Taking it one sip at a time!

The oral surgery went well. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I could feel a lot of pressure on my jaw at the beginning of the procedure and I could feel the last few stitches being done! Other than that it was tolerable. The pain set in right away and I used ice packs and pain pills the rest of the day and all night long. Having a set of new retainers also added an element of pain as they were really tight to begin with but have since loosened up a little.

I have these lovely flowers to enjoy. So elegant! The perfect distraction.

Day one post surgery didn’t go so great. The pain meds didn’t agree with me and that resulted in nausea, vomiting and dizziness! Taking pain pills on an empty tummy during the night didn’t help. The side affects were worse than the pain so once I stopped taking the pain medicine things improved overall.

It’s day two post gum surgery and things are looking up! There is discomfort and swelling at this point but not as much pain as I thought there would be. I have some facial swelling even though I am using ice packs and frozen peas-the best ice pack ever! Thank you Karen from Waisting Time for reminding me that a bag of frozen peas are a good ice pack. I can mold them around my chin!  The one great thing about swelling is all my frown lines are gone and my skin looks smooth! Ha ha! So far there is only a little bit of bruising.

More flowers to distract me!  They smell so sweet.

My limited menu includes smoothies. Jan from Writing to Wellness gave me her awesome high protein smoothie recipe. It makes a huge amount so I have some for breakfast and save the rest for lunch. Some mashed potatoes hit the spot for lunch day two. I want more savory food so I am going to try to eat some split pea soup for dinner. Last night I was watching the TV Food Network and even though I don’t have an appetite, it was pure torture to look at all that good food!

Jan’s High Protein Smoothie

1 cup of Fage Greek Yogurt , I use the fat free  (high in protein)

6 ounces nonfat milk

1 cup frozen berries

A few drops of NuNaturals Stevia sweetener, or sweetener of your choice.

I also added a frozen banana, a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a cup of ice. Put in a blender and process.

Delicious!

I am not going to get the posts up this week that I had planned after all. Big surprise right? I always have high hopes that my recovery will move along faster than reality allows! This down time will allow me to catch up on reading my magazines. I currently get O magazine, Cooking Light and Clean Eating. I sometimes pick up Readers Digest, Eating Well, Weight Watchers or Real Simple magazine at the grocery store. Yes, I know they are mostly food related! Cooking is my hobby-what can I say!

Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could fast forward through the rough patches in life?

Thank you to everyone for your well wishes, prayers, soft food ideas and sweet comments you have left me!

What’s the best thing you have eaten this week?

What magazines do you like to read?

1. Jan says:

Sorry you are having so much pain. Don’t let it get out of control! Glad you are enjoying the gi-normous smoothie. It has been the most comforting food for me post-surgery over the last 2 months.

Here’s a toast of something soothing to you healing up soon so you can get back to cooking and eating your yummy recipes!

2. Roni says:

That looks amazing! I just bought some greek yogurt too!

I hope you feel better.

Oh! and you listed all my fav mags! :)

Thank you for the well wishes Roni!

3. Nancy says:

Glad the surgery is over and went well. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

One of my favorite magazines is Country. The photography is stunning and I always come away feeling the warm fuzzies after reading or browsing through it.

The best thing I had to eat today was a perfectly ripe peach bought at the farmer’s market.

Oh a perfectly ripe peach is amazing! I can almost taste it! I think I will need to make a peach smoothie – thanks for the great idea.

4. Leslie says:

I just read your last post and this one – somehow I’d missed your birthday (happy Belated!) post and discussion about your oral surgery. Today’s post shot me right back there. Best part is that it’s over! I hope your days continue to improve and that you are solidly moving away from the post-op discomfort. I was particularly interested in this because I have an upcoming dentist app’t and I’m dreading it! Just don’t like my teeth being dealt with.

Your Tahoe pictures are amazing, and so nice to see your beautiful family. Looks like a perfect way to spend a birthday.

You listed my favorite mags also – occasionally as a guilty pleasure, I pick up a current copy of People, too. Feel better!

Leslie we have dental phobia in common! I get a little sick to my tummy every time I have to go to the dentist. With the braces that was once a month!

Thanks for the well wishes. I am better every day! Enjoy your weekend.

Hope you are feeling better soon Tami! Know what you’re going through….similar for me last year!
    The best thing I have eaten this week was Eggs Benny for dinner last night. I know it will change though as I am making your fish tacos tonight.

I read the Weight Watchers magazine and subscribe to a couple of the Taste of Home.

I remember when you were on a soft foods diet Carol. It’s boring really fast! Eggs Benny sounds wonderful.

Sorry it was awful after surgery – hope you are able to rest this weekend! Magazine reading is always fun. Cooking light is still my favorite.

7. Ann says:

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. Hopefully it will all be better soon. I love the flowers! The best thing I’ve eaten this week were fresh cucumbers from my garden with a little balsamic. I read BH&G and Southern Living and Entertainment Weekly.

Glad you are post surgery and on the mend. I wish I could have been more helpful with suggesting Mortin post up, not a narcotic. Hopefully you will improve each day!

Best!!

Dr J I have been doing so much better with just a little Motrin now and then. Thanks for the well wishes!

9. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami, AWWW sending a hug your way. Hope you feel better VERY VERY soon!!! The best thing I’ve eaten this week? Hmm…probably an egg wrap for breakfast one day. It was gooood. And magazines? I’m an addict too. I read all that you do, as well as Bon Appetite, Women’s Health and two Canadian magazines, Chatelaine and Canadian Living. (and just to dispell the stereotype, there are no recipes for beaver or moose burgers in either of the last two. :) Joking – eh! ) Take care Tami!!!

What? No beaver or moose recipes! LOL! Thanks for making me smile Roz. I sometimes get recipes from Canadian Living on line – love new recipes you know!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Tami – I so hope you are better soon! UGH! I am scared now since I have to go Monday for some oral surgery. I had is scheduled for yesterday so I would have the weekend to recoup but they changed it to Monday which will obviously interfere with my workouts which ticks me off! You know me – always scheduling so I can get my workouts in. I was mad cause I scheduled way in advance & they changed it!

OK, you just get better soon – I got off on a tangent! ;-)

Jody, I am so sorry your appointment was changed and will mess with your work outs. That is a bummer! Best wishes to you for your oral surgery. I guess you can join Cammy and I with the soft foods diet!

11. Gina (The Candid RD) says:

I’m glad you are healing well. I didn’t even know you were having surgery…and on your gums? Not fun, I’m sure, but that protein smoothie sounds delicious. I could live with that for a while!
    The best thing I’ve had to eat this week was my meal last night, at a restaurant called Barcelona. It was shrimp and veggies with a buttery and herb sauce. Amazing. But not as good as a nice high protein smoothie…of course ;)

Shrimp and veggies with a buttery herb sauce-you are killing me here! Drool! I can only dream of such delicious food as I sit here sipping yet another smoothie.

I hope you feel better soon! Some lounging around and being waited on sound like just the thing for you now:)

Hope you are feeling better!!! Enjoy the magazines! :)

Glad you are recuperating nicely, my sister in grafting. The non-prescription route worked better for me, too.

My favorite new-to-me food this week was the Apple Wasa I blogged about the other day, made with cottage cheese, apples and sliced apples. Runner-up was the cottage cheese pancake recipe offered by Lori in her blog comments on that post. (It would probably have been first if I hadn’t used a too-small pan to cook it in. :))

Hope you have a wonderful and healing weekend!

Thank you “sister!” The apple wasa sounds amazing and I can’t wait until I can manage a little more “chew.” I did take note of that cottage cheese panckae offered by Lori and will give it a go as soon as I can take a bite of something.

For something new to eat today, I nuked a sweet potato, peeled it and then through it in the Blendtec blender with 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese and a little milk and made it nice and smooth. I know it sounds strange but I heated it up and felt like I had something really special! The cottage cheese made it all creamy and smooth and it was quite satisfying.