Cranberry Apple Crisp

I hope everyone enjoyed a nice holiday weekend. I took a break from blogging and enjoyed time with family and friends over the weekend. We entertained, having friends over for dinner Friday night and Saturday night. I do have a couple of new recipes to share that we tried and liked. Years ago I met a woman who was married to an officer in the military. She shared with me that there was a certain amount of entertaining in their home that went with her husbands job, so she often entertained two nights in a row. She figured if her house was cleaned and ready to go it made sense to do the entertaining all in the same weekend. Get this, to keep things easy, she made the exact same meal both nights! I wouldn’t do that but hey it worked for her.

I decided to make a cranberry apple crisp Saturday night for our dinner guests. After reviewing  a few recipes I threw together my own version and the results were outstanding! Granny Smith apples and fresh cranberries tossed with some sugar and lemon juice, then topped with a combination of whole wheat flour, oats, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and real Maple syrup. All baked until hot and bubbly. Served warm with a scoop of low fat ice cream. What a perfect ending to a winter meal.

The combination of apples and cranberries is delightfully satisfying with a whole grain topping adding a little crunch.

Cranberry Apple Crisp

• 1.5 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed
  • 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
  • ½ cup sugar (if you use a sweeter apple use less sugar, the Granny Smith are very tart)
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Cup Oats
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Real Maple Syrup
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Lightly spray a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with non stick spray.
  3. Combine apples and cranberries with lemon juice, add sugar and stir to evenly coat the fruit. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
  4. Lightly spoon flour into a measuring cup, level off. Combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, butter, and maple syrup with a fork, mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly and apples are tender.
  5. Serving suggestion, serve warm in shallow bowls with low fat vanilla ice cream.

Yields: 8 servings

Per Serving: 262 Calories; 4g Fat (14.7% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 36mg Sodium.

Old WWP 5 / New WWPP 7

I hope to have time later today to answer your recent questions and to visit other blogs and catch up on everyone! I have a time deadline this morning to get to the University campus to see a professor and get some paperwork done for daughter Katy!

Blessings,

ADD YOUR THOUGHTS

I love the tart flavor of cranberries and use them in many different dishes. In fact I buy several extra bags of fresh cranberries this time of year and freeze them for future use through out the year.

Do you like fresh cranberries? If so how do you use them?

1. Karen says:

Looks great – I love apple crisps of any variety. I have never cooked with fresh cranberries… which is not saying much since I am not much of a cook:) But I do have some recipes with the dried version. Love them in salads.

Karen the fresh cranberries are very tart but that allows them to pair well with other fruit and a little sweetness or sometimes a lot of sweetness! I too like the dried cranberries in a variety of ways!

I’m beginning to wonder if you’ve got an inside link to my pantry. Once again, I have all of these items on hand. Even the fresh cranberries! (A first for me, and I’m starting simple with a basic cranberry sauce.)

We must shop in similar manor Cammy since we both seem to have the same basic ingredients in the pantry! I like a home made cranberry sauce too!

3. Leslie says:

I have a recipe for this (a little different) that I’ve made for years. I like that changes you made with the WW flour and maple syrup! I have leftover fresh cranberries so may have to try it!

Oh Leslie, do give it a try. One of our guests said she had apples and fresh cranberries from their CSA box so she was going to make a pan of the crisp. I don’t think you will be disappointed.:)

4. fittingbackin says:

I’ve never had fresh cranberries! I know. Crazy. I just came around to them this year when I added dry ones to salads. YUM. They’re chewy. Like nature’s candy indeed.

Too funny about doing the same meal 2 nights in a row. I couldn’t do it either – only because I’d hate to have the EXACT same thing like that! More fun to do a 2nd menu!

I agree with you, more fun to cook and eat something different the second night! Glad you discovered cranberries, they are good in so many recipes.

I’ve actually never cooked anything with fresh cranberries. My dad’s signature Thanksgiving dish was an orange and cranberry relish, but no one like it except him!

Glad you unplugged for the weekend! :D

Biz don’t let your dad’s recipe keep you from these little gems! They are very versatile and I know with you being such an adventurous cook you would find many ways to enjoy cranberries! :)

6. Ann says:

I love cranberries. I made a huge bowl of cranberry salad for Thanksgiving, sugar free of course and I am freezing some for later, but I did have extra cranberries. I was just thinking last night of making a cobbler or crisp but wondering which fruit to mix it with since by themselves would be too tart. I love fresh cranberries and really, all kinds of cranberries. I had white stilton cheese with cranberries and granny smith apples in my salad last night. I have a whole bunch of apples I need to use. This crisp is on the menu. As usual, your blog is awesome. No wonder it is on my must read list.

Ann you are so sweet with your comments. Your salad sounds wonderful, what a wonderful combination of flavors and I bet it was pretty too!

Another keeper recipe Tami…looks delicious!I have all the ingredients too!

I love cranberries!I have 4 or 5 bags in the freezer and plan to get more. I always make my own cranberry sauce or jelly…the jelly is far better than the canned stuff! Tonight I’m using dried cranberries in my turkey shepherd’s pie.

Not sure I could do 2 big meals right in a row…maybe when i was younger!!

Carol I need to get some more cranberries for the freezer. Entertaining two nights in a row is a lot of work, but hubby was a big help which lightened my load!

8. Melissa says:

I had a cranberry apple crisp at a Thanksgiving party last week and fell in love. Thanks for the recipe!!

You are welcome Melissa, hope you enjoy the crisp as much as we do.

It’s funny that as a kid I thought apples should be red and grapes green. Now red grapes, and Granny Smith apples are my favorites! What was I thinking :-)

Nice looking desert, Tami!