Shrimp with Cilantro & Lime

This is one of those quick and easy recipes that goes together in just minutes! The end result seems like you went to a lot of fuss. Lime juice, cumin, fresh garlic and just a touch of ginger get it started. At the end fresh cilantro and grated lime rind finish it off with with their fresh, bright flavors. It can be served as an appetizer or the main course. For a simple main course add some brown rice and black beans. These tasty shrimp also work well in tacos, burritos or on top a bed of salad greens.

Shrimp with Cilantro & Lime

• 1 3/4 pounds shrimp, large, ready to cook– peeled and deveined
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 3 each garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 cup cilantro — fresh, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon lime rind — grated
  • salt and pepper — to taste

Combine first 5 ingredients, toss well. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add shrimp mixture and cook stirring occasionally until shrimp are completely cooked. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, lime rind and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Yield: 4 Servings

Per Serving: 195 Calories; 5g Fat (23.7% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 306mg Cholesterol; 354mg Sodium. WWPP 5

Recipe adapted from Cooking Lights What’s For Dinner

I use to be a consultant with the Longaberger basket and pottery company so I bought a set of their dinnerware. I have had the Longaberger dishes for about 20 years.  These dishes have been the best most durable everyday dishes. They just don’t break, crack or chip. Love the durability but after 20 years, I am just plain tired of the blue design. For a few years now I have wanted to get all white dishes so I can enjoy different color schemes for my table settings.

Now that I am blogging and photographing food there is even more desire to get white dishes. Food just looks better against a white palette. I have purchased a few pieces of white dinnerware to use for blog photos while I look for new white dinnerware.

Have you noticed the size of plates these days have gotten bigger? Since I have been dish shopping lately, I have seen 12 inch dinner plates. That’s huge! Our cupboards won’t easily accommodate a 12 inch plate, they will barely fit. Some of the salad plates now are almost as large as my current dinner plates.

Here is the problem when I go and look at the white dishes that are available they don’t seem to be as durable as what I have. I found some plain white dishes at Williams Sonoma that are made in France and seem to be of very good quality. One set has a ruffled edge to it and might be a little fussy for everyday use but the other one is completely plain Jane. I wish there was something in between these two!  I’m picky!  The photos below came from the Williams Sonoma site.

What color are your dishes?

Any suggestions for all white yet very durable dishes?

1. wendy says:

oh the “ruffled edge” ones definatly! they are so pretty they make me think i need new dishes as well:)

My daughter likes the ruffled edge ones too! Hubby is going for the plain ones!

2. wendy says:

not sure if walmart is your hat but they have had some nice bone china plate sets there recently. i believe they are by canopy? one set is plainish while the other has beading around the edges.

3. Roz says:

Hi Tami, I have SUPER plain white dishes….they were bought at a wholesale kitchen/restaurant outlet store YEARS ago for next to no money and are super durable. If I want to “pretty them up” for company, I have some chargers to go under them, or I fancy them up with colored napkins on top. I wonder if you have a store like that in your neck of the woods?

Roz we do have some restaurant supply stores nearby. Some friends got their dishes at one of them. The only thing is they are sold in cases of 24! You have to get 24 of everything, dinner plates, salad plates, bowls and so on!

I would like a set of 12 but I don’t know what I would do with 24 of everything!

Oh I just reread what you wrote and you went to an outlet -great idea. I will do a little research and see if there is one anywhere near us.

I had coffee cups one time that I was able to purchase from a restaurant supply store back when we lived in the Midwest and they lasted forever-got rid of them just because we got tired of the look!

We redid our kitchen over 5 years ago and my dishes match the old decor. I told my husband I wanted new ones that year for the holidays but never found any we liked. And I discovered that the bowls are huge now and no longer fit easily in my dishwasher! A while back I decided I should just go for white, although it doesn’t really go with my color scheme. But I haven’t really shopped for them and still find the darn bowls too big! I don’t want to run my dishwasher that often!

Karen you make a good point and I did have one store clerk tell me that some people have complained that their new huge plates won’t fit in the dishwasher, they hit the top rack! That is one more thing to consider.

5. Janine says:

I just typed in white stoneware dishes, and some patterns came up in Mikasa that looked pretty. One was called swirl–maybe a little more Oriental in flavor. One was called antique, which reminded me of the one you posted. They were at Macy’s. I’m not a big help here, since I adore the hand signed Unikat Polish Stoneware. It’s multi color floral banded in cobalt blue. Each dish is different, but because of the colors they all blend.
    If you’re just going for durable, light and easily stackable, Corelle will work.
    Love the looks of today’s posted recipe.

Janine is that the pottery sold on QVC? It is very pretty! I will pop over to the Macy’s web site but I have been to the Macy’s store and didn’t see anything there I wanted. Its kind of like I know what I want, I just can’t find it! Maybe it doesn’t exist.

I know the corelle is good, I have some bowls but I am looking for something nicer that can be used for everyday or dressed up!

Thanks so much for the help!

6. Mary says:

Your shrimp sound really delicious. I have the really plain dishes fro WS. I dress them up with various salad plates, soup bowls and napkins. This is my first visit to your blog and I have really enjoyed the time I’ve spent here. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Hi Mary thanks for visiting my blog!

Your shrimp dish sounds wonderful!

It’s crazy how big plates are these days (especially when many people completely fill their plate with food!). Unfortunately, I don’t have any plate suggestions, but I’m getting a bit tired of our plates myself…

Have a great weekend!

I would rather eat off a smaller plate and have it look fuller!

I don’t do any fancy dishes or even regualr…. we just don’t do the get together stuff at our place – and day to day, well, I won’t bore you! ;-)

9. Kristi Rimkus says:

Love your shrimp dish. Simple, but packed with flavor. I agree with Andrea, dish sizes are so big these days. If I were dish hunting again, I’d look for smaller sizes.

Kristi

First of all, I love your shrimp dish – anything with cilantro and lime, and I am in!

Second, I have the set of dishes on the right – the plain jane Williams Sonoma plates – I’ve had them for about 10 years (we bought them after we got married) and they are so durable – I have yet to break a dish. :D

I like them because you can add a colorful placemat underneath, with mutli-colored cloth napkins – you won’t go wrong if you buy them! :D

Biz thanks for letting me know you have the WS dishes! I have a friend who has the larger set I think it is called Grande and she loves them. So good to know you have had them a long time and haven’t broken any! Thats the kind of dishes I want to replace my current set with.

I do like that you can change the look easily with placemats, napkins and chargers.

I need to take a second look at them. Thank y ou!

Your food photos look so good! Shrimp is one of my favorite foods!

Mine are plain white and Corelle. Now that we are just 2 I want to get some nicer dinner ware for everyday. Corelle is okay but after a time from dishwasher use, they tend to get brittle.
    My good set is a set my mil gave me when she moved into senior housing. Tiny pink roses on a cream background.

12. Kat says:

Hi Tami -

Long time no talk! I am looking forward to catching up and trying some of your recipes!
    I have the Apilco Tradition dinnerware and I am pretty sure that is the photo on the right. The great thing about this brand is that it is super durable. I really like it..:-)

13. Laura Beth says:

Hi Tami,

The shrimp dish looks yummy.

In terms of the dinneware, I used to work at Williams Sonoma (which was great!) and in my opinion I would definitly invest in their plain white Apilco dinnerware (the picture on the right). It is very durable and cleans beautifully. WS always backs their product if you have any problems with it. Also you can put the Apilco almost anywhere – oven, fridge…ect. It is a great choice!

Best
    LB

14. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

well…we have already had a discussion on the Longaberger stuff! lol I now have fiesta ware, that unfortunately does not come in white, ( but many other beautiful colors!) I have a set of red, and I will agree, food does not always ( hardly ever!) photograph well against the red color…much to my dismay. But having both the Longaberger pottery AND the fiesta ware, I can tell you the quality is comparable. Also, fiesta ware is made in the USA! and the plates are smaller than the average dinner plates these days. I know this doesn’t help much with your search for white dinnerware, but if you decide on colors…fiesta ware is the way to go! :)

15. Vanessa says:

I have cilantro in the fridge. I think I will throw this dish together for lunch today.

I like the ruffled dishes too. My dinnerware is cream with pink flowers and not all foods look good against it.