Open Faced Canadian Bacon & Gruyere Cheese Omelet Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5

In an effort to add variety to my breakfast menu this morning I tried a new cooking method for making an omelet. Instead of folding it over you leave it open, add your toppings, put a lid on the pan and let the egg set and the cheese melt! Perfection!

Today’s omelet was a combination of Canadian Bacon, Gruyere cheese and kale. Salt, freshly ground black pepper and freshly ground nutmeg was all it needed for seasoning. This powerhouse breakfast boasts 20 grams of protein and all for only 5 Weight Watcher PointsPlus! Add some fresh fruit and whole grain toast and you won’t be hungry again for hours!

Here is a tip on how to make a small amount of cheese go further, finely shred or grate it. It makes a small amount of cheese seem like so much more and when finely shredded it will cover more surface area. It also melts incredibly well this way. I like Gruyere cheese, it is similar to Swiss but Gruyere is a semi soft cheese, creamy, slightly nutty in flavor. The mild flavor won’t overwhelm the other flavors it’s paired with and it melts really well. Use it in pasta dishes, quiches, fondue and soups.

Open Faced Canadian Bacon & Gruyere Cheese Omelet

• 1                     egg
  • 1                     egg white, whole
  • 1              ounce  Canadian bacon — diced
  • 1/2         ounce  Gruyere cheese — shredded, finely (or cheddar, Gouda, your pick)
  • 1/4           cup  kale — chopped (spinach would work too)
  • 1/8      teaspoon  nutmeg — freshly ground
  • salt and pepper — to taste

Heat an 8 inch non stick skillet over low heat.

Beat egg and egg white in a small bowl with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

A couple minutes before cooking egg mixture increase temperature of skillet to medium – high.

Meanwhile shred cheese, dice Canadian bacon and chop kale.

Spray skillet with non stick cooking spray, add egg mixture to pan.

Using a plastic or wooden spatula push back eggs that have set, tilt pan so uncooked eggs run into empty portion of skillet. Continue pushing back cooked eggs and tilting pan until omelet top is wet but not runny.

Turn heat to low and sprinkle chopped kale, diced Canadian Bacon and shredded cheese evenly over omelet. Cover pan and cook until cheese melts and kale wilts, about 2 minutes.

Slide out of pan onto a warm plate.

Yield: 1 Serving

Per Serving: 204 Calories; 12g Fat (52.9% calories from fat); 20g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 242mg Cholesterol; 579mg Sodium.

Old WWP 5  /  New WWPP 5

Recipe inspired from The Perfect Recipe For Losing Weight & Eating Great

I tried a couple more of the Weight Watchers Fresh Meals. Since I was still recovering from being sick over the weekend these quick, heat and eat meals came in handy! The Baked Ziti was really cheesy with ricotta cheese mixed in with the marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese melted on top! It was flavorful but not my favorite entree. A salad of baby greens rounded out my meal and I was satisfied. I wouldn’t buy this one but then I also don’t make baked ziti so it was a matter of personal taste not the entree itself.

The Three Cheese Ravioli was a standout for me! This one is delicious, it was a generous serving size too. I thought it tasted as good as any of the fresh raviolis that I have purchased at the grocery store and cooked at home. The marinara sauce was flavorful and it was topped with melty mozzarella cheese. I had a salad and a whole grain dinner roll with this and was quite satisfied. I would buy this WW meal!

NUTMEG NOTES

We are feeling better! Hooray! Our friends who have had this cold / flu virus told us it takes about 3 weeks to get completely over it. Well I am at 2 weeks today.

Last week I read an interesting post by DR J, titled, 10 Reasons That You May Need Professional Help In Solving Your Weight Loss Problems it was a really good read and if you click on the title it will take you to his post. He writes some really informative posts over there and he is a tell it like it is kind of guy, getting right to the point!

I participated in this weeks BSI – Bloggers Secret Ingredient. Each week a new host chooses the secret ingredient and participants send her their recipe or a link to the recipe on their blog. The host posts the recipes and chooses one as her favorite and awards that person a prize!

This weeks BSI was hosted by Marisa of Loser For Life you can see all of the recipes in this weeks entry here. The secret ingredient was prosciutto. You will have to check out Marisa’s post to see my recipe. I didn’t win but it was fun to play! Thanks for hosting Marisa.

I had no problem adjusting to the time change. I think moving the clocks forward is so much easier to adjust to than moving the clocks back an hour. I like having the extra daylight in the evening! Now we just need some sunshine so we can enjoy it!

This week my goal is to exercise 3 times (gradually get back in the groove) and eat healthier meals!

Do you like Daylight Savings Time?

What are you doing this week to better your health?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Karen says:

I think the time change this way is easier too. But, I am a morning person so up early already. I suspect my teen would say this is much harder!

2. Dawn Hutchins says:

Great idea for an open faced omelet Tami…it sort of looks like a pizza. I like the review of the ravioli. I actually might consider buying it if I was having a hankering.
    As for bettering my health this week I’m trying to really focus on when I’m full rather than just eating everything on my plate or eatintg when I’m bored.

3. Jan says:

The omelete is PERFECT for my no sugar/starch/grain way of eating that I have embraced. Plus, I am a horrid omelet turner. 🙂 I plan to buy the ingredients tonight and try this out! Thanks.

Since I use eTools to do my points tracker, I discovered that 3/4 an ounce of cheese is the same points as 1/2 an ounce – 2 points!

It doesn’t jump to three points until you hit an ounce. And you know I am a cheese whore! 😀

Biz that is awesome information about the cheese, thanks for sharing that tip!

5. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

I love making open-faced omelets! So much easier than trying to flip that sucker! I always make a huge mess!

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but that WW ravioli meal looks GOOD! <— Don't tell my Gram I said that 😉

Thank you for submitting your delicious recipe to BSI this week! It was so hard to choose a winner… I hate doing that when everyone's recipe looks so good!!!! 🙁

Marisa, don’t tell Grams but it tasted really good!

Awesome breakfast! Finely grating cheese makes a small amount seem like sooo much more!

Glad you enjoyed your WW meals!

I saw your BSI entry. It looked great. I always want to participate in the BSI, but things always come up. I’m determined to participate soon!

Glad you are feeling better! Hope you’ll be 100% soon!

I’m so glad you’re feeling better!

I love the time change, but it does get my schedule out of sorts for a bit. I’m one of those people whose internal clock is affected by daylight, and having it for longer waking periods pushes my meals and bedtime back. Rough for a morning person. 🙂

8. Judi says:

Hi, Tami! Love your idea for the omelet. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve never tried kale. Guess it’s on the shopping list this week!
    The only thing about the time change I don’t like is changing all the clocks…I didn’t realize how many we have until time to change them all!
    Glad you’re feeling better. That crud is going around here too, but thankfully it hasn’t hit our house (knock on wood).

Nice looking recipe Tami! I’m another one who has never tried Kale.I love grating Asiago cheese…such nice flavor for such a little bit!

For some reason with the time change I am sleeping in…never happened to me before! Guess I’m getting older!:)

This week, to better my health I am going to start my walking again..all the ice & snow are gone! Still doing well on the new PointsPlus!

Enjoy your walks again Carol! I had hopes of walks this week but this rain is getting in my way!

10. Roz says:

Love the idea of an open faced omlette! SO glad you are on the mend, folks here are dropping like flies and it’s nasty. Take care.

I had to laugh at your comment “people are dropping like flies!” Sad but true! I hope you and your family don’t get sick.

Thanks Tami!!

The Weight Watchers corporation would do well to hire you to design and present their food items!

12. Kristi Rimkus says:

Great tip for finely shredding cheese. I’ll be doing that from now on. I like the presentation of this omelette better, don’t you?

Kristi

I do think they look better as opened face!

13. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

I also like guyere cheese…so expensive though! there is one place near me, that I can get it cheaper though…I LOVE it in mac and cheese, and it is a natural with eggs..you are so right! the open faced omelet looks wonderful and I bet it tasted even better!!

come and play BSI this week too! I am hosting!

Thanks for the invite to this weeks BSI. If time allows I will participate. I am busy doing a bunch of work behind the scenes to upgrade my blog and it is taking a long time! Have a lovely day!