Easy Quick Microwave Polenta

What was once considered a simple peasant food, polenta which is made from ground cornmeal, has gained popularity as a gourmet food. You have probably seen it on menus of many upscale restaurants. The traditional cooking method requires slow cooking cornmeal and water on the stove top while constantly stirring. Stir- ins like butter or a little parmesan cheese add a nice touch of flavor. Now with the availability of quick cooking polenta it can be ready in as little as 8-12 minutes!

The end product is a smooth and creamy side dish.

This is my favorite brand of quick cooking polenta and it can be found at a regular grocery store or Whole Foods.

It has several different cooking methods right on the back of the package. I opt for the easy and quick microwave oven method. It frees me up to attend to other aspects of the meal and the results are perfect!

Low calorie, and low fat however; it’s not a whole grain! You know I love to get in whole grains wherever I can but I do use this quick cooking polenta when I am craving it’s creamy goodness and don’t want to take the time to stand at the stove and stir, stir, stir! We all have our cheats right? I will do another post and talk about whole grain cornmeal.

We like it as a side dish. You can mix in sauteed veggies, top it with your favorite pasta sauce, stir in a little butter or cheese. You choose! Pour it into a loaf pan and let it set up, then slice it and brown each side in a skillet, top with fried eggs and crumbled bacon for a gourmet breakfast. M-m-m- so good! Of course you can purchase already cooked polenta sold in tubes that can be sliced and warmed up in the microwave or a skillet for quick and easy meals.

Easy Quick Microwave Polenta

• 3/4 cup Golden Pheasant Polenta
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix the polenta, water and salt in a 3 quart microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Remove and stir briskly until well blended.  Microwave for another 2-3 minutes for thicker polenta. The polenta may be eaten as soft polenta at this point. Or you may spoon it into a butter baking dish and let it cool until firm. When firm cut into pieces and reheat in the microwave oven, or pan fry in a nonstick skillet with a little butter or oil.

Optional; stir in 1 tablespoon butter or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Yield: 4 servings

Nutritional Information (without optional ingredients)

Per serving; 94 calories, 0.6 g fat, 21 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 1.5 g protein WWPP 3

This Food Find is an item I found and purchased myself. I was not given this product or asked to do a review of it.

I hope everyone watches the Oprah show today. Her friend and trainer Bob Greene will be on there talking about his new book 20 Years Younger! Who doesn’t want to look and feel younger? I have the book and have almost finished reading it and I am looking forward to watching the show which airs in the late afternoon here. There is so much good information in this book! You know there will be a post about this coming soon!

Do you like polenta?

Are you going to watch the 20 Years Younger Oprah show?

1. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

I’ve never had polenta. I’m skeered. It looks like cheesey cream of wheat. :P

We love polenta! There is a recipe on Pioneer Woman for one mixed with a bit of goat cheese. It is sooooooo good. Honestly, I often prefer a savory breakfast over sweet and have been known to eat leftover polenta.

I won’t get to see Oprah because I will be at work and I didn’t check to see if there were any shows I wanted to tape this week. So, I guess I’ll have to wait for the recap.

I like polenta, but I haven’t made it in many, many years at home. When I used to make it, I made it the “traditional” way, and it was just not very convenient… Thanks for the product and cooking method tip!

20 years younger would be nice! :) I’ll try to catch the Oprah show today! Looking forward to your post about the book!

4. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I love this! I usually avoid cooking polenta due to the long cooking time and the constant stirring. I see a lot more polenta in my future! :D

Oh, and I’m making your Melt In Your Mouth Italian Sausages (again!) today. What a perfect combo this would be!

5. fittingbackin says:

I’ve never had it either!! I’ve always been nervous about it. Although I do walk slowly by it each time I pass it at Trader Joe’s!

I record Oprah every day but am quite far behind in my watching. I can’t believe she has just like a month or less left:(

7. Roz says:

Hi Tami, I LOVE polenta, but have NEVER made it myself. This has inspired me, and I will soon!!!

8. Nancy says:

Tami, I love polenta, especially sliced and grilled. I forget to buy it and your post reminded me to put on my grocery list right now!

I will watch Oprah today. I’m always interested in learning how to be healthier and of course, feeling younger.

Polenta has been on my to-try list forever, but something else always gets priority. Like a cookie. :)

Our channel programming was interrupted today because of massive storms and flooding, so I’ll be watching Doppler radar and aging 20 years. LOL

LOL! You always make me laugh Cammy!

I have Oprah set to record for sure! I read his last booked & reviewed it on my site so looking forward to seeing what he has to say! I want to look 20 years younger! :-) Glad to hear you are liking the book!

I also like quick & easy recipes! ;-)

For once I have a recipe that is super easy Jody!

11. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

me…me! I want to look 20 years younger…even feel 20 years younger…but i still want all my middle aged wisdom, thank you! haha

you know, I have never made polenta. I don’t know why. I really like it when I have it in restaurants. Now I don’t have an excuse to put it off any longer!

Renee I want to retain my wisdom as well, we earned it!

This microwave recipe is so easy, no reason not to make it now!