Chewy Pecan Bars

If you have followed my blog for very long you know that I believe in eating healthy 80% of the time and allowing a little room for sweet treats now and then. If I am going to indulge I want it to be something incredible and worthy of those extra calories.These pecan bars fit all of those requirements!

Over 20 years ago when we lived in Iowa our friend and neighbor Kay made these for a 4th of July get together and I had to have the recipe! They are like little squares of pecan pie but even better because they aren’t overly sweet. Rich with pecans, nuts and coconut makes every morsel a decadent indulgence.

Last summer I took a tray of these to a picnic and when it came time to leave people were scooping up the last of these bars to eat just one more and asking me for the recipe! I am posting it today for those of you who are looking for something special to make for your Easter gathering. These are best made when you can share them with others and not end up having any left to tempt you – trust me when I tell you they will all be gone in no time flat!

Chewy Pecan Bars

1st layer

• 1 cup Sifted Flour
  • ½ cup packed brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix flour with brown sugar, cut in butter using a pastry blender. Press into a 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.

2nd layer

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  1. Beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
  2. In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt, stir with a wire whisk, mix into egg mixture, stir until combined, and add pecans and coconut. Pour over crust and continue to bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
  3. Allow to cool completely before cutting into 32 squares.

These are very rich so a little is all you need!

Cut into 32 pieces, Per Serving: 119 Calories; 6g Fat (47.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 68mg Sodium.   Old WWP 3 / New WWPP 3

Cut into 24 pieces  Per Serving: 159 Calories; 9g Fat (47.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium.   Old WWP 4 / New WWPP 5

Kay if you are reading this – thank you for this awesome recipe! I still think of you every time I make these.

Edited to say; I pushed publish too quickly! I wanted to point out that I posted my favorite pork roast recipe, lemon bar recipe and potato casserole in the feature post section at the top of this page. They would all be awesome dishes to make for Easter!

After I get this post up I am taking a little time off from blog work! I need a change of pace. Lunch out with a friend and my first trip to Sprouts is on my agenda today. I’ll let you know what I find at Sprouts!

My favorite guilty pleasures historically have included chocolate but in recent months my taste buds seem to be changing and I seem to gravitate towards lemon type desserts.

What is your favorite guilty (or not guilty) food pleasure?

1. Ellen says:

Tami, I love the new layout of your blog! I knew that something was up when I stopped by and it wouldn’t load. So organized!
    Heading off to peruse the rest of the site right now.
    Oh, and lemon seems to be my thing lately, too. Don’t know why either, because I’ve never been a huge lemon fan. Those lemon squares would be perfect for Easter because my whole family loves lemon – thank you :)

These are right up my alley – I will definitely be giving them a try!

Hope you love them as much as we do Helen!

3. Dawn Hutchins says:

Your new blog looks gorgeous! I just know I would love these bars but I wonder if I could sub coconut oil and honey?

Dawn I think the coconut oil or coconut butter would work in place of the butter.

I would replace the brown sugar with Sucanat because I think honey would make things too wet and the molasses in the brown sugar adds a richness that honey wouldn’t replace. Sucanat has some of that rich molasses flavor like base to it,so I think it would work.

4. tj says:

WOW! The site looks WONDERFUL! I was glad to see you kept the header picture since I love it! :)

This recipe looks SO GOOD but I doubt I will make it since it looks like something that I would eat all day. lol Maybe for a treat to take to a party…humm now thats an idea!

Thank you TJ! I love the header as well and just couldn’t give it up. This is one of those recipes to make when you have plenty of helpers to eat it! LOL! :)

I love special recipes from friends. The bars sound wonderful!

I hope you are enjoying your time away from the computer! I have a Sprouts not too far away that I’ve been wanting to check out for a while now. Let us know how you like it.

Are you back home Andrea? Your hubby did a good job with the blog in your absence.

I will do a Sprouts review!

6. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

wow..these look wonderful! I do like pecan pie too!

My fav indulgence?…IDK…depends on my mood, I think! Have a wonderful holiday and weekend Tami!

7. Roz says:

These look amazing, thanks for sharing the recipe Tami.
    I HATE to admit what my guilty food pleasure is. I RARELY have it, because its so bad for me…..but its Stove Top Stuffing. I could eat a whole box in one sitting. I don’t…but I could! Have a great day.

Love the looks of these! I may save this recipe for Christmas…although I do have 2 pounds of pecans being shipped to me as I write this. Hmmm… :)

With CupcakeCamp going on around my house this weekend, I’m trying really hard not to think about indulgences. :)

“Cupcake Camp” sounds like fun!