Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad

This is one of our favorite summer salads. This recipe is very forgiving so feel free to adapt it to your personal taste. It is filled with the goodness of fresh salad tomatoes, avocado, corn, black beans, romaine lettuce and a full flavored creamy Chipotle dressing. The dressing is amazing and you will find yourself making it to use on other salads as well.

Be sure and use romaine lettuce as it is sturdy enough to stand up to the moist ingredients and won’t wilt as quickly. This flavorful salad is just as good on the second day!

Quick and Easy Meal Prep Ideas

I have been getting question lately about quick and easy recipes for busy summer evenings. On the weekends we like to cook up a large batch of chicken breasts, chicken legs, pork chops, Italian sausages, hamburgers or turkey burgers. on the grill and freeze them for easy meal prep down the road.

The trick to reheating the precooked meat is to do it gently in the microwave on a lower power so it doesn’t turn to rubber! The burgers, pork chops, chicken and sausages taste like they just came off the grill and you have dinner ready in just minutes.You need only to prepare a salad or a veggie and your favorite grain for a simple meal.

Cooking the chicken on the grill adds so much flavor which enhances the recipes it is used in. The grilled chicken breast meat can be used in pasta dishes like Quick & Easy Pierogie Casserole, Chinese Chicken Salad, Chicken Fried Rice, Chicken Taquitos, Creamy Light Alfredo Chicken, Cheesy Chicken & Spinach Shells, or Baked Grilled Chicken Chimichangas. Of course quesadillas, nachos, chicken salad and pizza are easy and can be tossed together quickly as well! You can sub the already cooked chicken in so many recipes that you are probably already making.

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad

Dressing:

• 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2/3 cup light sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Salad:

• 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
  • 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
  • 1/3 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (8 3/4-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained

To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.

To prepare salad, combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.

Tip: Add a spoonful of adobo sauce for a spicier salad. Kidney or pinto beans also taste great in this dish.

Yield: 4 Servings   Servings Size: Approx 2 1/2 cups

Calories: 249, Fat: 8.2g, Saturated fat: 2.8g, Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g, Protein: 23.3g, Carbohydrate: 25.1g, Fiber: 7g, Cholesterol: 50mg, Iron: 2.2mg, Sodium: 650mg, Calcium: 106mg WWPP 6

Adapted from Cooking Light AUGUST 2006

The pre house painting work begins today with a crew coming to power wash the exterior of the house! I have the windows open at the moment to enjoy the cool breeze before I have to batten down the hatches! We don’t have any plans for the weekend other than paint prep which I think we have mostly taken care of. There might be some shrubs that have to be trimmed back and I am sure we will be given direction regarding that when they come to work today!

I have walked three times this week and the weather has been lovely!

Enjoy your weekend!

What do you fix for Quick & Easy Meals?

Any plans for the weekend?

9 pings

Oh this looks yummy! I wish I had you for my personal chef:) Love quick and easy meals, especially if I can throw them in the crockpot.

LOL! Karen sometimes I wish I had my own personal chef on the nights when I am so tired but need something healthy to put on the table!

I love crockpot recipes too and I have vowed to use mine more this summer. I use it all Winter long but I need to use it during hot weather to keep my kitchen cooler.

Big Salad isi probably my go to quick meal. I love taco salad and I’m printing out your dressing recipe right now :-)

Let me know if you make this salad Helen! As the weather heats up I turn to more main meal salads to keep us cool!

Have a fabulous weekend!

I love leftovers for easy week night dinners, and grilled leftovers are my favorite! Your salad sounds wonderful!

Have a great weekend!

Looks like it’s going to be a warm weekend – hope you enjoy some fun time with your toddler outside!

4. Jan says:

Love the taste of chipotle! And, this has such a nice ratio of carbs:protein. Another winner for my eating style. Thanks Tami!

Hi Jan, so happy to know this salad is something you will be able to enjoy!

Hope you are having a good weekend! Hugs to you! :)

5. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

This is my kind of salad! And better yet that it keeps well since I would be the only person consuming it!

Mmm, I know which recipe I’m adapting for Sunday night supper! :) Thank you!

I think everyone is looking for warm weather salads and this one is perfect!

Enjoy! :)

7. leslie says:

This looks amazing, Tami. I’ll be trying this – maybe over the weekend. Thanks!

Hi Leslie, hope you enjoy the salad. It’s going to be a big hit for a lot of folks this weekend from the response I have been getting!

Happy Eating!

That salad looks amazing!

Are we on the same wavelength? My post today was on my lazy cooking & what I do! Nothing as great as your recipes! ;-)

We are often on the same wave length Jody! I will pop over to your blog and read all about your cooking! Hope you have an awesome weekend! :)

9. Tish says:

Once again, I have to thank you for posting such great recipes. This looks wonderful and I think I have all the ingredients. My own quick and easy, which I make on nights when we need to eat and run off somewhere, is omelettes. I make them the Julia Child way (learned from the DVD of her tv shows). A 2 egg omelette, a veggie filling (spinach or asparagus are my favorites, and a generous side of fresh fruit (pineapple, orange wedges, or cantaloupe). I can have it on the table in 15 minutes and my fellas love it, too.

Tish you are so welcome! You have me wondering how Julia made her omelets. I will have to Google it! Your 2 egg omelet with spinach or asparagus sounds delicious. Thanks for a great idea!

10. erica@fashionmeetsfood says:

This looks absolutely wonderful! Would you like to come be my personal chef? You always make the best food!!

xo

Thanks for the nice compliment Erica! Enjoy your weekend!

11. Roz says:

What a great looking salad Tami. Love that you can make a big batch and its good for a few days. Have a good weekend.

12. Dawn says:

That looks fabulous. I must try making this dressing! Our quick and easy go-to meals involve the grill. Tonight I’m going to throw one of my tried and true recipes on. It’s chicken thighs marinated in honey, soy, curry and dijon and then on the side some grilled corn and asparagus that I started marinating in the fridge this morning. All this talk of fabulous food is making me so hungry.

Yum! Dawne tonight’s dinner sounds awesome! We like to use the grill too, so easy and no clean up! Our grill is parked out of the way currently as we are getting the house painted so hopefully this coming weekend we can get back to using it.

13. Crystal says:

I just made this today, I love the combination of the ingredients so healthy for you, only one issue was the spicy chipotle stuff I couldn’t find…and then I did and I overdid it….soooo spicy…it burns but very good. I just suck with spicy stuff :P Thanks!

The chipotles can be hot! I have used too much a time or two myself. So glad to know you enjoyed the salad. :)

1. Weekly Plan: June 20-26 « Coffee Cake and Cardio says:

[...] Chipotle chicken taco salad and 1 mini cone [...]

2. Spice it up! « Coffee Cake and Cardio says:

[...] found a wonderful, and easy recipe, on Nutmeg Notebook a few weeks ago and just knew that it would come in handy!  I began by sauteing chicken tenders [...]

3. Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad | says:

[...] Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad [...]

4. Weekend Links for 8/9/13 | Big Girl Life says:

[...] Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad. Under 250 calories for 2.5 cups! [...]

5. Weekly Plan: June 20-26 | says:

[…] Chipotle chicken taco salad and 1 mini cone […]

6. Spice it up! | says:

[…] found a wonderful, and easy recipe, on Nutmeg Notebook a few weeks ago and just knew that it would come in handy!  I began by sauteing chicken tenders […]

7. 15 Powerful Meat Salads says: