Mediterranean Tuna Melt

I found myself getting into a rut with my lunches eating either a boca or a salmon patty, so I decided to shake things up this week. Tuna salad sounded good so I had to try a recipe I had found on Cooking Light that sounded unusual. I tweaked it a bit to get it just right! I love the results! Artichoke hearts, green onions, oregano and red pepper mixed in with the tuna and my addition of Dijon mustard and capers made it perfect!

The original recipe called for piling the filling on toasted English muffins, topping with cheese and popping it under the broiler. I didn’t have English muffins on hand so I decided to spread the filling between two slices of Sesame Ezekiel bread with a slice of reduced fat provolone cheese and grill it like a traditional patty melt. Not wanting to use butter I sprayed each side of the sandwich with butter flavored cooking spray and toasted it in a non stick skillet. Fabulous! I will be able to get three sandwiches out of the filling!

I apologize in advance for the poor quality photos of the sandwich. Hubby Tom borrowed my good camera for work so I was using a very old digital camera that I really didn’t know how to use! Even so you can see how nicely the tuna melt toasted up and the cheese got all melty.

This was such a pleasant change of flavors.

Mediterranean Tuna Melt

• 1/2 cup drained canned artichoke hearts, finely chopped (I used my mini food processor)
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (original recipe called for 1 teaspoon olive oil)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tuna packed in water, drained and flaked with a fork (mine can was 5 ounces)
  • 1 Tablespoon capers, drained
  • 3 slices reduced fat provolone cheese slices

Whole Grain bread

In a small bowl combine first 9 ingredients together, mix well. Divide mixture evenly on 3 slices of whole grain bread, top with a slice of cheese, place another slice of whole grain bread on top of cheese. Preheat a nonstick skillet or griddle, spray each side of sandwich with butter flavored non stick spray and place sandwich in skillet. When toasted and golden brown turn over and grill other side. YUM!

Inspired by Cooking Lights Altuna Melt recipe.

TRADER JOE’S SHOPPING SPREE

My family and friends in Nebraska are getting their first Trader Joe’s and I am so excited for them. I took a couple photos of my purchases yesterday so they can see a sample of what I buy there. I thought others might also like to see what I purchased. I wish everyone had a Trader Joe’s, you can’t beat their prices!

Not pictured because I had already put it away was  hormone free stew meat, a half turkey breast and FF creamer. The little cats chocolate cookies are for son David! I did have one, yep just one! A new organic market is going in a the same shopping center as Trader Joe’s. I noticed when I was shopping yesterday that TJ’s had employees floating around offering assistance to shoppers. I think they are worried about the competition that is coming.

Tuesdays is my Farmer’s Market day and I got there late but still managed to snag two bags of green beans and some leeks. Sadly the peaches were all sold out, so I dashed in to Whole Foods and they happen to sell the same local peaches that are available at the Farmer’s Market. Score! I also got Figs – have you tried fresh figs yet? They are so amazing and sweet.

I am working on some new Fall recipes, perfecting them and hope to have some new ones to post soon! There might even be a dessert in the mix!

Is anyone having trouble getting on my blog or having trouble with it loading slowly? I had a terrible time getting on myself yesterday. I contacted my host server and they said everything is fine on their end so I am trying to figure out if it has to do with my computer or my Internet connection.

Thanks For Your Comments!

ANY TROUBLE GETTING ON MY BLOG OR IT LOADING SLOWLY?

WHAT DO YOU EAT FOR LUNCH?

1. Karen says:

I’ve not experienced any problems with your blog:) My husband is going to see if he can figure out that PHP thing you told me about; I sure couldn’t! I have tuna every so often. Usually just with mayo and melted cheese on top; no bread. I have a great tuna salad recipe from Canyon Ranch but I rarely have all the ingredients on hand.

I have had a couple of recipes in the past from the Canyon Ranch that were good!

Hope you can get your blog problems solved. It is really over my head but thank goodness my son is able to do the things the service support people suggest.

2. Leslie says:

The tuna sounds yummy. I keep several Starkist packets of white tuna – 90 cals a piece, at work to mix with cottage cheese for a super protein lunch. The extra seasonings would sure make it better! Capers are becoming my new favorite addition to just about everything.

Your TJoe’s haul looks a lot like mine! Let me know how you like the Cranberry apple butter. I had 2 Tbs. in my yogurt this morning and it was yummy.

Leslie I never thought to mix cottage cheese and tuna together but what a great idea for a protein packed easy lunch! Throw some capers in the mix next time. I love capers! Have you seen the chicken picatta recipe on my blog? It uses capers and is so good!

Thanks for the reminder about the TJ’s Cranberry apple butter. I need to get it out of the pantry and put some on toast or a cracker with light laughing cow cheese. YUM!

3. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Your blog loads fine for me :)

I love the addition of artichoke hearts to your tuna melt! What a GREAT idea!!!

Marisa thanks for the feed back! I am starting to think it is my Internet here at home that is the problem! This tuna melt was good!

No problems logging on from my computer!

LOVE tuna melts but I usually just add sweet pickle relish, mayo & chopped onion. I’ve done the same with chicken salad.Your recipe looks great!

I’ll have to make my own cranberry apple butter…sounds delicious & I know we don’t get it here!

Thanks for the feed back about the blog Carol. I have had problems all day today so it must be me not the blog!

I hope you will share your recipe if you make some cranberry apple butter! I need to open that jar from TJ’s and give it a try!

5. Judy says:

Tami, the tuna melt sounds wonderful! The artichokes & green onions caught my eye! I am not a big tuna eater–as you know so I am going to try it with chicken!
    I am so excited about Trader Joes coming to Nebraska. Its great to see what you pick out!

Ps no problem logging on!

Hi Judy! Oh yes, you would like it with chicken. I had another one of these tuna melts tonight and it was so good!

I am so excited that you are getting a Trader Joe’s. All the stores don’t carry the exact same items but we should have mostly the same stuff. We can share about what we buy and try! Fun!Fun!

Clearly I like food way too much! :)

Thanks for letting me know you can log on okay! Good to know.

6. fatgirlwearingthin says:

Tami, you had me at artichokes ;) I pray every night for a Trader Joes, along with half of our city, but evidently we are not ‘big’ enough to have one nearby. I would almost move just to be closer to one.
    I have had no trouble whatsoever getting on to your site. Everything working fine from my end. How’s your foot?

I use to drive to another town to a Trader Joe’s and a Whole Foods. I would take a cooler and stock up!

Thanks for letting me the blog is loading okay for you.

My foot and toes are doing better. Thanks for asking!

7. Genie@dietof51 says:

That sandwich looks perfect. Send one right over. I would have never thought to put artichokes in tuna salad. Sounds fabulous!

I know it sounds like a strange combo but it was so tasty!