Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream

Home made strawberry ice cream has been on my mind for weeks! I have a really awesome full fat recipe for it but since I’m in a weight loss mode I wanted to keep the fat and calories low. After a little Internet research I discovered that lite coconut milk can be used with fruit to make a creamy ice cream!

This was a huge hit with the family! Everything gets tossed in the blender, pureed, then poured into an ice cream maker if you have one. No ice cream maker, no problem, just pour the mixture into a freezer safe container. Freeze for a couple hours, remove it from the freezer, stir and serve. I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker that has a bowl that you freeze. With two of the bowls I can always have one  bowl ready in the freezer to go. In 30 minutes you have a smooth, creamy, fruity ice cream. Look how pretty this is!

Right out of the machine it’s soft serve consistency. At this point I divided it into 8 freezer safe containers – great for portion control and popped them directly in the freezer. Later we removed them from the freezer, let them sit for 10 minutes, stirred to break up any ice crystals and enjoyed. It is more like a sorbet really than an ice cream. The perfect summer treat!.Fabulous! This would be good with so many different fruits, mango, peaches, raspberries – yum! Daughter Katy said that I need to make more low calorie, healthy treats like this and stock up the freezer.

Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream

• 1 pound fresh strawberries, rinsed, stems removed
  • 1 can lite coconut milk (Trader Joe’s Lite coconut milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup Agave Nectar – or to taste (honey or sugar would also work) how much depends on how sweet the fruit is.

Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. My Blentec blender pretty much takes care of the seeds but if you use a regular blender you will most likely still have seeds. If you wish, pour the mixture through a strainer to capture the seeds before you freeze it into ice cream.

Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures instructions.

*If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can pour the mixture into a shallow freezer safe container, cover and freeze for two hours. Remove from freezer and let thaw slightly, stir to break up any ice crystals and serve.

Yield: 8 Servings  Serving Size: 1/2 cup

Per Serving; 80 Calories, 2.6 g fat, 14.8 g carbs, 1.9 g fiber, o protein  WWPP 2

Inspired by a Cooking Light Recipe for Mango-Coconut Sherbet

Over the weekend I managed to try a few new recipes! This week I will be sharing a recipe for what my daughter Katy says is the best turkey burger I have ever made-wow that’s high praise as she is a tough food critic! A raw kale slaw that I threw together on Saturday was another winner. In fact it was so good I’m going to make another bowl of it today!

Don’t forget that Wednesday is the last check in for the Small Change Challenge! Some people have dropped out of the challenge so those of you who are still in the game have even better odds of winning one of the prizes!

Sunday after church we ate at an Indian restaurant with some friends. I had to try the Biryani so I could compare it to the one I recently made. Hubby Tom and I both prefer my version! The restaurant one was very good but my home version seemed to have more complex flavors.

We also sampled papadom for the first time, it’s a cracker/flat bread made from lentils or chick peas. Papadom is served with chutney or spicy dips as an appetizer and it was delicious. I found some recipes for making your own papadom and it looks like fun! One more recipe in my “to try” pile! Hubby Tom and I are enjoying Indian food and I plan on experimenting more at home with healthy versions of it. Now that I have an assortment of Indian spices in my pantry it’s easier to dabble in Indian inspired cuisine.

This morning I headed out for my morning walk alone but on my way back daughter Katy and I met up as she decided to also go for a walk. I decided to continue on with her so I ended up getting in about 5 miles total!  The time goes by fast when you have someone to chat with. That get’s me off to a great start on my exercise this week!

To your health!

What’s the best thing you ate over the weekend?

Do you have an ice cream maker?

1. upinthecosmos says:

That looks awesome! I will definitely need to give this a try sometime soon!

Oh – yum!!! And I am looking forward to the turkey burger recipe. I can’t remember what I ate!

3. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I’ve been seeing recipes for Biryani all over the place lately! I’m so glad to have access to your light version! Gotta pick up some saffron!

I will have to make this fruit “ice cream” for my daughter this summer! I’d love to do one with cherries and chocolate chips as an ode to the Ben & Jerry’s, Cherry Garcia.

Looking forward to the turkey burger recipe! My husband prefers turkey burgers to beef!

4. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

Really, really liking the stats on that ice cream! I too, have been searching for a good recipe that is low in cals for my cuisinart ice cream maker! I am soooo making this…maybe even tonight…just picked up a bunch of fresh strawberries…but maybe I will add blueberries and raspberries too…hmmmmm…the possiblities! Thanks
    Tami!

That looks delcious – I actually prefer sorbets to ice cream. I have an icecream maker – I need to pull it out – its still in my basement from winter hibernation!

6. Ann says:

The best thing I ate over the weekend was a salad I made with spring greens, strawberries, feta cheese, bell peppers and orange cranberry peppered pecans. I got the pecans at Costco and I never eat them because I don’t want the calories, but a few sprinkle in the salad was fabulous.

I tracked my water this week and I have cooked a couple of times and it is helping re-energize my thoughts on food.

I have an ice cream maker, but honestly I rarely use it. This recipe may have inspired me to start. I bought a new Popsicle gadget at William-Sonoma this weekend and can’t wait for the kids to try it out. The only way I can get my 6 year old to eat yogurt is frozen and she doesn’t like milk much so that helps get at least some healthy calcium in her.

Ann your salad is right up my alley, love all the goodies you had in it. Yum!

7. Dawn says:

Tami this looks amazing. I don’t have an ice cream maker but I swear I need to get one as I’ve seen so many amazing recipes recently.
    Hmm…the best thing I ate? I think my adobo whitefish with the beans and rice. I was really excited about how awesome it turned out. We went out to dinner a few times but sadly nothing is standing out.

We have a really good local restaurant that serves an awesome Asian Chicken Salad. I craved that dish the entire time we were in Colorado, so couldn’t wait to get there once we got home. We had Sunday lunch there yesterday and I finally got my Asian Chicken Salad. It was worth the wait.

We do not have an ice cream freezer. Got one for a wedding gift 34 years ago, used it till it died, but for some reason, have never replaced it.

I like a good Asian Chicken salad too. Might be time to buy a new ice cream maker. The ones out now have a bowl you freeze, no ice or salt required, it couldn’t be easier to use or clean up!

Oh, that looks good. I’ve got everything except the strawberries, and I’m headed to the grocery tomorrow! :)

My best thing from the weekend was fresh watermelon. Nothing better on a summer day, except maybe this ice cream.

HOLY YUM on that ice cream!!! I don’t have a blender per se so… might have to find one on sale!

Can’t wait to see the turkey burger recipe!!

Wahoo for your walk!!!!

Looks delicious! Time to dust off my ice cream maker!

Best thing I ate over the weekend…breakfast for dinner!!

Carol we love to have breakfast for dinner! For some reason it really hits the spot! Yes, if you have an ice cream maker you really should pull it out and whip up some low calorie treats! It’s so easy and the results are amazing.

12. Maxine says:

This looks delicious, I want to try it soon. Do you have a recipe for Chicken Saagwalla(sp?). It is chicken with a creamy spinach sauce. It is so delicious, it must have a ton of calories. I am hoping you might have a recipe that is WW friendly.

Thanks Maxine! I have never heard of Saagwalla but it sounds delicious. I will keep it in mind and if I come across a recipe for it I’ll be sure to give it a try.

13. Lindsey @ Why Just Eat says:

My 5 year old daughter and I made these into popsicles and they were a hit!

Thank you for letting me know! What a great idea!