Turkey Cheese Burgers – Weight Watchers PP 6

Turkey Burgers are one of my favorite easy go to meals for week nights. They go together quickly, take only about 20 minutes to cook in a skillet or on the BBQ. You can make a double batch and freeze them for future use. Serve them up on a whole wheat bun or to save some carbs, place a patty on top of a bed of baby greens. Check out the recipe archives for Burgers and see all the different turkey burger recipes my family enjoys! Not only did I make this new recipe last night but I also made a batch of Katy’s favorites the Asian Burgers.

College classes started again this week so I need to have some items in the freezer so Katy and David can heat and eat when it works for their schedule. After a day of classes and commuting the last thing they want to do when they get home is cook! The key to heating up turkey burgers is to do it on a lower power like 5 in the microwave. It heats them up gently without cooking the life right out of them!

This new Turkey Cheese burger recipe is adapted from an Everyday Food recipe. It called for 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground turkey to make only 4 burgers! That is way to big for me so I made the recipe into 6 patties. These are so moist and full of cheesy goodness! You are going to love them!

At Trader Joe’s I found this Swiss/Gruyere, pre-shredded cheese mix. I keep it in the freezer and pull out just what I need for a recipe. It’s makes for easy prep of recipes like this on week nights.

The blend of cheeses also keeps the cost down. Gruyere can be expensive on it’s own. Trader Joe’s has awesome prices on their cheese selections and if you can’t use them up before they expire just put them in a freezer bag and freeze until you need it. Be sure and print off a copy of my Trader Joe’s Shopping list!

Turkey Cheese Burgers

• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey (93/7)
  • 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese — shredded (or Trader Joe’s Swiss/Gruyere mixed, shredded cheese)
  • 4 each scallions — thinly sliced including the green part
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs, dried
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 1 each garlic clove — minced
  • salt and pepper — to taste (Or use Cavender’s Greek Seasoning – my favorite)

In a medium bowl mix all ingredients with a fork and gently combine. Form into 6 equal size patties. Preheat grill or a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Lightly oil grill or spray pan with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in frying pan, cook turning once until patties are completely cooked through, about 7-10 minutes per side depending on heat source.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving : 229 Calories; 12g Fat; 27g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 277mg Sodium. WWPP 6

Adapted from Everyday Food

I wish I could tell you that we ate healthy while we were out of town but the truth is we ate tons of comfort food! That’s what happens when you are dealing with a lot of stress, in a different time zone and not able to cook your own food or eat at regular times.

Even with my mouth issues going on and the limitations on what I could eat I still managed to come home with a few extra pounds! My sister in law introduced me to Peach Martini’s – oh my goodness they are delicious! I limited myself to one at a time, but I know it was full of calories.

I also enjoyed all of my favorite hometown favorite foods. Since I couldn’t bite into anything I became quite skilled with my fork and knife at cutting everything into pieces! Yes, that was me you saw diligently cutting my favorite Valentino’s pizza, sandwiches, onion chips, Runzas and everything else into little fork fulls of yumminess! Of course my mom made me a belated birthday cake and all of my favorite foods. I enjoyed every fork full!

Back to reality, the bathroom scale and clothes that are a little snug. Hubby Tom and I have resumed our walking routine and even though I am in no mood to cook I am making myself cook healthy meals. Since David started back to college classes this week and Katy has begun her teaching credential program and she starts student teaching during the day and taking classes at night that is good motivation for me to be sure and have healthy meals prepared for them.

As a mom and caregiver, it’s so much easier for me to do what’s right when it’s for someone else!  Why is that?

With summer almost over and Fall just around the corner where are you with your weight, healthy eating and exercise routine?

What are your go to quick meals for weeknights?

1 ping

I really do intend to try making turkey burgers some day. Not sure which ones and I really need to keep the saturated fat as low as possible so maybe no cheese added. My go to meal for when we don’t plan family dinner is currently a whole grain flatbread pizza. Fat free cheese. Still yummy. I have not go-to family meals. That all requires planning for me.

2. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

No clue why it’s easier to cook for a crowd than just ourselves. Luckily you have others to care for! :)

These burgers look terrific! And what a great idea to keep extra cheese in the freezer. I’m always scrambling to find dishes to use up cheese when it’s close to the expiration date. My husband loves turkey burgers.

Oh, and I’ve made your Asian Turkey Burgers and they were a hit! Thanks for sharing them!

The burgers sound good!

Glad you are motivated to cook healthy meals! Even thought the motivation comes from taking care of others… I can relate! :)

This fall, I want to precook a lot more. I usually plan simple, quick meals for week nights, but with our schedules being really busy, it can be tough to get dinner on the table at a reasonable time. I hope that precooking will make things less stressful…

4. Amanda says:

Those sound wonderful! I’ll have to try those some night. Blessedly, my husband doesn’t freak over burgers that aren’t beef.

My “go to” quick meals pretty much all involve chickpeas. I was watching Good Eats and saw you can cook them from dry in the pressure cooker with no soaking, so one night I’ll cook a pound all at once, and make a couple different meals out of them during the week. Handy things, legumes :)

5. marsial2010 says:

That swiss and gruyere blend from TJ’s is my favorite blend. I use it instead of cheddar to make Mac & Cheese — fabulous.

My weight is up, exercise is down, and healthy eating is pretty good. Just eating too much good food, and health issues have curtailed exercise.

Quick meals I make — oh, so many. Here’s a couple: Pork tenderloin coated in cajun seasoning and either lighted sauteed in a little butter or broiled. Served with applesauce and a caulifower/broccoli/carrot frozen veggie blend.

Frozen 5-cheese raviolis with Hunt’s Zesty Spaghetti Sauce and a green salad.

You know, as many ways as I’ve had ground turkey, I don’t think I’ve had a turkey burger! I’m thinking I might try a ground turkey/pepper jack cheese/green chile combination. :)

My go-to meals usually involve chicken. I pre-cook it and wrap servings individually to store in the freezer. Or tuna salad. Or scrambled eggs and toast. Something simple.

7. Ann says:

My eating and exercise are good, but ……..the weight! Not losing like I want. But, I’m going to stay the course. I also like turkey burgers and these look really good. I’ll have to try them. Lately I’m lucky because with all 3 kids in school my Nanny has a little extra time to cook lately so I’ll give her this recipe and she can try it for us. As far as my go to meals- I love honey mustard chicken, very simple and quick. Also I love simple rosemary broiled pork chops which are very quick. We also love taco salad which is very easy.

8. erica says:

I am such a wuss with trying new things. I dont like turkey but now you have me wanting to make these turkey burgers because they look absolutely amazing!

xo

9. Erin says:

I love turkey burgers and am making them for Labor Day! Yum!

xx

Erin @ http://www.trufflesnruffles.com/

You know, I always make the turkey meatloaf but I must make turkey burgers! I can’t do cheese so these ones are out for me but I love spicing it up! ;-)

I am like you, I cook ahead & make extra chicken breasts or the turkey meatloaf. I also have my homemade protein bars & muffins ready to go….

I think moms are always geared to helping everyone else first That is why YOU & other moms have to start taking care of themselves too!

I know you will get the weight off. You know how to do it! :-)

Another yummy looking burger! Hope I can convince Bryce to try turkey burgers!
    I have been making some freezer meals for winter…so far 2 kinds of soup and today some chili. Should make up some of your burgers so they’re right at hand!

Weight loss & exercise has been minimal for me this summer…extremely painful back problems!

You are so organized with getting some soups and meals in the freezer Carol! It makes it so much easier to stay on plan and adds variety to your food plan. Chili is sounding good but it’s just too hot here right now to make it. The burgers are great for an easy heat and meal right from the freezer.

12. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

You are right Tami…it seems its always easier to care for others than it is for us to care for ourselves…I guess it’s because we always feel we should be spending our time making sure everyone elses needs are met before ours…and well..it seems everyone needs something all the time!

I need to look for that cheese blend. I love guyere…and yes, it can be costly. Although, I have a serious addiction with smoked gouda these days!

Renee we have some smoked gouda in the frig right now as well. I have used it in pasta dishes and it adds so much flavor! I think you and I like a lot of the same foods.

You are so right, it seems like someone is needing something all the time and I am just the woman to take care of their needs. :) It’s good to be needed.

1. Turkey Cheese Burgers » Nutmeg Notebook says: