Nutty Harvest Grain Pancakes Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2

It’s a blustery day here in Northern California so we needed a hot breakfast this morning. I dug out this old favorite recipe for hearty pancakes made with real ingredients like oats, whole wheat flour, buttermilk, eggs and walnuts. Not only are they packed with nutty flavor but they are filling too!

I found this recipe in 2007 and I have adapted it from the original recipe that was suppose to be a makeover of the IHop Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes. I don’t know how they compare to the restaurant version as I have never had IHops. My family thinks these are the best pancakes ever! I braved the wind and rain to capture this photo in natural light!

This recipe makes a dozen so go ahead and individually wrap some and place them in the freezer for a quick breakfast later in the week. My guys like their pancakes with a little bit of butter and maple syrup, I prefer to top mine with warmed applesauce. M-m-m delicious!

Nutty Harvest Grain Pancakes

• 3/4 cup oats, rolled (raw), quick cooking
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, low fat *
  • 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg whites, whole
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped

1.        Combine the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside. In another bowl combine all of the wet ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk.

2.        Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and and mix well.

3.        Over a burner on medium, spray a nonstick skillet with vegetable oil spray, using a 1/3 cup measure cup pour out batter into prepared pan, cooking about 2 minutes or until bubbles form and the pancake starts to look dry around the edges, turn and cook another 2 minutes or until pancake is cooked through.

4.        Repeat with all pancake batter.

5.        Serve with your favorite pancake syrup, berries or my favorite, warm applesauce.

* If you don’t have buttermilk on hand use this substitute, add 1 tablespoon vinegar to each 1 cup of low-fat or nonfat milk, stir and let sit for a minute. I keep the Sacco buttermilk blend powder in my refrigerator to use for baking. It works great!

Yield: 12 pancakes   Serving Size: 1 pancake

Per Serving: 83 Calories; 2g Fat (22.9% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 293mg Sodium

Old WWP 2 / New WWPP 2

Recipe adapted from A Dietitians View October 2005

NUTMEG NOTES

I struggle to think of what to eat for breakfast. I never skip it as I know how important it is to refuel my body in the morning. I do like hot oatmeal in the winter made with pumpkin and some dried fruit. Most often I make a yogurt bowl using 1 cup of fat free Greek yogurt with fruit sprinkled with a couple tablespoons of my homemade granola.

Sometimes I have whole grain toast with laughing cow light cheese and when the weather is warmer I make green smoothies or protein fruit smoothies. I have been known to eat a half sandwich with a little lean pastrami and laughing cow light cheese on a whole grain bread for breakfast. I had never thought of doing that until we traveled in Europe and they would have meat, cheese and bread out on the morning buffets.

This pancake recipe makes the only pancakes I like. I much prefer lunch and dinner foods over typical breakfast foods.

Eat well, feel well.

What do you eat for breakfast?

1. Karen says:

I have always been a breakfast eater. For years I ate healthy cereals. When I started a lower carb lifestyle I looked for an alternative with more protein. Even the high fiber cereals never seemed to have much staying power. For about a year now I have been on my kick of beans for breakfast. Great combo of carbs, protein and fiber. earlier sets me up

One of these with maple syrup & an egg would be soooo good! Thanks for another great recipe Tami!

Forgot to add…my breakfasts change almost daily…some days a slice of Sprouted Grain flax toast with peanut butter, or one of my overnight oatmeal pancakes w/Canadian bacon, or soft boiled eggs & toast or oatmeal.Fruit is added where needed. I love breakfast & never miss it!

That is some nice variety for breakfast Carol. Great idea, thanks for sharing them with me.

Yes that would be good Carol and for just 4 points!

I haven’t eaten breakfast in as long as I can remember! (I eat warrior style 20/4) Maybe I need to have some pancakes for dinner sometime. Maybe…

What? No breakfast? What does eating warrior style 20/4 mean?

4. mary says:

Tami, these look delicious. I ALWAYS (I am so boring) have either oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts or a hard boiled egg with hummus and a side of fruit. I think I will try these so I can rotate in something a bit different. I find I do better when I consistently have the same meals so if I like them it would make sense to make a batch, freeze them up and mix my breakfasts up a bit! Thanks…I always seem to stop by here at the best times!

Hi Mary! So good to see your comment. I was just thinking about you the other day. Boiled eggs, sound good. I haven’t had those for a while. I never thought to eat hummus for breakfast but I love it so why not? Let me know if you try the pancakes.

I eat two breakfasts, usually. Fruit & yogurt early, then oatmeal or an egg or a half sandwich later in the morning. I’ve been known to eat tuna for breakfast, especially if I’m on the go and need something in a hurry. :)

VERY EASY but I still don’t have all the ingredients.. :-) I do want to try this though after I get buttermilk!!! I think I would want to add protein powder for me as I like a bit more protein – would I cut back on the flour? YUM & your pics look amazing as usual!

Hi Jody. I guess if you were going to add protein powder just a scoop or two might not make much difference but if you think it is too thick just add a little more buttermilk to think it. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Your pancakes turned out good too! Love that they are 2 points, but pretty sure yours have more nutrition than mine!

I usually freeze the pancakes, then put them in my office’s toaster on the bagel setting – they taste just as if they are freshly made that way!

Enjoy your weekend!

8. Judi says:

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful recipes. We like to have breakfast for dinner on occasion, so this is on the menu for tonight! I have all the ingredients, plus some blueberries, so I’ll add those. I, too keep the powdered buttermilk on hand. Last week I made your Homemade Granola (almond and craisins). Oh so good. I sprinkled some on top of my homemade chunky applesauce and it tasted just like apple crisp! Thank you again!!

Judi thank you for letting me know you tried the granola and like it! I made myself a big batch of it recently too. Great idea to sprinkle it over applesauce.
      We like to have breakfast for dinner sometimes too! When my kids were little they loved it when I would make pancakes for dinner.
      Enjoy your weekend.

9. Nancy says:

Thanks for sharing .. These look delicious .. can’t wait to try!

Hi Nancy and welcome to Nutmeg Notebook! Come back and let me know if you try the pancakes.

Have a wonderful weekend.

10. lisa says:

what great looking recipes. I am marking this for my hubby to look at. He wants to loose a few pounds and was looking at weight watchers. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Lisa and welcome to Nutmeg Notebook. Weight Watchers is such a sensible plan for losing weight.

I have found that some of the portion sizes for the lighter recipes are a little small for my hubby and he sometimes has to have a serving and a half to fill him up. Of course I try to fix us a big salad to go with our dinner meal and that helps round it all out. Just wanted to give you a heads up that sometimes the guys might need a bigger serving.

I hope you are having a pleasant day!

11. Roz says:

Those pancakes look sooooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Only 2 points each??? YUM. Have a great Sunday Tami.

Thanks Roz! Yes, I know just 2 points a piece and they are very filling not to mention tasty!

Hope you are having a good weekend. They go by so fast!

That recipe looks delicious! Definitely one I need to try as I love pancakes. I tend to rotate the same few breakfasts over and over and I’m really not even that adventurous with lunch. It’s hard when you have to carry it all to work every day. On the other hand, I could probably tell you the nutrition facts on just about every food I eat for those two meals, I eat the same things so much!

Helen having to tote everything to work with you does create more challenges and certainly limits your options. Even though I am at home during the day I seem to go for the same few things for lunch as well. Part of it is habit I guess and the fact that I don’t want to spend a great deal of time on making lunch so I opt for something simple!

13. Dawn Hutchins says:

I love pancakes but never seem to get around to making them. On the weekends I have been poaching eggs and during the week I always seem to go back to my Barbara’s shredded wheat. Maybe this weekend I can try out the pancakes!

I’m not a “pancake person” but the other day I made some banana pancakes I really liked. Your recipe sounds good!

I usually eat oatmeal with non-fat Greek yogurt and walnuts for breakfast. Sometimes I flavor some leftover brown rice with a little soy sauce, spicy red pepper sauce, ketchup, rice vinegar, and sesame oil and top the rice with two over-easy eggs. In the summer, my favorite breakfast is sprouted grain toast with avocado and tomato slices.