Tzatziki sauce is a simple mixture of shredded cucumber, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, garlic and we like it with a little fresh dill as well. It’s cool and refreshing! If you have any kabobs left over use them in a pita bread or flat bread with the sauce and some shredded lettuce for a fabulous sandwich the next day!
Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
- • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- • 2 teaspoons olive oil
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 4 garlic cloves, minced
- • 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- • 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- red onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- red, green and yellow bell peppers cut into 1 inch pieces
- • Cooking spray
• Tzatziki Sauce:
- • 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
- • 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig of fresh dill, chopped
To prepare souvlaki, combine the first 5 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to combine. Add chicken to bag; seal and shake to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once. * I marinated it for 2 hours.
Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread the chicken and vegetables, alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
Heat a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once. Hubby Tom grilled these on the outdoor gas grill for about 10 minutes, turning a few times.
To prepare tzatziki sauce, combine cucumber, yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 garlic clove, stirring well, add chopped fresh dill if desired. Serve the tzatziki sauce with souvlaki.
I doubled this recipe when I made it and next time I will make even more!
Yield: 2 Servings
Calories 219; fat 4.7g; protein 30.9g; carbs 12.3g; fiber 2.4g; sodium 705mg. WWPP 5
Adapted from Cooking Light
To see where I first posted about this recipe click here.