Italian Sausage Bean Soup With Kale

If its soup weather where you live you have to make this soup! We loved the combination of  sweet butternut squash, potatoes, onions, green beans, cannellini beans, sweet Italian sausage and the earthy goodness of chopped kale. On top of the outstanding flavor,this soup is a powerhouse of fiber,vitamins and good nutrition!

As in most soup recipes you don’t have to have the exact ingredients I used. For instance if you don’t have kale use spinach, no cannellini beans go ahead and use any white bean, no orzo pasta – use mini shells. You get the idea.

Enough said. Get out your soup pot and let’s get cooking!

This is one of those soups that is even better the second day!

Italian Sausage Bean Soup with Kale

• 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 cup onion — chopped
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups butternut squash, peeled — cubed
  • 3 cups russet potatoes, peeled– cubed
  • 1 cup green beans — cut in 1″ pieces (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup carrots — diced
  • 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend or to your taste
  • 4 cups kale – chopped, (remove the center stem as it is tough)
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat  Orzo or other small pasta
  • 1- 15 ounce canned cannelini beans — rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 – 14.5 ounce canned  tomato sauce
  • 1 – 14.5 ounce canned diced tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 each – Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Links, sliced into coins or half moons. (I used al fresco brand, 130 cal per link)

1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat, add onion saute 3-4 minutes, add garlic, saute 1-2 minutes longer or until tender.

2. Add broth, squash, potatoes, green beans, carrots and Italian seasoning blend. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 -40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

3. Add chopped kale, orzo, beans, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and sliced sausages. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 15 -20 minutes or until kale and orzo are completely cooked.

4. If soup is too thick add more broth. Serve with a hearty bread and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese if desired.

Makes 12 Servings about 1.5 cups each.

Per Serving (excluding optional cheese): 222 Calories; 5g Fat (21.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber .

Old WWP 4 / New WWPP 5

Thank you everyone for the comments and congratulations on my one year blog anniversary! A few blog readers posted comments for the first time and that made my day. Thank you!

I recently purchased the new Mastercook 11 Software for figuring the nutritional information of recipes. I am really slow at using it but I must say it is nice to be able to plug in a recipe I have created or one I have altered and be able to calculate the nutritional information and from there I can figure out the Weight Watcher Points Plus numbers. Very cool.

In checking some of the recipes I have posted over the past year I was surprised but delighted to discover that some of my favorite dessert recipes only went up one point with the new WWPP program. I love the new WWPP program.

The sun is shining here in Northern California today. I soaked up the warmth on my walk this morning! After many days of overcast dreary weather it is a welcome sight and put a smile on my face.

Smile -it feels good and one size fits all!

Have you ever noticed that if you smile at someone they usually smile back?

1. Karen says:

Did I already tell you I went to a WW meeting last week? I was a member years ago. Wanted to check out the new program since I was hearing great things and thought it might be a good focus when I’m recuperating. The big downside for me – calculating recipe points!!

Karen no I didn’t know you went to a WW meeting. That is awesome. Okay it is a learning curve to get use to the new
      WWPP system and the new point values but once you get the hang of it things get pretty easy.

I just got the new Mastercook 11 software and now I can calculate the nutritional information and figure out the points using the WWPP calculator. It takes time to plug all the ingredients into the program but once it is done you have it saved and don’t have to do it again.

I am wishing you much success on the new plan. Maybe this is just the change you need!

I use sparkpeople for checking nutritionals of recipes and it sure is helpful. I’ll have to test one to see if they calculate WWPP.

I didn’t have much success with the free on line tools for calculating the nutritional information, probably just me and my lack of understanding of it. The Mastercook doesn’t calculate the WWPP but I have the WW points calculator so once I have the nutritional info I can figure the points.

This soup looks delicious – can’t wait to try it! Enjoy your sunshine. We haven’t seen the sun in weeks (that’s the truth!) and are expecting two inches of snow overnight. It NEVER snows like this in East TN where we live. The mountains just east of us – yes! But not here. Ugh!

What a bummer that you are getting so much snow! My parents live in NE and they have had so much snow and cold weather this winter.

This too shall pass Sharon and Spring is just around the corner!
      Take Care and as my mom always says,”Make your own sunshine!”

What yummy looking soup Tami! True comfort food!!

I love, love the new PointsPlus program…I’ve done better in the last 6 weeks than I’ve done in the last few years!I don’t even think of the old Momentumn program now…PP was easy to get into!

Yes it is comfort food! I think the new WW program is amazing and from what I have read people are really having success with it.

Tami…I’ve started calculating some of your recipes that I have with the new PointsPlus., but so far only the ones that have all the nutrition listed.

A boss of mine used to tell the staff…”smile and the world smiles with you!”

That’s great Carol! I am slowly getting a few recalculated myself. It just takes time, which seems to be in short supply these days!

5. Roz says:

You are so right, if you smile at someone, they smile back. This recipe looks so good, thanks for sharing, have a great weekend!!

I am not a huge fan of kale, but I may sub in baby spinach. I love soup any time of the year – even in summer!

I’ve been meaning to get some kale! It comes in a bag too large so in the past I end up throwing it out, but at my last store visit, the grocer said he would be glad to split the bag up for me :-)

Hey Dr J that is great. If you have too much kale try making the kale chips!

http://nutmegnotebook.com/?p=1561 Kale chips