Are you ready for another recipe?
It has been a little over a week since I posted a recipe. How does time pass so quickly? Enjoy this Southwest twist on an old classic. Many of you may not agree, but I will take a turkey burger over a hamburger any day! The key to making good turkey burgers is to season them well and to not over cook them so they remain moist and tender. These cilantro flavored turkey burgers are good on their own.
They are even better smothered in chipotle ketchup and served on a whole wheat bun.
All you need is a little lettuce and this burger is good to munch.
Go ahead and double the recipe for the Chipotle ketchup as you will want to use it on other burgers or to dip oven fries in. Try my recipe for sweet potato fries and dip them in Chipotle kethcup – oh yum!
Cilantro Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Ketchup
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or 1/3 cup if you love the flavor of cilantro like me.
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey (I like it to be very lean)
- Cooking spray
- 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from a (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) whole wheat hamburger buns
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/3-inch-thick patty.
- Heat a large grill pan or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add turkey patties, and cook 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Mince the chile, omit the seeds if you want less heat. Combine chile, adobo sauce, and ketchup.
- Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each patty with 1 tablespoon chipotle ketchup and 1 lettuce leaf. Cover with top halves of buns.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)
CALORIES 406 (30% from fat); FAT 13.6g (sat 4.3g,mono 4g,poly 3.7g); IRON 4.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 229mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.5g; SODIUM 977mg; PROTEIN 26.6g; FIBER 1.5g
Old WWP 9 / New WWPP 11
Tami’s Notes: Next time I think I will add some minced garlic and a teaspoon of ground cumin for even more flavor.
Adapted from Cooking Light, APRIL 2002
The Great Crayon Clean Up
I forgot to report that I was able to remove all of the melted black crayon from my clothes dryer! It took all of one afternoon, a lot of elbow grease, some glue gone cleaner and Mr Clean Magic Eraser cleaning pads. Those things really are like magic, I use them on a lot of things! The great clean up required hubby Tom to take apart the dryer so I could get to all of the little melted bits but all is well. Son David will be checking his pockets prior to washing his clothes in the future! Live and learn.
Good Things Come In Small Packages
Today I shipped a box to Spain filled with goodies for daughter Katy. I wish I had taken a photo of all the items we were able to pack into the flat rate box. It weighed 14 pounds 11 ounces! Hubby Tom didn’t think we were going to be able to get it all in the box so he had me separate the must have items into one pile and put the rest to the side. I sure would have been disappointed if anything had to be left out. Hubby Tom is a master packer and he out did himself this time and no gifts were left behind! (I often let him repack my suitcase because he does it so well.)
Slow To Load
The blog was loading slowly today and David helped me contact the web host and he made the changes they suggested to help speed things up. If it continues to load slow for anyone please let me know using the comment section or email me.
Thank you for all of the comments on yesterdays post. I love getting feedback!
Don’t Read and Run, Leave Me A Comment!
Do you cook with ground turkey?