On top of the outstanding flavor,this soup is a powerhouse of fiber,vitamins and good nutrition! The Italian sausages do add a lot of flavor and the al fresco brand are really low fat and low calorie for a sausage. These soup freezes well so be sure to put some away to enjoy later in the month.
Italian Sausage Bean Soup with Kale
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onion — chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled — cubed
- 3 cups russet potatoes, peeled– cubed
- 1 cup green beans — cut in 1″ pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup carrots — diced
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend or to your taste
- 4 cups kale — chopped, (remove the center stem as it is tough)
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Orzo or other small pasta
- 1- 15 ounce canned cannelini beans — rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 – 14.5 ounce canned tomato sauce
- 1 – 14.5 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 each – Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Links, sliced into coins or half moons. (I used al fresco brand, 130 cal per link)
1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat, add onion saute 3-4 minutes, add garlic, saute 1-2 minutes longer or until tender.
2. Add broth, squash, potatoes, green beans, carrots and Italian seasoning blend. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 -40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Add chopped kale, orzo, beans, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and sliced sausages. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 15 -20 minutes or until kale and orzo are completely cooked.
4. If soup is too thick add more broth. Serve with a hearty bread and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese if desired.
Makes 12 Servings about 1.5 cups each.
Per Serving (excluding optional cheese): 222 Calories; 5g Fat (21.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber .
Old WWP 4 / New WWPP 5