This is one of our favorite summer salads. This recipe is very forgiving so feel free to adapt it to your personal taste. It is filled with the goodness of fresh salad tomatoes, avocado, corn, black beans, romaine lettuce and a full flavored creamy Chipotle dressing. The dressing is amazing and you will find yourself making it to use on other salads as well.Be sure and use romaine lettuce as it is sturdy enough to stand up to the moist ingredients and won’t wilt as quickly. This flavorful salad is just as good on the second day!
Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2/3 cup light sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts) Leftover grilled chicken works too.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
- 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained or use frozen
To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stir until well mixed.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge – it’s just as good the second day!
Tip: Add a spoonful of adobo sauce for a spicier salad. Kidney or pinto beans also work in this salad.
Yield: 4 Servings Servings Size: Approx 2 1/2 cups
Calories: 249, Fat: 8.2g, Saturated fat: 2.8g, Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g, Protein: 23.3g, Carbohydrate: 25.1g, Fiber: 7g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Iron: 2.2mg, Sodium: 650mg, Calcium: 106mg WWPP 6
Adapted from Cooking Light AUGUST 2006