Quick and Easy Turkey Burgers WWPP 7

Over the weekend I tried a new turkey burger recipe that was super easy and would be perfect for a quick weeknight meal. Of course as usual I couldn’t follow the recipe exactly as written I had to add my own touch.

All ground turkey is not created equal!

Be sure you are buying lean ground turkey. The ground turkey I purchase is by Foster Farms and it says LEAN 93/7 on the package. The nutritional stats for 4 0unces; 160 calories, 8g total fat,22g protein. This comes out to 4 WWPP.

If you buy ground turkey that is not lean it can contain more fat than lean ground beef! One time at Trader Joe’s I bought premade hamburger patties and ground turkey patties and when I got home I discovered that the turkey burgers contained more fat than the lean ground beef patties. Buyer beware!

Have you ever wondered why most recipes using ground turkey call for 1 pound but most ground turkey comes in 1.5 pound packages? What’s up with that?

I increased the ingredients in this recipe to accommodate the 1.5 pound package of ground turkey I had and the bonus is it made 6 burgers so we have some easy heat and eat meals this week. I don’t know about you but we love leftovers in this house. These would be good to make ahead and freeze individually so you may want to double the recipe and have  several meals made ahead.

The recipe called for Cajun seasoning and I had this Creole seasoning in the pantry so after an Internet inquiry I discovered that they are  basically the same thing. The ingredients read ,salt, red pepper, other spices and garlic. Rather vague don’t you think?

The onions were divine, slightly sweet from the teriyaki sauce and the perfect punch of flavor for this burger. I also added a little honey mustard to my burger which went well with the other flavors. Yum!

Quick-and-Easy Turkey Burgers

• 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
  • 3 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons water
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 large onions (cut onions in half, finely dice ½ of one onion, slice the rest of the onions in ¼ inch slices)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
  • 6 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns (whole wheat)
  • Baby greens or leaf lettuce

Combine the first 4 ingredients plus the 1/2 onion finely diced in a large bowl. Divide the turkey mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Combine the teriyaki sauce and water in a small bowl.

Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add the onion slices; cover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki mixture. Remove onion from pan, and keep warm. Add olive oil to pan. Add patties, and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Add remaining teriyaki mixture to pan. Carefully turn patties over, and cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun, and top each patty with 1/4 cup onion, baby greens or lettuce leaf. Top with remaining bun halves.

Note: You can freeze any uncooked turkey patties for up to 1 month. To freeze, separate the patties with wax paper; place them in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag, remove excess air, seal, and freeze. Thaw in the refrigerator.

CALORIES 278 (15% from fat); FAT 4.7g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.3g,poly 1.4g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 60mg; CALCIUM 73mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.9g; SODIUM 949mg; PROTEIN 30g; FIBER 2.4g

Old WWP 5 /  WWPP 7

Adapted from Cooking Light, MAY 2000

Katy is having finals this week for the Fall semester in Spain. They are on such a different schedule! She is very pleased with the professors she has had thus far in Spain. Her language skills have improved greatly in the 4 months she has been there. She was reading a story in Spanish and realized when she was done that she had been enjoying the story and not even thinking about translating what she was reading into English. That is a milestone!

Katy is wrapping up her semester just as David is starting his Spring semester today. SPRING, could it really be getting close? We are having sunshine this week but I know many of you in the Midwest and back East are dealing with frigid temperatures and lots of snow. I wish I could send you some of our sunshine and warmer temperatures.

Blessings,

Do you use ground turkey?

I use ground turkey mostly for burgers and chili. I am not a big fan of ground beef for burgers but I do like it for meatloaf. Go figure!

What are you doing today to better your health?

To better my health today I am going for a walk and I will be eating some Kale!

That’s funny Tami – I am the complete opposite of you in that I’d rather have real ground beef for a burger but prefer meatloaf to be made with chicken or turkey!

YUM! I use the extra lean ground turkey – the 98-99% fat free depending on which you buy & I also buy the fresh ground from my local Sprouts health food market.

I just made a turkey meatloaf last night with my extra lean. I love it cause it makes a few days worth of food. I like to change up my seasonings too. Sometimes I add chili spice or other times salsa & I always add in some sort of honey mustard or hot/sweet mustard that Trader Joe’s finally brought back!!! I like to change it up & love your variation!

We got our nice weather here in southern CA – yahoo!

3. Karen says:

I have used it before and made sure to buy ground breast. Yes, I did notice the strange packaging:( I may have to try these. We’ve been buying chicken burgers at Costco that I really like for lunch and are very low cal but they have a lot of sodium. We have that same seasoning and cajun too. My teen is a big fan of stuff like that.

4. Ann says:

I love turkey. I really like turkey burgers and I should make them more. I’ve become worried about, “other spices”. I got the laughing cow light queso flavor and I’m sure it had horseradish although it wasn’t listed, since I had a reaction. I had another one to a sauce in Florida. So…I’ll be careful although I’ve used that Tony’s spice before. For today I just tried to eat right and I did my exercise. Nothing new or exciting.

5. leslie says:

These sound good. Like you, I always doctor recipes with whatever the spirit moves me to – I’ve made turkey burgers often and they are never the same twice because I always change up the add ins! This sounds good, so maybe I’ll use a recipe for once!

The burgers sound good! Love the seasoning!

Glad Katy is having a good time in Spain! Becoming more fluent in another language without really realizing it is so great! :) My son started his Spring semester today as well.

7. Leslie says:

I am going to try this recipe–I’ve tried a few before and they’ve always been dry and tasteless, but I know this one will not be!

I learned the hard way about turkey burgers not necessarily being healthier than others–I ate one at the hospital cafeteria for months until I finally asked for the nutritional info and found out it was a heart attack on a bun.

8. fittingbackin says:

I use ground turkey sometimes! I’m not a HUGE fan if it’s solo – but I LOVE it in a slowcooker or with taco seasoning – it’s like it masks the turkiness if that makes sense!

9. The Candid RD says:

I think you brought up a very important point. Just because it’s TURKEY doesn’t mean it’s healthier!! There are some really bad ground turkeys out there, so yes, buyer beware! I do love it though, and turkey burgers are a staple in our household. I also like to make ground turkey tacos.

Looks like another winner Tami! I’ll be making this one for sure.

I’m the only one who will eat ground turkey at my house! I made a meat sauce last week and it was pretty good. Froze it in single serving size for me.I buy a frozen turkey burger, Greek flavored for 3 P+…delicious!

To better my health today?….making a big pot of homemade chicken soup to ease my cold symptoms! Other than that I am following PointsPlus and enjoying the results!