Best Ever New Potatoes & Green Beans

At the Farmer’s Market I am always discovering new vegetables to try. My latest find were these delightful little new potatoes called German Butterball. They have a buttery yellow flesh that makes them ideal for roasting, frying and especially mashed potatoes. The day before my oral surgery I gathered up all of the fresh vegetables I had that needed to be cooked and we had a veggie feast! I did a search for a recipe that would use both the new potatoes and green beans. I stumbled upon a recipe on a new to me blog called Veggie Adventure. New recipes make me happy! Okay I admit that I am a “recipe junkie!”

Talk about an easy recipe. Some of you tell me that you are not that gifted in the kitchen, well if you can boil water you can make this! The potatoes and green beans are cooked in the same pot with the addition of a little bit of sugar. That’s right sugar! It only called for a teaspoon of sugar but I am pretty sensitive to “sweet” flavors so next time I would cut back to half a teaspoon and that would be just right for me.

The recipe called for jarred garlic instead of fresh so I went with it, using Trader Joe’s crushed garlic in a jar. I told you this was an easy recipe! The little potatoes were tender and sweet and were delicious with the green beans.

I cut back on the amount of salt used but I didn’t skip on the two tablespoons of butter. A little butter tastes so good. This was the last good thing I had to eat earlier this week. I am drooling just looking at the photos! If you can’t find German Butterball potatoes use any small new potatoes.

“BEST EVER” NEW POTATOES & GREEN BEANS

• Water to cover both the potatoes and beans
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt (I used 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (next time I would cut back to 1 teaspoon)
  • 1 pound very small potatoes, washed well, skins on
  • 1 pound fresh green beans, stem ends snapped off, broken in half or thirds if long
  • Garlic to taste (I used 1 tablespoon of garlic from a jar, the perfect amount, I’d use maybe a clove or two of fresh garlic, minced very small)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Additional salt to taste

Start the water, salt and sugar to a boil while prepping the potatoes. Add the potatoes as soon as they’re prepped, cover and let cook until nearly done. (Actual time will vary based on the size and density of the potatoes. The tiny potatoes from Summit took only about 20 minutes.) Add the beans, return to a boil and cook for about 7 minutes or until the beans are well-cooked but still bright green. Drain. Return to the hot pot and toss with garlic and butter. Add salt if needed.

Yield: 8 servings

Per Serving: 157 Cal (17% from Fat, 9% from Protein, 75% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 1 g Mono Fat; 31 g Carb; 6 g Fiber; NetCarb25; 2 g Sugar; 43 mg Calcium; 5 mg Iron; 16 mg Sodium; 8 mg Cholesterol; WWPP 4

Adapted From A Veggie Adventure

I have been getting some questions about my gum surgery that I would like to clear up. First let me say that I do not have nor did I ever have periodontal disease. I had receding gum tissue on my front lower teeth that resulted from using a stiff bristled tooth brush and over brushing in my late teens. The gum tissue on my front lower teeth was already compromised when I started the Invisalign teeth straightening treatment. Of course the movement of the teeth disrupted the gum tissue further and because the tissue had begun to recede years ago the tissue could not recover.

Once my front teeth were straight and in alignment it was very clear that I needed a gum tissue graft to prevent any further problems in the future. Eventually I may have needed a tissue graft even if I hadn’t had my teeth straightened but I’ll never know for sure.

Would I do it all over again? Absolutely! I am so happy to have straight teeth!

My recovery is rolling along.  An assortment of soups, fat free Greek yogurt with pureed fruit, mashed potatoes and smoothies are my current diet. Smoothies are tasty but they are not like eating a meal. I crave savory flavors and I am day dreaming about all the awesome foods I want to have on my plate again. Oh, what I would give to eat a huge green salad! Eat a salad in honor of me today!

I can’t wait to “bite” my way through a real meal. I don’t have much of an appetite which is good but you all know how much I love cooking and eating so this is a real test of my patience. I’m afraid to get on the scale with so much couch time this week. Tomorrow I will try and go for a gentle walk and burn some extra calories.

In case you were wondering, the bruising is quite colorful at this point! I am sporting a rainbow of colors on my chin.

Missing munching,

Do you shop at Farmer’s Markets or perhaps grow your own veggies?

Tried any new recipes lately?

I was thinking about you and your mouth today when I lost a crown! Nothing like what you are going through but all I can think about is my mouth and what I’m going to be able to eat. Can’t wait for the weekend to be over, sadly, so I can get in to the dentist!

Oh Karen I am so sorry for you! You can join myself, Cammy and Jody on the soft foods diet! Seems like we have a little club going here, not that anyone else is going to “want” to join us! Hope you can get in to see your dentist first thing Monday morning (most of them have a time slot built into the schedule for emergencies) and will soon be on the road to recovery!

2. Jan says:

Glad you are getting better and tolerating no munching with lack of appetite.

Growing up in Texas, green beans and new potatoes were a staple, but they usually were started in a base of bacon grease :) I still love ‘em but alas no taters for me – too much starch gets my carb tasters going (and my insulin surging). But green beans with garlic, onions, salt and butter – you bet!

Farmer’s markets are in abundance here, and we go more often in the not so hot months. It’s hard to grow veggies here without much effort to make raised beds and keep the rabbits and javalina out of the plants. You can get 3 crops of tomatoes easily though if you want!

Heal up soon! Headed to the market now for some fresh greens.

“Bacon Grease” oh yum! I love me some bacon – uncured of course! I love to go see all the fruits and veggies and talk to the growers as I make my purchases. At the market I go to there is a guy playing the guitar and singing and it adds so much to the shopping experience. What is javalina?

Have fun at the Farmers Market Jan!

You mean the potatoes and green beans are touching? *shudder* :) I do like the looks of the recipe, so maybe I’ll cook them together and then fish the potatoes out to serve separately.

It’s amazing how the act of *chewing* food is important in the dining experience. The smoothies and other concoctions I’ve eaten over the past few weeks have been tasty and technically filling, but without the act of chewing, I felt deprived after a while.

Oh Cammy you are so right about how the lack of “chewing” leaves out an important part of the eating experience. The lack of variety is really killing me as well. I am so use to eating a wide variety of foods, textures, colors and flavors! I do feel deprived!

How much longer will you be on a soft foods diet? I am thinking that next week I will be able to stand to “chew” something on the softer side. At least that is what I am hoping for.

It looks like Karen is joining our soft foods club this weekend as she lost a crown and Jody has oral surgery on Monday so she will also be a member!

Hope you are having an amazing weekend!

YUM on the green bean recipe!!!!

Glad you are getting better but sorry it is still ongoing! I am hoping my work is not as bad since it is not what you had done but who knows…. I have stuff being done on both sides on my mouth & both upper & lower so I may be sipping for a bit! ;-)

I tried a new muffin recipe that I will be posting about this week.

Take care!

5. Dawn says:

Wow you scored at the farmers market! I love shopping at FMs and, of course, I can’t wait for my CSA to start back up. I’ve tried all kinds of new recipes lately but mainly because of my new animal-free diet I started up going on about five weeks ago now. Feeling amazing!!

6. Judi says:

The green beans and potatoes look amazing! Looks like another one of your recipes is going in my file!! Thank you so much.
    Glad you are making it through this difficult time. Reminds me of when my daughter had her widom teeth out and lived on mashed potatoes and gravy for days…….now she wants nothing to do with them!! Soft foods are great, but there’s nothing like chewing on something crunchy!
    Take care!

7. Kim says:

We make a similar version of this and include turkey kilbasa. Just cut up and cook in the skillet then add to the potatoes and green beans…..yum! Will try the sugar as we make this week! Thanks!

I like the addition of the sausage to your dish!

8. erica says:

Hope you had a wonderful weekend! This potatoes and green beans looks absolutely amazing! I am definitely making this for dinner tonight yum!

xo

9. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami, glad you are on the mend!! Chin up my blog friend, you’ll be having salad again in NO time!!! :) Great looking recipe, and love looking at the farmer’s market finds!! Take care, have a good Monday!!!

10. Autumn @ Good Eats Girl says:

This recipe looks amazing! I’m definitely going to try it out!

So glad that your recovery is going well! Hopefully it will go by quickly!

11. Ann says:

We have a TON of cucumbers in our garden this year and the watermelons are starting to ripen. We’ve not had many tomatoes this year, too hot I guess. I love the idea of garlic chunks to switch up the taste of this staple. We’ll try that soon.