Even though this soup recipe is easy and uses simple pantry ingredients it results in big flavor with some kick! It starts with chopped corn tortillas, onion and garlic sautéed in a little olive oil. Add some canned tomatoes – I like fire roasted tomatoes with green Chilies for extra flavor and chicken broth or stock. For warmth and depth in flavor a hefty amount of ground cumin, chili powder, and bay leaves are added to the simmering base. During the simmering process the corn tortillas start to break apart making the soup thicken a little. At the end the bay leaves are removed and the chicken is added in, I also like to add the fresh chopped cilantro at the end to get the full impact of it’s flavor.
SPICY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (original recipe called for 3 T)
- 8 corn tortillas cut into squares
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1- 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1- 14.5 ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 6 cups Chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 – 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Use with caution. I skip this as it has plenty of heat for us with out!
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped Cilantro
- fresh lime slices
Optional Toppings; low fat sour cream, chopped olives, diced avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, crumbled tortilla chips.
In a large dutch oven over a medium heat, add tortillas, garlic and onion, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and chicken stock or broth, add cumin, chili powder, salt, bay leaves and cayenne pepper if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in cooked chicken and fresh cilantro. Heat until chicken is hot. Ladle into bowls and serve with lime wedges to squeeze into soup and toppings if desired.
Serves: 6 Serving Size: 1.5 cup
Nutritional Information (not including optional toppings)
Per Serving: 262 Calories; 6g Fat (21.7% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 1667mg Sodium.
Old WWP 5 / New WWPP 6
Adapted from a recipe posted on the Cooking Light Message Board, posted by RebeccaT. Original source Houston Junior League Cookbook