Shown with a cheddar cornmeal biscuit with chives.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound raw, boneless skinless, chicken breast, cubed or 12 ounces shredded cooked chicken or turkey meat
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 small cans, chopped green chiles, mild
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons, ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro (of course you can use fresh, about 1 Tablespoon, chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 – 16 ounce cans white beans, undrained
- fresh chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese
- avocado, diced
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
1. If using raw chicken or turkey, saute meat in oil in a dutch oven, when cooked completely, remove and keep warm. If using left over chicken or tureky, skip the first step and proceed to step 2.
2. In dutch oven over medium heat, add oil, saute onion until translucent, about 2 minutes, stir in broth, chiles and seasonings. Simmer about 30 minutes. Stir in chicken or turkey, beans undrained and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture is hot enough to serve. Ladle into bowls and add garnishes if desired.
Note: The original recipe called for twice this amount of chicken but I have found that if I shred the chicken or turkey meat it takes up more volume than diced and 12 ounces is plenty! You can halve this recipe if desired, but it does freeze well so why not make a big batch and have some ready to go in the freezer for future meals.
Yield: 8 Servings.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 266 Calories; 6g Fat (20.4% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 420mg Sodium.
Old WWP 5 / New WWPP 6
Adapted from a B & B recipe from Judy