Uncured Peppered Turkey Bacon!

I love bacon and it’s one food item I just won’t give up! However; I do try to make my choice of bacon a healthier one. Should healthy and bacon even be used in the same sentence? 🙂  Yes, it is still loaded with sodium and no, it’s not health food, it is after all bacon!

A favorite summer meal for me is BLT’s with avocado, using fresh tomatoes from the farmer’s market. In the past year we have tried to stop using cured meats because of the health risks. There are so many delicious uncured bacons, canadian bacon, lunch meats and hot dogs available. You can read my previous post about cured meats here.

When we tried this uncured peppered turkey bacon from Trader Joe’s we loved it! It’ doesn’t get as crispy as traditional bacon but the flavor is amazing and it makes a delicious BLT! Everything is better with a little bacon!

The nutritional stats are pretty good too!

The package says 8 servings of 1 slice each but it usually contains 10 slices.

This is a food find, something that I found at the store and paid for. I was in no way compensated for this review, nor was I given this food item for free.

Things are going to be a little crazy around our house this week! We got a call on Friday saying that the painters schedule had opened up and they could begin both our interior and exterior painting jobs Monday! We spent the weekend getting the bathrooms and our Master closet cleaned out and prepped. I had no idea how much “stuff” we had in our closet!

The painters arrived this morning and have begun work on the master bath/walk in closet and the downstairs bathroom. They are leaving the other bathroom for later in the week as we need one bathroom that still is still functional! The walls are being textured and painted so it is a 3 -4 day process.

The mess has just begun! The clutter and chaos that this creates causes me to feel uneasy. A place for everything and everything in it’s place makes me feel peaceful and calm. This is a test of patience for me! I am telling myself to breathe deeply, relax and go with the flow. Hubby Tom told me to think about how beautiful everything will look when it’s all said and done. I’m trying to, really I am, but it’s difficult!

I baked cookies this morning and shared them with the paint crew. They told me they had just been talking about how good it smelled in here! When we have work done around the house I always like to feed the workers. I think they often go unappreciated and it’s a random act of kindness that goes a long way! I didn’t even taste the cookie dough! Yeah for me!

My morning walk didn’t happen this morning as we had last minute things to do before they arrived. I will try to go later this afternoon or perhaps this evening.

Breathing deeply,

What food won’t you give up even though it’s maybe not so healthy?

Does clutter bother you?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Jan says:

When we had all our bedrooms and baths repainted 2 years ago (and carpet replaced with wood), it was SO worth the inconvenience once completed. I loved repositioning furniture, rehanging art, pulling out old art, and framing some new pieces.

Some clutter drives me nuts other clutter seems to be just they way I live. My desk for instance – papers are filed vertically in several stacks in a system only I understand but the rest of the surface needs to be straight. Mess in the kitchen – no way. My jewelry box has been undergoing renovation for 2 months, drives my spouse nuts! We all have our clutter tolerances.

Regarding bacon – I am not afraid of fat (except trans fats) in moderation. It’s sugar that gets my body out of whack.

Sounds like your renovations went well! I know it’s going to look awesome here once it’s done. I just not good with the time from now to completion!

Sugar does a number on me too!

I hope you are having a great week!

2. fittingbackin says:

Clutter does bother me to no end – I attack it! haha

you are SO SWEET to make cookies for them!

3. Ann says:

As time goes on, I am more bothered by clutter than I used to be, but with 3 kids, clutter is a way of life. I refuse to give up and I keep working a little at a time on simplifying our household mess.

I too love BLTs in the summer. I’ve never tried uncured, but I’m willing to if I can find some. I don’t know that there is anything I absolutely will not give up except maybe my coffee. I want my coffee. Other than that, I can give up most anything. Of course there are many things I don’t want to give up, but that’s another story.

Good luck on the painting. I’m sure you’ll love it when it’s done.

I am with you on the coffee Ann! I have my morning coffee without fail!

Yes indeed, having kids equals extra clutter!

We did a major remodel when the toddler was just a tiny baby. Our house is very small, and there was chaos everywhere. I felt I was going insane… I agree with your husband, focusing on how beautiful everything will be once it’s done does help though! 🙂

I love cheese, and I won’t give it up. I do watch my portions carefully however and eat lower fat versions if they are good.

I like some cheese and Cabot lite cheddar is a favorite around here! I also like the light Laughing Cow cheese wedges.

I am not a bacon fan but the stats are pretty good on that TJ’s stuff.

Me, not willing to give up my treat cookies & not willing to give up my bread even though I eat healthy bread.

I don’t like clutter but I am a clutterer – if that is a word. I need to break it! 😉

LOL at you and your cookie treats Jody! You have found your balance with food and I so admire you for that!

6. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Hang in there, Tami! It will all be worth it!

I love pork in all it’s glory and fattiness. It’s worth the extra workout. 🙂

Yes, I love pork too!

HATE clutter. Can not say that strongly enough. As for what won’t I give up… I’m beginning to think that I would give up anything. Honestly. Because, as the saying goes, nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

8. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Hi Tami!!!!

I love that Trader Joe’s bacon! It crisps up so nicely in the microwave!

Good luck with the painting!

Hey I haven’t tried the bacon in the microwave but if it gets crispy I will have to try that cooking method. Thanks Marisa!

9. Roz says:

Hi Tami, hope the renos/paint goes well and quickly. I won’t give up cheese but weigh the portions out, and I love a glass of wine and don’t want to give that up either. ONE glass….it’s plenty!! Have a great day.

Cheese and wine-sounds like a good combo!

Mmmmm, that bacon looks delicious!! I can’t say that I actually give up any food but the really unhealthy ones I limit. I do try to stay away from the cookies, etc with all the unknown ingredients in them and I do bake my own.

Clutter drives me crazy! I’m living right now with no window coverings on some of the windows…getting ready to paint the trim. So I have mini blinds and curtain rods all over the house. Curtains i managed to wash, iron and drape over hangers.
    But, as you will enjoy your newly painted house, I too shall enjoy the finished look of my new windows!

I bet you can’t wait for those windows to be all done so you hang everything back up! It will be nice when it’s all done and you are so lucky that your hubby is handy around the house!

I occasionally make Smart Bacon for a friend. Actually, I made an avocado and bacon salad with it way before Subway ever had the idea 🙂

It’s still way to salty for me, but she likes it.

I don’t know about Smart Bacon but I am going to Google it!

Tami, just think of it as temporary chaos! It will look great when its done, but my daughter is just like you, so I know its hard to look at the big picture.

I love that bacon – need to make a trip to TJ’s this weekend too! 😀

14. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

“The clutter and chaos that this creates causes me to feel uneasy. A place for everything and everything in it’s place makes me feel peaceful and calm. ” I totally could have written this Tami!

I do the same as you….bake for the workers whenever we have work done. lol

That bacon is awesome! It isn’t really close to real bacon, but I think in a class on it’s own. It is delicious though, and I have one last package stashed in the freezer. I bought three of them the last trip I made to TJ’s. LOL