Small Change Challenge Final Check In!

This is the fourth and final week of the challenge! I can’t wait to read how everyone did overall the past four weeks with making small healthy changes.

My 4 Week Update

My Small Change Challenge was once again to walk 3 miles at least 5 days. This past week I managed to walk all 7 days and even walked 5 miles on one of those days! What a difference a little exercise makes in the way my clothes fit, how strong my leg muscles are, it gives me an energy boost and seems to improve my attitude as well. That’s a pretty good payoff for the investment! I lost another .2 for a total weight loss of 3.2 pounds. I’ll take it! I still have 3 pounds to lose to be at my happy weight and I know it will take another 3-4 weeks to get there. The challenge was just what I needed to get back to a regular exercise schedule and clean up my eating habits a little.

Maintaining Weight Loss

Yo – Yo Dieting - Definition; Also know as weight cycling. The dieter loses weight only to gain it back plus more. The dieter then seeks to lose the weight  again and thus the cycle begins.

Having been a yo yo dieter most of my adult life  each time I decided to try yet another “diet” I was embarrassed or afraid to admit to anyone that I was trying to lose weight. Who wants to be the fat girl who is always eating “diet” food.

When I changed from the all or nothing thinking of either being on a restrictive diet or having an all you can eat attitude with no middle ground, my life changed for the better. I started to focus on eating and living in a healthy way, being kind to my body in the way I feed it. Thinking about my nutritional needs and getting off the sugar and highly refined carbs has made a huge difference in being able to sustain a healthy diet.

Dr Oz says,” We should think about what we eat as a prescription for our health and ask ourselves if what we are about to put in our mouth is something our doctor would prescribe for us.” I love this statement! It really makes you stop and think about the quality of the food you eat and if it’s truly good for you.

Dr Phil says,” our weight is managed not cured.” I find comfort in that statement. It means that if I do eat outside of my healthy food choices or engage in emotional eating from time to time, that is normal for me. I am a work in progress and will continue to be. I do my best each day and some days my best is better than other days.

I know that I won’t be perfect with my eating everyday. I also know that if I gain a few pounds back from time to time that it isn’t the end of the world and that does not make me a failure. It does mean that I have to look at what I am doing, what I eat, how much I exercise and adjust accordingly!

Sometimes I think I have this weight thing figured out but then something in life happens and I trip and stumble. For a time it’s like I forget everything I have learned about myself and my relationship with food and what works for me to maintain a healthy weight.

Then as if out of thin air, things seem to fall into place and I remember what I need to do. Once again I have the resolve to do it and life is good. This emotional relationship with food doesn’t  have a definitive destination. The path contains u -turns, switch backs and roads yet undiscovered. It takes constant awareness and management!

Incredible Quote

I read something on Roni’s Weigh that I have shared before. She quoted her Weight Watchers leader who said,

It’s not what we do occasionally that makes the difference. It’s what we do consistently.”

This is how I try to think about my eating plan but I have never been able to put it into words as simply as she did. Brilliant!

If you are in the Small Change Challenge leave a comment saying how you did this past week! Check out the rules of the Challenge here to be sure you did everything for your chance at the prizes! Once everyone has done there final check in I will identify who qualifies for the prizes and conduct the drawing. I will post the results later this week. Good luck!

Have you yo-yo dieted?

What motivates you to stick to your healthy habits?

Do you have a favorite quote?

Oh, you know me. Yo-yo dieter extraordinaire. I guess I can say that I feel better, physically and emotionally, when I am living a healthy life. I like myself more too:)

Those are awesome reasons to live healthy Karen! I think we have plenty of company in the yo-yo dieter club!

2. MB says:

We made it!!! Congrats on your progress.

It’s hard to believe it’s been four weeks already. I definitely made progress on my small change challenge but never got through a full week 100% so there is still room for improvement. My final update is at http://finallyfiguringitout.blogspot.com/2011/06/small-change-challenge-finale.html

I was on the weight loss roller coaster for decades and I’m hoping to never get on that crazy ride again. I think the difference this time is I didn’t try to play by someone else’s rules, I learned that eating healthy (most of the time) and working hard will give me results. It helps that I also found out how incredible an endorphin high could be. I wish I could bottle up that stuff and sell it, I could make millions.

There are so many quotes I love but the one I seem to repeat over and over again is “Everything Happens for a Reason.”

Tami, thanks for organizing this challenge and keeping me motivated to stick to it. Small changes definitely can add up to big results.

Not playing by someone else’s rules is a great thought. We have to find the right balance for ourselves and that seems to be different for everyone I know.

Thanks for being a part of the challenge and checking in!

I’ve enjoyed reading the comments from the Small Change Challenge and would have participated except that I’ve been in & out of BlogLand while we were traveling. Hope you will offer another challenge later on.

I’m not so much a yo-yo dieter as I am someone who just can’t find a weight and maintain it. I’d be happy to maintain ANY weight for a sustained period of time.

Welcome back Sharon! I don’t have any immediate plans to host another challenge but it’s been fun to do this one. It helped me get my exercise routine going again and that was just what I needed. Everything else fell into place once I got my balance back where it needed to be.

4. teresa says:

I had a pretty good week with my small change and even forgot why I was doing what I was doing. I guess it became a bit of a habit, so that’s even better!
    Here’s my post: http://momgrooves.com/2011/06/small-change-challenge-finale/

As for the rest, I’m not really a yo-yo dieter. I’ve lost weight a couple of times in my life, but don’t usually go up and down in yo-yo fashion.
    And as far as motivation.. I just want to feel good. I really do. I have my daughter and husband, but this goal has been place long before them. It’s “Me” I’m really after…

Thanks Tami, for the idea, the challenge and the support!

Hi Teresa! So glad you had a good week! Feeling good is a great motivator for doing what it takes to live healthy! Eating good food is and getting exercise make such a huge difference in how I feel!

Hope you have a lovely weekend! :)

Great job!

I love Roni’s quote. It’s so true!!!

It’s easy to let some unhealthy habits slip back in… I’ve been enjoying a few too many treats, and I have to cut them out again. Nothing drastic, just a little more mindfulness… :)

Andrea being mindful makes such a difference! Sometimes we just need to cut a couple things out and all is well! :)

6. Ann says:

I wouldn’t say I’ve yo-yo’d. That would mean I would have stuck with a diet for a period of time. In my past I was never successful even short term. No not yo-yo for me. I enjoyed my small change this week. I took the time to prepare a few meals and this greatly improved my attitude toward food this week. As a result I ate better!

One of my favorite quotes is from Abe Lincoln: “Most people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be.”

Great job on your small change challenge this week Ann. Cooking something does improve our attitude towards food! Variety is the key so we don’t get bored and want to stray.

Nice quote, thanks for sharing! Hope you and your family have a lovely weekend!

7. fittingbackin says:

ugh – consistency is so key but isn’t it annoying?! I wish I could do ‘good’ 5 days a week then be more flexible the other 2. But it doesn’t work like that for me. When I try this I maintain, or even worse, gain. I have to be consistent and diligent or I am not the size I want to be. boo.

I can relate to what you are saying! Me too, it’s so annoying that I need to be good 7 days a week too! My body just doesn’t allow for too much extra food or lack of exercise. At least we have figured out what works and have the ability to do what it takes!

Enjoy the weekend!

Great quote from Roni’s WW leader.

When I was a WW leader, I used to tell them, “It’s not one apple, it’s one apple pie.”

Helen I didn’t know you had been a WW leader! Great quote. I hope you are feeling better and can enjoy the long weekend. :)

Very nice post, Tami! Walking, especially in natural environments, pays all kinds of dividends for our health! It often is the first recommendation I make to someone starting a fitness program. When ever I have asked a fit person what is it that you think is the most important, they have always said, “consistency!”

I don’t know what to say to someone who doesn’t care enough about their health to be consistent :-(

I hope you can quote me one day :-)

Dr J consistency is a key to being healthy! My summertime routine does not jive with our winter weather so I really need to figure out what I am going to do for exercise during the cold wet winters. I am not the type to go to a gym so I guess I need to get a new treadmill and walk inside!

I don’t think it’s always about not caring enough about ones health to stay consistent. There are so many factors involved like past history, the emotional connection with food, depression for some and so on. It does take a great deal of discipline to keep the new habits going and some times we falter and have to start again.

Have a great holiday weekend! :)

I’m a former yo-yo dieter, but these days I’m more of a ‘yo’. I gain a couple pounds, catch it, and either wait for it to go away or adjust to move back closer to my life plan. This is how I expected/wanted to live out my life, and it seems to be working. (When it doesn’t, I’ll adjust the plan. :) )

My favorite quote along these lines is “You don’t drown by falling into water. You drown because you stay there.” (And I’ve forgotten who said it.)

Cammy I like that you are more of a ‘ yo’ that is so cute! You really do have it figured out and I admire you for it!

Great quote too! Enjoy the long weekend. :)

11. TracyP says:

I just discovered your blog and have been having fun perusing it. You have so many great ideas!

Thank You Tracy! I’m glad that you are enjoying the blog. It’s a labor of love!

Have a great holiday weekend. :)

I love Roni’s quote! Yep, its how you do each day that makes a difference – before if I ate one thing not on plan, I’d give up, each like shit for days or weeks, before getting back on track.

Life is too short not to have a froyo every once in a while – and while my weight loss is slow this time around, I have to remember I am 13 years older than I was when I lost 70 pounds – damn 40s! :D

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

13. Loye says:

I just found your site, Tami – I love it! I will pass it on at my next Weight Watchers meeting.

Here’s a quote I read recently:

Being overweight is hard.
    Losing weight is hard.
    Choose your hard!

loyemarie

Welcome to Nutmeg Notebook Loyemarie! Thanks for helping me get the word out about the blog, I appreciate your efforts!

That quote is one of my favorites! It’s so true.
      Hope you are enjoying weekend!