Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis Weight Watchers PointsPlus 7

I like ground turkey for many recipes but when it comes to meatloaf I prefer ground beef. I also like to make individual meat loaves, they cook quicker have built in portion control and I like the way they look. So when I saw this new mini meat loaf recipe in the current Cooking Light magazine I had to try it.

The addition of cheese is a nice touch and the end result reminded me of a cheeseburger sans the bun! The guys liked them too and said this recipe could go on the regular menu rotation. Score one for the cook!

There are a couple extra steps with this recipe, like making fresh bread crumbs. Using whole wheat bread, tear it into pieces and give it a whirl in your food processor to process it into fine crumbs. Then the crumbs are toasted in a skillet. It adds a nice flavor to the bread crumbs making them a little nutty and crunchy.

It is just me, or do you see a heart amid the ketchup on the top of this meat loaf? How perfect is that for February! The recipe called for horseradish but I didn’t have any and I don’t think we missed it, the meat loaves had plenty of flavor.

Oven roasted asparagus and some creamy polenta rounded out this meal and provided a little color.

The only problem with this recipe is that it calls for 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and now I have half a pound left to do something creative with. I will let you know what I come up.

Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis

• 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 1 ounce of whole wheat bread whirled in the food processor to make fine crumbs)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
  • 3 ounces white cheddar cheese, diced ( I used shredded regular cheddar)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish (I didn’t have any)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.

3. While breadcrumbs cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, and remaining ingredients. Shape into 6 (4 x 2-inch) loaves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; spread 2 teaspoons ketchup over each. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until done.  Extras would freeze well for future meals.

Yield: 6 Servings

CALORIES 256 ; FAT 11.6g (sat 5.7g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.9g); CHOLESTEROL 112mg; CALCIUM 159mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.2g; SODIUM 620mg; PROTEIN 28.5g; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 2.6mg

Old WWP 6 / New WWPP 7

Adapted from Cooking Light, JANUARY 2011

Post updated 3/25/11

We have a lot of family favorite recipes that we enjoy on a regular basis. Even so I still like to try new recipes, you never know,there might be an amazing recipe that will become a new favorite! The variety in my food choices each week helps me keep eating healthy and not getting bored. A few treats thrown in here and there also keeps me from going off the deep end and diving head first into a bag of cookies!

Sunday I baked my favorite Buttermilk Lemon cupcakes to take to a dinner party. They are a huge hit with my friends and lucky for me they are only 4 points on the new Weight Watchers PointsPlus program. The recipe makes 18 cupcakes, well I actually get 20! I took one dozen to the dinner and didn’t bring any home. I sent a plate of them to the office with hubby and saved 3 back for us for dessert last night.

If I allow myself to have something like that now and then I feel satisfied. It fits into my plan of eating healthy, nutritious food 80 – 90% of the time. I am not going to swear off sweets, white flour and sugar completely. For me that wouldn’t be realistic. I don’t eat the white stuff every day but I don’t feel bad having it once in a while. I have found for me that if I eat a sweet after having eaten a healthy balanced meal it has less of an impact on my blood sugar and I am less likely to have cravings for more.

Eating a balanced diet and enjoying my food.

How do you balance eating healthy and having treats?

Do you allow yourself to eat sugary sweets or higher fat foods occasionally?

Does it work for you to have just a little or does that set you off to over indulge?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I am so with you Tami! I absolutely refuse to remove foods from my eating plan that I know I love. I’d much rather learn how to enjoy them on occasion. While I might eat a scoop of slow churned ice cream if I’m craving something a bit sweet during the week, I save the full fat, full flavor sugary things to have as a treat. And you know by doing that, they really do feel like a treat and taste divine!

Helen I love your philosophy towards eating.You are so right that if you save the full fat,full sugar items for real treats you enjoy them so much more.

2. Karen says:

I have a great meatloaf recipe from my old ww days, but my boys won’t eat it so I haven’t made it in so long I can’t even remember. I learned to make minis from my MIL. My mom never once made meatloaf when I was growing up.

Hang in there Karen, one day your boys taste in food might change! My son’s tastes finally have changed and he eats most things I make now. Still won’t eat most fish but we have come a long way over the years.

Not a meatloaf fan, which is kind of crazy since I like all the ingredients in it. Oh well…

I definitely allow room for indulgences. I couldn’t have made it this far without them! That said, I try to limit the indulgences to those made with real food, at least. I’ll either make it myself (not likely, except at Christmas) or go to one of the local bakeries that fit the bill.

Real food tastes better! I agree with you if I want a treat I want it to be good quality! You do love your cupcakes!

Love meatloaf and Syd loves when I surprise her with her favorite meal! Want to try your recipe…very soon! Very Points+ friendly too!

I allow myself to still have favorite treats but make sure the portion is smaller.I have quit baking with Splenda so I use real ingredients, only less of them.
    I just baked a pan of brownies for the guys and a smaller pan of sixteen 2″ low fat brownies{4 PP each} for me.I will keep a couple in the fridge, the rest get frozen.
    Homemade bread will make me over eat but not the sweets!

I didn’t know you had given up baking with Splenda Carol. Good for you. I feel so much better since I gave up artificial sweeteners.

I am with Syd, I love a good meatloaf.

Tami…I just gave up Splenda when the new WW program started.I just didn’t feel right while I was using it. Too much and I would get a buzzy feeling in my head and a bit shaky. I really don’t bake all that much anymore…for me that is!

5. fittingbackin says:

This is cute! I love how the asparagus makes a divider – pretty and colorful!

I have treats sometimes – but some things I rarely allow myself to have because I can’t control myself (e.g., movie theater popcorn, french fries and reese’s cups.)

Did you ever have a weight problem? You are so tiny and cute!

I gave up movie theater popcorn after I found out how high calorie and high fat it was.

Great dinner! I haven’t made meatloaf in a long time, and I really like the individual ones.

I am at a place now where I allow treats without feeling guilty. Like you, I try to eat healthy the majority of the time, but if I don’t eat any treats once in a while, I tend to feel deprived eventually.

I have to agree with what you said, “if I don’t eat any treats once in a while, I tend to feel deprived eventually.”

I learned that the hard way so now I have my treat without guilt and it all balances out.

7. Meg says:

HAS BECOME A GO TO MEAL! I’ve never done weight watchers myself but a friend of mine who did made this meatloaf one night when i was over. I asked for the recipe and I’ve been making it as a go to meal for family and friends the last 2 years. Everyone whos had it compliments my cooking and most have asked for the recipe. 5 stars!!