Frosted Cauliflower With Cabot Reduced Fat Cheddar

Often times I oven roast cauliflower but we were already having oven roasted asparagus and broccoli on Saturday so I wanted to fix the cauliflower a different way. While browsing through some old recipes I came upon this one for frosted cauliflower that I had found years ago on a Southbeach Diet message board but hadn’t made in quite some time.

The recipe is a bit unconventional and truth be told I don’t much care for mayonnaise but somehow in this recipe it becomes absolutely delicious! The Cabot reduced fat cheddar cheese is perfect for this recipe since it melts so well and has terrific flavor. I like to finely shred it so it covers more surface area. The cheese gets all melty and combines with the mayo -mustard mixture to create a creamy topping for the cauliflower.  A little sprinkle of paprika adds some color.The leftovers reheat well which is always a plus in my book.

This is a great substitute for potatoes or a starch if you are trying to cut back on carbs.

A shallow bowl works well for the cooking process and for serving. I like easy clean up!

You get 6 very generous serving sizes out of one head of cauliflower.

Frosted Cauliflower

• 1 large cauliflower head — washed, core removed
  • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup Best Foods Low Fat Mayonnaise
  • 1 ounce Cabot reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese — finely shredded (this is a white cheddar)
  • salt and pepper — to taste
  • paprika — to taste

Trim leaves and core from cauliflower but leave the head intact. Rinse well with cool water.

Place cauliflower in a microwave safe dish, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap, microwave on high for 15 -20 minutes. Time will depend on how large the head of cauliflower is and the power of your microwave. Mine is done in 15 minutes.

Carefully remove dish from microwave. Remove plastic wrap being cautious of the steam released when you vent the plastic wrap. Drain and liquid from the bottom of the dish.

Mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Frost the cauliflower with the mixture. Sprinkle the finely shredded cheese over the top.

Microwave for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cut into 6 wedges and serve.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving: 46 Calories; 2g Fat (27.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 155mg Sodium. WWPP 1

My new schedule worked well yesterday. I got in a 3 mile walk, and a weight resistance workout before my morning shower! Yeah! The rest of my day was spent washing blinds and more Spring cleaning!  By the end of the day my muscles were sore from all of the climbing up and down on chairs. I wonder how many calories I burned yesterday.

I was going to be doing more Spring cleaning today but the dental office called and I need to go in and pick up my retainers! Bye-bye braces! This is a happy day! It’s a 40 minute drive one way to the dental office so a visit takes up about 2 1/2 hours. I won’t get nearly as much work done today around the house but then there is always tomorrow.

I have a big announcement tomorrow so be sure and check Wednesdays post!

When I exercise I have so much more energy the rest of the day!

Have you noticed that you have more energy when you exercise?

Do you like cauliflower?

1. Jill says:

Cauliflower is just ok, I can take it or leave it, most times I leave it. ;-)

Yes I totally feel more energetic after exercising, my goal is 3x per week, sadly, I have yet to make that goal.

Congrats on the braces removal, I got mine off in December!! Such a good meeling.

Thanks for the cauliflower recipe. I usually roast it, but it can get a bit old…

I love morning workouts because of the energy they give.

I prefer morning work outs too! Later in the day I will find way too many reasons not to exercise!

3. Dawn Hutchins says:

Great cauli recipe Tami! Cauli is one of my favorites! I typically mash it or steam it. As far as working out I can’t really say it gives me more energy. Typically I am actually pretty worn out and sore and tired Haha!

4. Jan says:

Oh wow! I have to make that and like soon !!!

Let me know if you like it Jan!

5. leslie says:

I LOVE cauliflower, and that recipe sounds great. I’ll definitely try it. Recently I’ve been roasting big pans of cauliflower with a touch of olive oil, lots of garlic, and a tad of balsamic. Also delicious.

Your recipe sounds awesome Lesile! Balsamic and veggies is a good combo!

I am not a huge fan of mayo either Tami, but in things like this dish, I am okay with it. You had me at Cabot cheese – love that stuff!

I actually half a cauliflower fajita quiche on my menu this week – I’ll let you know when its up because I think you’ll love it! :D

Biz that recipe sounds awesome! Looking forward to the recipe and review.

Yes, more energy. Yes, I like cauliflower. Don’t love it, like most veggies. But well enough.

8. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

yes indeed! If only I can remember how much more energy I get and how much better I sleep when I get some exercise in! I really like to workout in the mornings because of it…but it doesn’t always work out for me! or I just don’t work hard enough to make it work for me….hmmmm….something to work on!

What an unusual recipe! I think I would LOVE it because I love cauliflower and cheese!

Renee you are so right about sleeping better when exercising too. It has so many great benefits!

Oh my…does that cauliflower look good! I will be making that recipe for sure but I know i’ll have to sub with a different cheese!
    I prefer cauliflower over broccoli!

Yes, exercise gives me more energy!

Any cheese will work Carol. Hope you enjoy it!

Yeah for more energy from exercising!

10. Debby says:

This is just too interesting not to try!

I had the same thought when I first saw the recipe!

11. megi says:

I love cauliflower and all the other cruciferous vegetables, this looks so good! I have a small cauliflower in the fridge, I was going to make a salad but I think I’ll try your recipe. Do you think I could steam it in a steaming basket and bake it in the oven?

Megi I think that would work perfectly! Enjoy!

12. Erica says:

I’m not a mayo fan either, but I’m intrigued! Sounds like a very cool side dish. Maybe greek yogurt could sub in for the mayo? LOVE cauliflower :)

13. Roz says:

Hi Tami, oh wow…I’m SOOOO going to try this!!! I love cauliflower. Lately I’ve been purreeing it with a bit of low fat sour cream for a low point side. Definitely going to try this soon!!! And yes, I have more energy when I exercise, and….I sleep better.
    Have a great day!!!

14. Jacquelyn says:

ooooh, very beautiful presentation! It sounds delicious, I can’t wait to try the recipe! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for using Cabot cheese!
    ~Jacquelyn

15. Ronni says:

This sounds great! I have a head of cauliflower I was going to steam but will try this instead. I use this technique with fish…spreading a serving of light mayo over each filet, sprinkling with Old Bay seasoning, then bake as usual. Really good!

1. Ronni says:

Made this last night with a head of cauliflower from our Bountiful Basket this past weekend….it was sooooo good! Thank you so much for the recipe!

16. Debby says:

Finally fixed this tonight. Wow! It was VERY good. I will fix it again for sure. So glad you shared this!