is set!

I hope you will report back Leslie and let me know if you liked them!

11. Brightside-Suan says:

Just in time – I have gotten tired of my 2 standby turkey burker recipes!

My daughter does not eat beef or lamb and we do not eat pork – so ground turkey has long been our substitute for all our old ground beef recipes. I buy the four packs at Costco.