Small Change Challenge Kick Off!

Welcome to the Small Change Challenge! We are kicking off the Challenge today and I am ready and excited!

It’s not too late to join the challenge. You have until midnight tonight to sign up! So what are you waiting for? Read the challenge guidelines here. The small change can be anything that will improve your healthy lifestyle!  Don’t miss out on all the fun and the prizes!!! I added a third prize, now you have another change to win!

What A Difference 100 calories can make!

If it is weight loss you want to work on here are some facts. A pound of body weight is equal to 3500 calories. If  you cut  just 100 calories a day from your diet, in one year that would be 36,500 calories and a potential weight loss of 10 pounds! Would you really miss that 100 calories? Probably not. It could be as simple as not snacking while we cook. No nibbling as we clean up the kitchen. Or simply skipping one small snack a day. This also means that if we are adding in an extra 100 calories a day we could gain 10 pounds in a year! Just like small change, all those little BLT’s bites, licks and tastes do add up.

Where to save that 100 calories?

• One tablespoon butter
  • One slice of bread
  • One glass of 1% milk
  • One ounce of cheese
  • 100 calorie bag of popcorn
  • One banana
  • One tablespoon peanut butter
  • One tablespoon regular salad dressing
  • One ounce small pretzels

Or try adding in one these activities to burn an extra 100 calories instead of cutting back.

• Walk briskly for 20 minutes
  • Run for 10 minutes
  • Lift weights for 20 minutes
  • Yoga for 20 minutes
  • Vacuum for 25 minutes
  • Jump rope for 10 minutes
  • Dancing for 20 minutes
  • Hand wash your car
  • Gardening/mowing for 30 minutes

Of course if  you are super motivated and cut back on 100 calories a day as well as burn an extra 100 calories a day you could have the potential to lose 20 pounds over the next year! Small changes do make a big difference over time.

Today is a big day at our house. It’s hubby Tom’s birthday! He has to go out of town on business so we are delaying his celebration to Saturday. Happy Birthday Tom!

Our daughter Katy has been in Spain for 10 months attending the University in Madrid and she comes home today!!! I could hardly sleep last night as I am so excited. Her brother, boyfriend and I are headed to  San Francisco this afternoon to get her! Of course no one is as excited as she is to be coming home. She has been thinking about home cooked food for months and I think I will be cooking a lot of her favorite foods in the coming weeks! I have been Spring cleaning like crazy in order to have it all done so we can have fun girl time.  There won’t be a lot of blogging time in the next few days as we will be enjoying some quality family time. Today is going to be the best day this year!

Have a joy filled day!

If  you are in the challenge leave a comment with your small change goal for this week!

My small change will be to keep a food journal this week. I feel more accountable when I write down everything I eat.

Yeah to Katy coming home:) Muy bueno.

2. Ann says:

OH! Enjoy Katy’s home coming! I’m so happy for you guys.I’m happy to join your challenge! My small change for the week is to get back to daily workouts.

Enjoy your reunion with Katy! I know your whole family is excited to have her back home! Happy Birthday to Tom!!

4. Carol T says:

A daughter home, a clean house and home cooked meals, how wonderful. I have gone on my 3 mile walk for the day. My small change is to exercise more ( 3-5 ) a week. With the help of all of ya’ll, I CAN do this.

Good luck to us all!

What an exciting day! I always love going to SFO to pick up people!!! :)

I’m not officially participating in the challenge, but my goal is to keep making health my priority in the next few weeks when life gets hectic. That means daily workouts and meal planning.

6. Dawne says:

How did Katey’s homecoming go? Thanks for those simple tips to reduce calories.

I like the concept of saving 100 calories a day with just a small change in either less calories or more activity. The problem seems to be, in the real world, that even if it seems so simple, it doesn’t seem to work! What people tend to do is if they cut back here, or are little more active, they eat more there or more to make up for the extra activity. The real key is to set eating limits and even if you are still hungry, stop eating!

8. Tarri says:

My small change goal for this week is to eat some kind of vegetable with dinner every night. I am not a fan of them so this will be difficult but I am determined to try! Happy Birthday to your hubby and enjoy your time with your daughter.

9. Val says:

My small change this week is to track each and every meal, snack and beverage!

Congrats on your daughter’s homecoming-what a wonderful day :)

How exciting Katy is coming home!! Have so much fun with her – we’ll be here when you get back! :D

11. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

How exciting to have your girl home again. :) Enjoy your time with her!!!

12. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

What a wonderful challenge. I love your list of how to burn or save 100 calories. Excellent!

I’m also very excited that your daughter is coming home! I’m sure she had a marvelous time!

13. Marsial2010 says:

My small change challenge to myself this week is to sit less (not counting sitting on my bicycle seat while pedaling). I’ll post more about it on my blog.

14. Kim says:

My small change is to get 6 glasses of water in a day, before I have anything else. Also Tami, i was going to make your grilled chicken marinade but could not fine the herb de provence, I thought it was something you could buy, lookslike I need to make it ahead of time.

1. Kim says:

Chicken was still good without the herbs de provence……how do you make your herb de provence?

I buy the herbs de provence at the grocery store, Cost Plus Imports, Willliams Sonoma and recently I found a huge container of it at Costco.

Here is a link to the post where I talked about it and showed a photo.

2. AmyH says:

I found it at Whole foods.

15. Twix says:

Here’s my first check in, sorry I’ve been tardy. :) http://twixmonoxcide.blogspot.com/2011/06/small-change-challenge.html

Sounds like you will be having an exciting time with her coming home. Has to be a very HAPPY moment!!

16. AmyH says:

My small change this week is to do my ab-doer everyday and drink 8 glasses +plus everyday.

17. MB says:

Happy Birthday to your hubby. My small change this week is to increase my water intake. It is so important to stay hydrated and it has so many benefits. You can see my SCC kickoff post at http://finallyfiguringitout.blogspot.com/2011/06/small-change-challenge.html

Have fun with Katy!

18. teresa says:

My small change is about making a bit of time to connect with myself each day. I already found it challenging on day one. But my tea is steeping and I’m going out into the sunshine for 10 minutes with it.
    here’s my first post: http://momgrooves.com/2011/05/small-change-challenge/

19. Jeannette says:

Great ideas. Here are my goals. See you tomorrow for how I’m doing. http://ahippowithaheadband.blogspot.com/2011/05/small-change-challenge.html

20. Amanda says:

My small change goal for this week has been to not drink any soda. Even though I think everything is ok in moderation, I tend to increase it as I go along and I stop drinking enough water, the pop then makes me bloated and may also make me hungrier. I will be posting this to my blog later today.

21. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Tami!! Sorry I am so behind on my blog reading and I know you left me a few messages about the challenge, too! I’m not officially participating, but I will be following along and trying to make small changes myself! I love this idea and it is often the best way for me to get back on track when I’ve gone off the “healthy living” way. Focusing on one small change at a time makes it not so overwhelming!

Yay for Katy coming home and Happy Birthday to Tom!

22. Roni says:

WOW SO many exciting things! Love the change challenge too!