Cheesy Quinoa Burgers / Weight Watchers PointsPlus 3

There was a little cooking marathon going on in my kitchen over the weekend. I decided I do some bulk cooking and freeze some precooked easy meal options. Karen from Waisting Time shared the link with me for the quinoa burgers that her and her husband enjoy. Have you been to Karen’s blog? I love her writing as she shares her thoughts, trials and triumphs about her weight management. Thanks for passing along a wonderful recipe Karen.

Getting back to business, I shared the quinoa burger recipe with my daughter Katy who reported back to me that I needed to make myself a batch as she loved this vegetarian burger.

You can see the original recipe for quinoa burgers here. It is from the Eating Well…Living Thin blog that you should take a look at, the food photography is a feast for the eyes! Of course I had to tweak the recipe to my taste and after talking to Katy this morning and finding out how she changed the recipe, there are a couple more minor tweaks noted for the next batch. These are a cheesy combination of shredded cheese and part skim ricotta or you can also use cottage cheese in place of ricotta. These patties have lots of possible combinations, change up the grain, cheese and seasonings to suit your personal preference or what you have in the pantry.

Linda the author of this recipe said that you can use rice in place of quinoa to make these burgers. Great idea! If you would like to know more about quinoa check out a post I did about quinoa and the recipe for hot apple quinoa. (Just click on any of the blue highlighted words to be taken to the page.)

Enjoy the cheesy quinoa burgers sans a bun with a big salad and your favorite condiments or snuggle one patty inside your favorite whole grain bun for a satisfying burger. Add all your favorite typical burger toppings and enjoy this guiltless pleasure. Try making your burgers to fit your bun. I used a 1/3 cup measure and then flattened each patty slightly to be the right size for these whole wheat buns. At just 3 WWPP each, you could have a double!

Slightly crispy on the outside, moist and cheesy inside with a mild onion flavor and the warm goodness from the cumin.

Cheesy Quinoa Burgers

• 1 cup quinoa (or rice)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, low fat
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk or low fat cottage cheese
  • 1 cup carrots, finely chopped in the food processor
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
  • 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
  • 2 whole green onions, including white parts, sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  1. In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat.  Add quinoa and reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender.  Allow to cool for a few minutes.
  2. In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, chopped onion, pepper, cumin, and garlic salt.
  3. Heat a frying pan coated with non stick olive oil spray, over medium heat.  Measure 1/3 cup and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick  – mixture will be slightly sticky. Use the 1/3 cup measure and turn the mixture right out into the skillet, then using the bottom of the measure cup flatten the patty to just the right size to fit the buns. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side.   Makes 12 burgers.

Serves: 12

Serving Size: 1 patty

Per Serving: 113 Calories; 4g Fat ; 6g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 256mg Sodium.  WWPP 3

Notes: Next time I would follow Katy’s suggestion of finely chopping one small onion and saute it with the finely chopped carrot, tossing in a couple chopped garlic cloves too. Once the mixture is soft, proceed with the rest of the recipe. Add more cumin and a 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.

Recipe Adapted from Eating Well…Living Well Blog

NUTMEG NOTES

My other culinary delights were a batch of falafel burgers. I just can’t get enough of them and at only 3 WWPP each they are a nutritional bargain! The falafel burgers and cheesy quinoa burgers were all wrapped individually and frozen. They can easily be reheated in the microwave oven making for quick healthy meals!

After reading the comments about what you are eating for breakfast, half a dozen eggs got boiled and put in the refrigerator to be eaten as needed through out the week. They are easy to peel, slice and warm gently in the microwave to have on toast or leave cold and dice them to toss in a salad.

A double batch of homemade almond cherry granola filled the kitchen with the most appealing aroma of cinnamon, almonds, coconut and toasty oats. It drew in the guys and they became self appointed taste testers! One batch of granola was for me and the other batch was put in a cute container and given as a thank you gift to my friend Carrie. She knitted me an adorable pair of slippers to keep my tootsies warm. Her timing was perfect as I woke up this morning feeling like a cold is coming on. I decided to put my planned day of errands on hold. Instead of my usual jeans I went for a warm comfortable knit exercise outfit (with no exercise intended) and my new slippers. Thanks Carrie!

Hubby Tom thinks he is also coming down with a cold. We almost made it through the cold/flu season unscathed! We have the itchy, scratchy throat thing happening. It is going to be a soup and hot tea kind of day. Thank goodness I did some bulk cooking over the weekend to make life easier this week.

Taking it easy.

Do you cook things ahead or do you take it a day at a time?

What’s your favorite cold remedy?

4 pings

1. Dawn Hutchins says:

These look fabulous! I love quinoa and I always mark veggie burgers to make but rarely end up making them.

I tend to do both. I cook ahead for lunches for the week and then tend to cook dinners at night if I can.

Cold remedy would be apple cider vinegar and honey in hot water. My nana’s recipe and the best thing ever!

2. Karen says:

Glad you liked them. Thanks for the kind words:) Ours never made it to the freezer; great idea! I will often make enough dinner to have some leftovers for lunch for myself. And I have a few healthy recipes that I like to freeze in small portions. Mostly though, I have a hard time just getting through a day’s dinner planning! Hate that. When I am feeling a cold coming I still go with Airborne even though I read it doesn’t really work. And Zicam. Knock all over wood I have not been sick in ages and my teen was home from school two days last week. I broke out the lysol wipes and was washing door knobs and remotes!

3. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I’m a big fan of meat-free burgers so I’m definitely salivating over these! What a great idea to make a huge batch and freeze them. So much cheaper (and tastier) than the frozen stuff.

Hope you and your husband get better soon! This winter’s been a tough one for our family. We normally don’t get sick, but it’s been a never ending cycle of sicknesses this past winter. :(

4. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

I actually printed out the recipe from Eating Well, Living Thin a while back! I keep looking at it but haven’t yet made them! Now after seeing yours, I will give your recipe a try! They sound amazing, Tami!

5. fittingbackin says:

OH wow – this is really interesting! I never thought to turn it into a patty but it really sounds great!!

Oh, I hope you and hubby aren’t getting ill!

I pre-cook as much as possible. Life is just easier that way. :)

These burgers look great Tami! I have both the regular and the red quinoa. The falafel burgers look mighty yummy too!

Hope you & your hubby aren’t getting that nasty cold! Feel better soon!

8. tj says:

Those look delicious!! YUM! :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

9. Lisa T says:

I love quinoa and those burgers look delicious, as do the falafels. I was a vegetarian for over 20 years (pregnancy made me want to eat animal protein again) but I still make several meat-free meals each week. Can’t wait to try these.

For me, menu planning with easy to prepare options really makes a huge difference in terms of staying on track with my healthy eating goals. I used to just figure out what was for dinner when I got home from work. Now that I have kids? That doesn’t really work because I need to know that I can have a healthy balanced meal on the table at a specific time. So I make a plan each week, shop for the specific ingredients needed for each meal and then the list of meals/recipes is like a menu from which I choose when I get home each evening.

We recently bought a small chest freezer and one of my New Year’s resolutions is to make at least 12 make ahead meals this year that I can freeze for easy weeknight dinners. I’ve done one of the 12 so far. February kinda got away from me, but I bet I can do both the quinoa and falafel burgers this coming weekend and not only catch up on my goal but also have some yummy meals for the family!

Your soup and tea strategy is the same one I use when the scratchy throat, stuffy nose symptoms appear in our lives. I hope you and hubby Tom feel better soon.

I do the bulk of my cooking on the weekend, and then sometimes the night before or morning of if I am using the crock pot – saves so much time :D

I tried to get my husband to eat quinoa meatballs once – id didn’t go so well!

I should cook ahead more, but I haven’t much lately. But I am keeping weeknights dinners super simple. The quinoa burgers sound wonderful. They are going on my “make list!”

12. Roz says:

In a word, wow….those quinoa burgers look soooo good. I’ve bookmarked this recipe – yum. Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful week Tami.

13. Lori says:

These look delicious!

14. megi says:

I love trying anything with quinoa, I am bookmarking this recipe to try it this week.

For hard boiled eggs, I boil and peel them, line the bottom of a plastic container with a paper towel and place the eggs, cover with another slightly damp paper towel and that way they are ready to go.

There are lots of recipes I am looking forward to trying from your blog, the granola looks SO good.

Hi Megi and welcome to Nutmeg Notebook! The quinoa burgers are delicious. I just can’t say enough good things about the granola! Seriously it is the best recipe for granola I have ever tried. I will never buy granola again. It is so adaptable too. Please come back and let me know if you try any of the recipes. I love getting feed back!

Have a wonderful week.

1. Celebrating Food And Recipes — Loser For Life says:

[...] I got to work in the kitchen again for another blogger inspired meal!  Tami posted about these Cheesy Quinoa Burgers and I couldn’t wait to make them!  I followed her version of the recipe and they were [...]

2. BSI + Burgers — Loser For Life says:

[...] was another yummy reheat – Cheesy Quinoa Burgers along with mixed greens topped with light ranch (7 [...]

3. A Good Day — Loser For Life says:

[...] was Cheesy Quinoa Burgers with a side salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, croutons, olive oil and balsamic ( 8 [...]

4. You Need to Eat Quinoa: 6 Great, Healthy Recipes from Weight Watchers Online! says:

[…] Quinoa cheeseburgers – PointsPlus 3 […]