Dulces de España – Sweets From Spain

Hello everyone! I have been enjoying a break from blogging but it is time to get back in the swing of things. We had a wonderful Christmas day relaxing with the family, eating awesome food and exchanging gifts. We are so grateful that Katy was able to come home early from Spain and she missed the bad weather both in Europe and the East coast where she had a layover. Katy is a fellow “foodie” so of course she packed her suitcase with lots of  wonderful food treats from Spain for us to sample. That’s my girl!

This is a collection of traditional Christmas Spanish treats. Many of the baked goods shown include ground almonds and lard! They actually melt in your mouth, are slightly sweet and very rich. I have not had anything like them before.

On the plate below, starting at the top left, the white confection is called turrón and it is crunchy like a peanut brittle but it is made with whole almonds. I really liked it. Top right is a soft turrón which is made from eggs, honey, sugar and ground almonds. These are the two traditional types of turrón.

Moving to the lower right the two oval shaped confections are called Polvorón Traditional and Polvorón Chocolate. The ingredient list reads as follows; wheat flour, sugar, animal fat, cinnamon, aromas and antioxidant. They melt in your mouth, must be all that animal fat!

The round sesame seed coated one on the lower left is called Mantecado De Artesania which translates into Artisan lard! I kid you not. It was actually the most flavorful of the cookie type confections.

The almond shaped confections are called Almendras Rellenas which means stuffed almonds. The base is a almond wafer, stuffed with marzipan and coated with chocolate. Very sweet! A little taste goes a long way.

The Violet sweets were my favorite dulces (sweets) that Katy brought us. These hard little dulces (sweets) are made from the essence of violets that grow in the mountains of Spain. These are the original violet dulces made by the well known La Violeta shop in Madrid. They have a delicate sweet flavor that is very pleasing. The flavor is unlike anything I have ever had so there is nothing I can compare it to. Aren’t they cute?

The bakery boxes in Spain are adorable. Just look at the design on this one. It came wrapped in pink paper, tied with twine. Katy said every bakery has their signature design and paper to wrap your purchases in. This bakery was established in 1894.

Empiñonadas happens to be one of Katy’s favorite confections from Spain. The center is marzipan which has been rolled in toasted pine nuts and drizzled with a sweet sticky glaze. Marzipan is a confection made from ground almonds and sugar. This Spanish version originated in Toledo, Spain but is now available all over Spain. This is very rich and dense. They sell for one Euro each which is about $1.30.

There is a much slimmer selection of pre-packaged food for on the go in Spain. It is considered very rude to eat in public unless you are at a Cafe. People don’t snack while riding the metro (subway) or walking. Sometimes Katy has gotten out a granola bar on the metro and she said the old Spanish women give her dirty looks when she does! They have Kellogg’s brand products but she said they mostly taste like cardboard! I tried the mini breaks and thought they were pretty good. Note that they advertise 99 calories for this package.

I had a little taste of everything Katy brought from Spain and the ones I really like I had a full piece of! Not all at once of course, it has been over the past week. I am not use to so much fat and sugar and the mouth feel of all that lard is quite different. I prefer the taste of butter in baked goods.

I got on the scale this morning to see how much damage was done and I am only up 2 pounds! That isn’t bad given all the rich foods we have eaten in the past week and all the eating out we have done. We have been trying to get in all of Katy’s favorite foods at home as well as her favorite restaurants. Christmas dinner was pork ribs with some hefty side dishes but I also made a fresh green salad and I noticed that everyone took a good size serving of salad. I have been getting in my walks and that is helping to counter the extra calories. The two pounds will drop quickly and I am not at all worried about the gain.

Katy and I went shopping yesterday and the lines were so long at the check out counters. I did get some cute new jeans and an adorable peach colored cardigan. It was nice to have my shopping partner with me and she insures that I get stylish jeans that are modern yet appropriate for my age! No “mom” jeans allowed!

I have started planning my New Years Eve menu. I like to keep it simple and this year I will be making a Broccoli Cheese Soup and several appetizers. We will stay at home on New Years Eve and celebrate with Katy and David and any of their friends who want to join us. We will eat, play games and watch movies!

Blessings,

Have you weighed in yet?

What are your New Years Eve Plans?

1. leslie says:

I’m jealous of your time with Katy! But happy for you of course:) Our daughter stayed in the Dom. Rep., and the 1.5 hour skype call just wasn’t the same as having her with us! Enjoy the rest of your holidays Tami.

Thanks Lesile. At least we have skype, those video chats are priceless! It is such a comfort to be able to see the other person and not just hear their voice. I’m sorry your daughter couldn’t be with you for the holidays. It’s not the same with out them.

2. fittingbackin says:

Love it! So glad she made it home safely and that she came with so many great treats! I’m up a pound… i’m SHOCKED it’s not more – I guess I burned a ton of calories skiing because lord knows I said YES to a lot of ‘no’ foods and treats! New Year’s plans are still TBD!

Great job being only 1 pound up! All that exercise on the slopes helps!

3. Ann says:

Glad you are having a great time with Katy. Enjoy your New Year!

Happy New Year to you Ann!

4. Karen says:

Oh that taste sampler looks fun! I’m a dud on New Year’s and probably will be asleep.

LOL! Sometimes I make it until midnight and sometimes I fall asleep earlier in the evening but wake up when the neighbors start shooting off fireworks!

How wonderful! I feel as if I’ve been to Spain. Thanks so much for taking time to post the pics and provide the descriptions.

We have to be out of our rental home in Florida by 10 on New Year’s Day, so I expect New Year’s Eve will include some packing. That’s o.k. = the house has been so perfect, I just wish we could’ve had it for a couple more days, but it was already rented for the month of January.

6. erica @ fashionmeetsfood says:

How exciting that your daughter was home for Christmas I bet that just made your whole year. The sweets look wonderful!

xo

I’m feeling heavier just reading about all that lard! :)
    But I loved looking at the pretties.

No big plans for New Year’s here. I like it that way. :)

OK, YUM & decadent! Really pretty stuff from Spain!

I love your attitude about the 2 pounds. That is how it should be & if others just realized that getting back to the basics quick, it will just come off. Good for you Tami for enjoying & knowing it will come off too! :-)

Very nice looking assortment of goodies Katy brought home for you to sample!
    When does Katy have to go back to Spain? I know you are going to miss her!

I was up 2 lbs. on Boxing Day but have since lost that…hope to maintain or even a small loss at weigh in tonight!

Happy New Years Tami…might not be back for a few days…lots of drama going on here that we are trying to deal with!!

10. Janine says:

You’ve done an awesome job on weight maintenance, with the holidays and parties. To me, since I can fluctuate that much in a week, it’s considered maintenance!!!!
    I really enjoyed your description of the treats from Spain. Like you, I’d never seen or heard of any of these. Makes me wonder how the cardiac health is over there. Maybe lard isn’t as bad as we’ve thought? Just an idea.

11. Simply Life says:

I am obsessed with anything from Spain – these look great!

12. Judy says:

Tami, thanks for sharing in detail the foods from Spain! I love that Katy brought such a great selection for you to sample! So fun! Reminded me of the fun and interesting food Kim brought back from China! Some good–some not so much. The most interesting one was “corn candy” and it really tasted like sweetened corn! I love the little lavendar treats-how cute! Did they taste like lavendar? Its interesting to see what foods from other Countries! Tell Katy to enjoy her time in Spain!

The corn candy sounds interesting! The little flower shaped candies are actually made from the essential oil of violets. The flavor is light and fresh, very unique and not like anything I have ever tasted before.

Sadly, Katy leaves early tomorrow morning. This 3 weeks went by so fast. We have had a wonderful visit and are so glad she could come home. Hopefully it has recharged her battery and we will go see her during her Spring break so we all have that to look forward to.