Maple Roasted Root Vegetables and Hot 100 Challenge Week 3

As promised I am posting one of my favorite roasted root vegetable recipes. My version was inspired by a Cooking Light recipe you can view the original recipe here. It used a lot of honey and I prefer a smaller amount of real grade B Maple syrup. If you don’t have Grade B, Grade A dark Amber Maple syrup has a good flavor is easier to find and is a little cheaper as well. Just don’t use the water downed grocery store pancake syrup as it doesn’t contain real maple syrup!

Now don’t turn up your nose at the list of root vegetables involved here. Perhaps you have never eaten a parsnip or a turnip and you don’t think you will like them. Throw caution to the wind and try this recipe! It is a wonderful mix of sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips and mild shallots tossed with real maple syrup, olive oil salt and pepper. They are roasted in a hot oven and the natural sugars of the root vegetables comes out and the maple syrup adds just a little more sweetness. Here they are ready to go in the oven.

If you choose you can add some fresh garlic to the mix or some herbs depending on what you are serving this with. Think rosemary with chicken, thyme with pork and so on. Feel free to substitute the vegetables you have on hand as well, any combination of root vegetables will work. I happen to be fond of rutabagas and they are sweeter than turnips if you are new to root vegetables they are a good one to start with. In this batch I used turnips as that is what I had on hand and I seasoned them with just salt and freshly ground black pepper. Perfection!

I was a little short on time last night and we were eating late as it was so I just roasted these for 35 minutes. About 10 more minutes would have allowed them to become more caramelized and golden brown. The end result is a mild, sweet slightly maple flavored side dish. I served it along side some grilled chicken breast and oven roasted green beans. Even David will eat root vegetables cooked this way.  Shhh-don’t tell him there are turnips and parsnips in there!

MAPLE ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES

• 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/2 cups parsnips, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/2 cups turnips, peeled and diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons real Maple syrup
  • 3 shallots, peeled and sliced in half or thirds (or 1/2 of a mild red onion if shallots are not available)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Optional, fresh garlic cloves, peeled, your choice of herbs.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Line a jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Be sure to dice the vegetables all in the same size cubes so they will cook evenly. Toss all of the ingredients together, I just do it right on the foiled line pan. Why dirty a bowl? Roast in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, stir the vegetables about every 15 minutes. Roast until vegetables are tender and caramelized to your liking. Enjoy!

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving: 157 Calories; 5g Fat (26.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 44mg Sodium.

Old WWP 3 / New WWPP 4

THE HOT 100 CHALLENGE WEEK 3 UPDATE!

MY HOT 100 CHALLENGE GOALS

1. Work out with weights 3 times a week concentrating on upper arms.

2. Eat 3 fish meals a week with a focus on getting Omega 3′s.

3. Take vitamins and supplements every day as recommended by my doctor.

RESULTS FOR WEEK 3

1. I did it! I worked out with weights 3 times this week. I still find that I have to make myself do this work out. Once I get started I am fine but it has been a challenge for me. The top side of my biceps is firming up but the flabby underside is still flapping in the wind!

2. I almost did it! Salmon was on the menu this past week and I had it 2 times so I got two good does of good Omega 3′s from my food. I will try again next week to make it up to 3!

3. I almost did it! I took my vitamins 5 days out of the last 7 again. This seems to be a trend with me. There were 2 days where I just forgot! I am glad that I am at least getting them in some of the time and this next week I am going to establish a given meal to take them at in order to create a consistent habit.

I am not completely happy with how I did this past week on my goals. I fell short on two of them and so this next week I have decided to get out my food journal and log not only my food but my Hot 100 challenge goals as well. It will help keep me on my toes!

On a positive note I know that if I had not been doing the challenge perhaps none of these things would have happened so I am making progress! Today starts week 4 of the challenge for me!

Focusing on progress not perfection!

PLEASE DON’T READ AND RUN! LET ME KNOW YOU WERE HERE.

QUESTION OF THE DAY;

DO YOU LIKE ROOT VEGETABLES?

My favorite root vegetables would have to be sweet potatoes, carrots, rutabagas and beets! Okay I like most root veggies!

1 ping

1. Karen says:

I am not sure I have ever eaten parsnips or turnips! I think I would like this. I used to really dislike cooked carrots but then after trying some amazing ones in a restaurant I learned that if I roast slices with sugar free maple syrup they are like candy! (When I am not eating “on plan”, I go for the “real” syrup too!)

2. LAF says:

Those roasted veggies look delicious and I bet the leftovers are just as good. Nice job on your Hot 100 Goals, that’s such a fun challenge!

The left overs do reheat nicely and we enjoyed them the next night as well!

3. Ann says:

Well, I know I like turnips. To me they sorta taste like potatoes. Parsnips, I have NO idea. Now you have me curious so this one is a must do next week. Thanks! Also, good job on those goals. TAKE YOUR VITAMINS! ;)

Those veggies look so YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like most root veggies but some better than others. :-)

Good work on the challenge!!!!

Nice recipe Tami!! Another one for me to try!I love rutabagas more than turnips….they are a yellow color. Almost a traditional holiday vegetable here…mashed with butter!
    I can’t say that I love parsnips but will eat them.The rest of the vegetables I like!

I take my vitamins every morning while I’m making my breakfast. I’m not doing the challenge but I have had salmon 3 times this week.I also take an Omega3 supplement.

6. fatgirlwearingthin says:

This particular dish looks so incredibly good to me (and I didn’t recognize three quarters of what was on that baking sheet!) I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a blog where I’ve wanted to try practically everything posted, but your dishes look too good to pass up. Plus, I need the practice and you make everything look easy to prepare – I am not a strong cook by any measure, so thanks for the ideas!

You are so sweet! I have to say that most of the recipes I post are pretty easy and straight forward. My passion is really baking as opposed to cooking. But since I am trying to live a healthy lifestyle which includes good nutrition I am working on my cooking skills and baking less and less!

7. tj says:

I love roasted veggies- these look great! :) YUM!

8. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy says:

This looks excellent! I love roasted veggies and with the maple, it sounds wonderful! Thanks!

9. Pippa says:

Tami, it’s SO nice to meet you! BOOYAH on good progress on your goals. All the best for the coming Hottie week!

I looooooooooove roasted veggies, these look fabulous. I’m definitely subscribing to your feed for more, more, more.

Hi Pippa, thanks for stopping by. I hope you come back often!

10. Ann says:

Well, I tried this recipe and I have to say it was good. Except for 1 thing. I grabbed some rutabaga with the turnips and sweet potato and parsnips. I figured it was a root veggie why not? Apparently rutabaga, parsnips and horseradish are related. I didn’t know this until tonight when I had an allergic reaction. Next time, I’ll just do the sweet potatoes. The flavor was nice though, until the whole tongue swelling, throat itching, tongue tingling thing. Ha ha. Live and learn.

Ann I am so sorry you had an allergic reaction to this recipe! Live and learn is right! Hope you are all better now.

11. Kat says:

I love root veggies and have never thought to add maple syrup. yum. Great job on your goals last week. I hope your toe heals quickly.

12. Greta says:

I made this tonight with the root vegetables I had on hand, which meant replacing the sweet potatoes with some rutabegas. It was delicious! I love root vegetables, and the maple syrup made them just perfectly sweet and savory.

Greta I am so glad you liked it! Roasted vegetables just seem to have so much more flavor! Thanks for coming back and letting me know you enjoyed the recipe!

1. Tweets that mention Maple Roasted Root Vegetables and Hot 100 Challenge Week 3 | -- Topsy.com says:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by james hamilton and Julie Rose, tom serona. tom serona said: Maple Roasted Root Vegetables and Hot 100 Challenge Week 3 |: As promised I am posting one of my favorite roasted … http://bit.ly/aIA1T2 [...]