Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream & Hiking Mount Tamalpais

This fresh strawberry ice cream recipe comes from my mom and it is fabulous! It does contain full fat whipping cream but the nutritional stats aren’t too bad all things considered. Once in a while a real indulgence is called for, don’t you think? This is hands down one of the best home made ice creams you will ever eat!

Use the sweetest fresh berries you can find.

Just the dessert you need to keep you cool.

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream

• 1 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 pint fresh strawberries

In saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until it bubbles around the edge. Remove from heat stir in sugar and salt, stirring until dissolved. Stir in cream and vanilla, move to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate or at least 30 minutes. In blender process strawberries until smooth. Pour chilled milk mixture and berries into the prepared freezer container of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.

Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 1/2 cup

Per Serving: 168 Calories; 11g Fat (58.2% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 41mg Cholesterol; 61mg Sodium. WWPP 5

Recipe Adapted from Better Homes and Garden

Hiking Mount Tamalpais was our shortest hiking day at 1 1/2 hours but we needed a day of rest. Located just North of the Golden Gate bridge the view from the top is usually amazing but the day we were there a huge fog bank was moving in obstructing much of the view! Even so it was fun. Some of the trails at Mount Tam hook up with trails from Muir Woods.

This is a firefighter look out at the top of Mount Tam. A Marin County fire fighter hiked up behind us to take his post and realized that he had lost his T-shirt he was holding on the hike, so he asked us to look for it on our way down and hand it off to the next people hiking up! We did just that and a little boy with his parents was delighted to make the delivery!
We left Mount Tam and made our way to Point Reyes to a cute B&B called Point Reyes Station Inn. The rooms are in a separate building from the owner’s home so you have more privacy. The guest house has a full kitchen you can use if you desire. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to cook or do dishes when I am on vacation. In Marin county the focus is on healthy locally grown organic food and it was so easy to eat out and make healthy choices.

We enjoyed a lovely dinner at Stellina which specializes using local organic food. Everything from the salad to dessert was amazing! Sorry I didn’t take any photos, I was relaxing and enjoying every bite! After dinner we made our way out to the beach to catch the sunset. It was cold and windy so I really bundled up with as many layers as I could fit under my jacket!

When on vacation do you want a break from cooking or do you prefer having cooking facilities so you can eat in and control the quality of your food?

If we can get healthy food in the local restaurants I am happy to let someone else do the cooking and clean up. We always take a cooler packed with healthy options to supplement our meals. We also seek out a grocery store or health food store to purchase yogurt and fresh fruit.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 ping

1. Roz says:

Hi Tami. Wow….what beautiful photos! Looks like a wonderful getaway! (especially love the footprint shot at the end!!) Have a great day.

2. leslie says:

Yesterday’s and today’s pictures are just gorgeous, Tami. I’ve never been to California and it’s at the top of my dream destination list! Did I tell you I have a son living in Cal. now, working on an organic farm near Sacramento? He’s really enjoying it and loves California. There are 6 interns on this farm (of which he’s one of 4 guys – the other 2 are gals!) and they get along great and do stuff together all the time when not farming! We’ll be heading out to see him probably in early October. Can’t wait. 🙂

The ice cream looks great though we don’t have an ice cream maker. Trust me, it’s better that I don’t have one!

Leslie I had no idea that your son was near by! Sounds like a wonderful experience for him. We are located in a great area, 90 minutes to the mountains and 90 minutes to the ocean! So many place to visit and a wide variety of activities at our finger tips! I’m so glad you get to come and see him and October is usually very nice weather here.

Beautiful! Well, since I don’t like to cook at home, you might guess I don’t like to do it on vacation either:) But I do appreciate a fridge and microwave for easy, healthy breakfasts and snacking.

I like a fridge and microwave too!

4. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

What amazing pictures… My little man would eat all that ice cream up. Looks so yummy…

5. fittingbackin says:

I take a break from cooking if I fly somewhere, if I drive I pre-cook it and take it all with me!

Looks like a great trip – still can’t believe you make your own ice cream.

Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures!! I liked the picture of the footprints.

We almost always rent a house that has a full kitchen, not so much to control what we eat, but as a cost savings – we typically will only eat one meal out a day on vacation. 😀

What a gorgeous sunset! (Well, all the scenery is beautiful, but I love sunrises and sunsets.)

I don’t cook on vacation. I do like to have yogurt and fruit in the room, but for meals, I want to get out and about!

8. Janine says:

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous pictures. You can already guess–I like both options. I NEED a coffee maker, micro and refrig. That’ll get me by for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, we like going out and finding new places.

We like to take a few things for our own breakfast or if where we are staying has a continental breakfast we will pick and choose some fruit and protein from it. We usually go light for one of the other meals and then have a bigger dinner. If we are doing a lot of hiking we usually end up eating only 2 meals a day.

9. Judy says:

So fun to see your photos and hear about your journeys–(food & vacation).
    I like to pack some food as a back-up so I don’t find myself hungry at a time I can’t eat healthy! But still enjoy the splurge of a little vacation food!!

Can’t wait to try the Roasted Chickpeas recipe–they look yummy!

10. Ann says:

What lovely pictures! The one of you in the jacket has me jealous since our temps have been 102-103! When I vacation sometimes it’s good to cook and sometimes I like to relax and not cook. The problem with eating out every meal is I get tired of it pretty quick. PLUS with 3 kids it isn’t exactly RELAXING most of the time. So usually when we’re on trips with the kids it’s nice to have a kitchen, at least part of the time. I really need to try one of these ice cream recipes!

1. Birthday Adventures in Lake Tahoe & Planning for Surgery… » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] am going to stock up the freezer by making some home made frozen yogurt today and perhaps some strawberry ice cream or strawberry coconut ice cream and make a grocery store run for soft foods. Then clean my house […]