Asian Style Turkey Burgers

I mentioned how moist these Asian Style Turkey Burgers are in yesterdays post and several people left comments mentioning that they were looking forward to this recipe! Daughter Katy said these are the best turkey burgers I have ever made! They do rank high on my list as well but, my all time favorite is the Feta Stuffed Turkey Burger! Being the “pleaser” that I am I sat right down and calculated the nutritional information so this would be ready to post today.

I use lean ground turkey meat to keep the fat and calorie count down in all of my turkey burgers. The trick to making moist turkey burgers is not to over mix the raw meat and don’t over cook them. It only takes about 7-8 minutes per side in a non stick skillet to completely cook these to perfection.

The sauce for these burgers is the crowning touch, it adds moistness and a nice punch of citrus! Originally I was going to have hubby Tom cook these on the grill and I had some pineapple rings that were going to go on the grill for a minute to top the burgers. At the last minute our schedule changed and I ended up cooking these in a skillet on the stove top. We were delighted with the results! Although these are excellent as written, next time I will sub pineapple juice in the sauce and top the burgers off with a grilled pineapple ring just for fun!

I had one of these left over, gently heated up in the microwave and I ate it sans the bun with a huge helping of my Kale slaw. I will post the slaw recipe later this week. You are going to jump for joy when you try it! No-really you will!

ASIAN STYLE TURKEY BURGERS

• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup scallions — chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root — minced
  • 2 teaspoons garlic — finely chopped
  • Salt
  • Black pepper

Sauce

• 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Butter

In a bowl, combine ground turkey, scallions, 2 TB of cilantro, 1 TB of the soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well.

Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions . Shape into patties.

Preheat non stick skillet over a medium heat, spray with non stick cooking spray, add the patties and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn patties over and cook another 8 minutes or until done (165 degrees F).

For the sauce, in a small saucepan combine orange juice, lemon juice, and the remaining 1 TB soy sauce. Let bubble until reduced by half. Whisk in the butter and the remaining 1 TB cilantro. Pour over burgers.

Yield: 6 burgers  Servings Size: 1 burger

Per Serving: 198 Calories; 10g Fat; 23g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 446mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat. WWPP 5

Adapted From the book “Chef Bobo’s Good Food Cook book”

I have been on a kick of eating low fat cottage cheese with fresh strawberries and melon or tomatoes and cucumbers. It tastes so light and fresh and cottage cheese is a good source of protein. It’s been a nice change of flavors.

Last night I had dreams about food! I was making these amazing chicken kabobs and cooking them on the grill. I don’t do any grilling around here, that is hubby Tom’s job so that was pretty funny. Recently we purchased some kabob skewers but haven’t gotten around to making any. The ones in my dream looked delicious, I just wish I could remember the recipe! Crazy!

The ice cream machine is going to be used again as I try my hand at making frozen yogurt! I’m thinking vanilla flavored frozen yogurt with a fruity sauce to top it! ¬†M-m-m-m! If it’s any good I’ll be sure to post about it. :)

Dreaming about good food!

What have you been eating lately?

Do you ever dream about food?

Even though I am a “foody” and spend a lot of time cooking, reading recipes and so forth I rarely dream about food.

I have been eating a lot of salads, cottage cheese, melons and berries.

Me too! Low fat cottage cheese with strawberries. Yum. I’ve been eating it for dinner even since I happily don’t cook when my teen is not around to feed.

I’ve been all about the barbecue chicken and big ol’ salads with tomatoes and cucumbers this week. We’re hitting “high season” for fresh veggies, and I’m loving it!

Those look delicious and you’re right – the key is to use very lean ground turkey. In fact, I just read an article in a magazine that showed how if you just use generic ground turkey you’re better it’s no better than having ground beef!

I’ll have to send Shelley over here – the pinapple version sounds like something she would really enjoy.

Helen I bought turkey burger patties and hamburger patties at Trader Joes one time. I didn’t realize until I got home that the turkey patties had more calories and fat than the hamburger patties! Buyer beware!

4. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

Looks very yummy… I will give them a whirl .. Try Cottage Cheese and Pineapple.. Its fantastic as well.

5. Roz says:

Hi Tami,
    These burgers look YUM!!!! I’ve been eating LOTS of strawberries lately. So good. And funny, now that I think about it, I can’t remember a food dream. Nope…
    which like you, is surprising because I love reading cookbooks, magazines, collecting gadgets etc, etc, etc….
    Have a great day!!

6. Jan says:

Turkey burgers are a fave of mine right now for the protein. Sometimes we just brown the turkey meat with seasonings, add favorite veggies and call it “turkey crumble”.

Previously when starting diets (so many, many times) I would always dream about food the first week or so. This time when I switched to healthy eating that did not happen and hasn’t except for the one time I dreamt someone offered me ice cream (my trigger food), and I laughed so hard in the dream that I awoke!

LOL at you waking yourself up from that dream! I had another dream about food last night, not sure what’s going on with this sudden food theme but maybe some good recipes will come from it!

Look amazing! I use extra lean turkey but add salsa or mustards or things like that to keep it moist.

I am a boring eater so things don’t change too often except for the spices & such – the way I flavor them…

I have crazy dreams bit not about food!

Right now, I am all about the fresh fruit. In my fridge at this moment are strawberries, peaches, cantaloupe, watermelon and blueberries. The veggies are pretty good too. Got some awesome sugar snap peas today and can’t wait for farmer’s market this Saturday.

It sounds like you are well stocked with healthy food Sharon. I have been snacking on sugar snap peas lately and they are crunchy and sweet!
      Have fun at the Farmer’s Market and enjoy your holiday weekend.

9. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

We have been loving all the fresh fruits and vegetables around, but I haven’t dreamt about them yet! Lovely looking foods!

I think this time of year it’s so much easier to eat healthy with the wealth of fresh produce and all of it is so flavorful!

10. Ann says:

Lately I’m all about the fresh fruits and veggies available this time of year. We’ve had a ton of cucumbers out of the garden and cherry tomatoes. Yummy! I don’t remember ever dreaming about food. But I sure do daydream about it a lot. Especially after reading your blog! Ha ha!

11. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Yummy!!!! Perfect timing for this weekend’s 4th of July grilling! Now my dilemma is to make these burgers, the feta burgers or both!!!

12. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

haha…I cannot say I have ever dreamed about food….I live it, breathe it, write about it…but I can’t remember ever dreaming about it. How funny….

I made a similar burger not long ago…it was made with ground chicken. Delicious, as I bet your turkey burger is as well. :)

Thanks Renee! Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

13. charcee says:

for those devotees of weight watcherspoints + my calculator says the turkey burgers are 5 points,i think adding some kind of moisture to groung turkey is a great point,especially when it is also a flavor boost

Charcee that is just what I came up with too! They are so good, hope you give them a try!

14. pat says:

Just browsing again tonight. I too like cottage cheese and fruit in the summer.
    I also like turkey burgers. I was in Washington a few years ago. (pre WW) Went to a county fair with my brother. I had a turkey breast, cranberry, cream cheese sandwich on multigrain bread. It was sooo good. When I came back to MN. I thought about that sandwich. I changed it up with lean ground turkey with sage as seasoning. My granddaughters tell me it is like eating “Thanksgiving in a bun”. I have since changed it a bit by using FF Cream Cheese and homemade cranberry sauce.