Good Times In The City

Hello – we are back from San Francisco! My intentions were to post while we were in the city but there wasn’t a moment to spare. I never even took my computer out of the bag but, it does a person good to unplug for a few days and be care free. Walking all over San Francisco is a work out with all of the hills and navigating through crowds of people. Thank goodness I was hoofing it as we ate some incredible food including amazing desserts. YUM! I will let the photos do the talking. I don’t get the camera out when we are at business dinners – that would just be tacky! But I did have to chuckle when a couple of the guys across the table from us whipped out their I-phones to snap photos of some of the gourmet dishes to send to their friends who were at a bar eating sliders!

We had a corner room at the Parc 55 with two huge windows and amazing views from both.

We stayed just a block from Nordstrom and a huge mall. This was the view from our breakfast table.

This oatmeal brulee was amazing and I had it for breakfast two mornings in a row. It consisted of bananas, blueberries and strawberries cooked with the oatmeal and then caramelized sugar on top. OMG!  What a way to start the day! I have to try this at home.

Hubby Tom enjoyed the eggs Benedict.

At a nearby Walgreens I stocked up on some snack items. Not shown was the individual servings of cottage cheese-that’s what the spoons were for.

I was drawn into one of those cupcake stores. Oh my, this was a chocolate peanut butter toffee cupcake. Need I say more?

I had to keep up my strength for lots of shopping!

We had dinner here one night and enjoyed amazing gourmet Mexican food. :)

While Hubby Tom worked I ate lunches on my own, so I went with simple food like Chipotle and Boudin Bakery.

One of our business dinners was here at Kuleto’s where they make delicious Italian food. I forgot to snap a photo this time so I found this one in my archives from last year. It still looks the same.

They serve us family style which means huge platters of everything were brought out to the table to share. Check out the menu. Everything was incredible and the dessert was the best flour-less chocolate cake I have ever had. It wasn’t overly sweet and with a cup of Italian coffee it was the perfect ending to our feast.

A little time was set aside for a Nordstrom Spa pedicure. My tootsies were so happy to be pampered.

Since I somehow managed to have all of my nails about the same length for change I also indulged in a French manicure.  I wish polish stayed on natural nails longer as I would love to have my nails painted like this all the time! Well it was fun while it lasted! :) As soon as I got home and started doing dishes again the polish chipped. Sigh.

We finished off the trip by stopping for Afghan food on the way home. Love it! So much flavor and the chicken tika masala was tender with a sweet sauce.

I need to learn how to make some of these dishes at home.

As much fun as it is to go away I enjoy getting back to reality, grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking and the daily routine. ( Most of all – sleeping in my own bed.)

Yesterday I made a simple new soup and I came up with a moist, delicious fiber packed pumpkin muffin that delighted all of my taste testers! There is a lot of catching up to do and I didn’t get all of the things posted last week that I had intended to do such as a Indian stew recipe, and a post about buying dried spices. Today I have to get a menu planned out for the week and go grocery shopping. I hope to get all of the new recipes posted soon! :)

Happy Eats!

Do you treat yourself to manicures or pedicures?

Has anyone tried the new shellac manicure?

I usually do my pedicures at home and rarely do I paint my finger nails anything other than clear since it doesn’t stay on natural nails for very long. I use to have acrylic nails but I got tired of the constant up keep and the cost. It took about 2 years for my natural nail beds to recover after I had the acrylic taken off.

I have read about the new shellac manicure that stays on longer but I don’t like the idea of soaking my finger nails in acetone for 15 minutes to get it off since I already have incredibly dry skin.

1 ping

*sigh* I miss San Francisco….

Haven’t heard of the shellac manicure, but I’m with you. The acetone doesn’t sound healthy at all.

What a beautiful and tasty trip to the city! And I love going away and then appreciating home a bit more again… :) When we got back from our L.A. trip in August, the toddler said as we pulled into the driveway: “Home sweet home.” I have no idea where he had heard the expression before, but it was exactly how I felt!

I’ve heard about the shellac manicure but don’t know anything about it…

Andrea that is precious – one of those moments that you will always remember. :)

3. Dawn says:

Oh my gosh Tami this is too funny. I JUST got back from San Fran Saturday night! We were there in San Fran from Saturday through Wednesday then went to wine country.

We were two ships passing in the night! I hope you had as much fun as I did.

Welcome home Tami!

Your photos are amazing, especially the food! The oatmeal looks to die for!
    No pedicures or manicures for me. Years ago I had acrylic nails applied and since then I cannot grow my nails or wear nail polish.

Thank you Carol. I think I could make the oatmeal with less sugar and like it just as much! I think acrylic does a lot of damage to the natural nail bed, I didn’t think my nails would ever recover but eventually they did.

Love the photos! I’ve have very few manicures and pedicures. I’m pretty much naked-nailed.

6. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

OOOH….love the photos. I really want to get down to San Francisco one day! I’ve had a couple of manis and pedis in my life…but don’t get them regularly. Hope the week ahead is a good one!!!

Roz I love S.F. there is so much to do and see there. We live about 90 miles away so we can get over to the city a few times a year or more if we choose. The shopping, eating, hiking, art museums and sight seeing keep you busy and entertained.

7. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Looks like you had such an amazing time! I drooled over the picture of the creme brulee oatmeal! I’m not a big oatmeal person, but I love the idea of a crisp sugar topping on it!

I’d never heard of a shellac manicure before so I had to look it up. It sounds like such a great idea, but I don’t like that I can’t remove the polish myself when I’m done with it. (I’d read that you should have a licensed manicurist to properly remove the polish.) It’s just as well as I don’t even remember the last time I had a manicure. I would not be their target audience! :)

Jenn that sugar coating was amazing on the oatmeal! I guess I should have written a little something about the shellac manicure-hindsight is always 20/20! :)

8. Carla says:

Looks like you had a wonderful time!

I always have my nails and toes done. I also love the “fake” nails (I used to get the gel ones), but I don’t do them anymore for the same reasons you mentioned. It didn’t take as long for my nails to recover but the upkeep is a pain in the butt! I also tried the soak off shellac, and if you ask me those are worse. My nails were destroyed after one soak off! I had to soak my nails, and then she pretty much scraped the polish off, it was terrible.

Carla thanks for the review of the shellac-that sounds terrible! I just can’t imagine soaking in the acetone-not good!

9. Kim says:

Please experiment at home with these recipes and then please share……I think I would love the creme brulee oatmeal! You have made me hungry and it is time to go to bed

10. Judy says:

Looks like you had a great time–love that city! I had to chuckle when I saw the photo of the crocheted hats–Kelly just got the owl one–baby size at a shower last week! Tee! Hee! Its really cute!

Judy I saw lots of little ones wearing those cute little hats! Wish you had been with me in San Francisco – we would have had fun shopping together!

It’s so sad that the furthest west I’ve ever been is DesMoines, Iowa? Love the pictures Tami!

Here is my recipe for chicken tikka masala – so simple to do – ready in about 30 minutes so its a great weeknight meal. If you have a husband who likes tikka, which I don’t, so I make this for my lunches. Which reminds me I haven’t made this in a while!

Don’t get the shellac nails – my boss did and after they wore off, her real nails were like paper thin. :(

12. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

Tami! What a lovely time it looks like you had!!

I get the gel nails…like the shellac, but not as harsh on your nails. Stays on for WEEKS…and it’s always shiny. I go back to the salon to have it removed…since it takes a bit of muscle and pure acetone to remove it…but I haven’t noticed it causing any harm to the real nails at all. They warn you NOT to peel off the polish yourself, if you do, you can remove the top nail layer. And yes, you can do a french manicure with the gel too!!!

I have made a version of Tikka masala at home too…I used the mccormick spice packs and added golden raisins ( one of the few places I like raisins ) and then topped it with sliced almonds. It was really good.

Hey Renee your gel nails sound like a winner!

13. Ann says:

Looks like a great trip. I gave up the fake nails too for the same reason. Took so much time and costs so much! I’ve never had Afghan food. Looks interesting.

So there you are! I kept checking for a new post & I guess I forgot you were gone! BUT, with all those pics, I am hungry now so see ya later! ;-) Just kidding! What fun for you & beautiful! I want the oatmeal & the cupcake!

I don’t do the mani/pedi due to lack of money… would love to have a pedi every week tough! Mani – I ruin my nails in the gym all the time! ;-)

So glad you had a wonderful time!

I sent you an email so hopefully you will get to it when you catch up.

Jody I just checked and I got your email so I sent you a reply. :) Thank you so much for missing me!

15. FitnessSurfer says:

Nice site. I’m the same way with vacations. I actually miss my home. Nothing like home i guess, even with that kind of pampering, and food. I love William-Sonoma too. I’ve been to many places in CA but never northern or SanFran. Sounds like a lot of fun. Look forward to more posts.

Hi Krystal and welcome to Nutmeg Notebook! Thanks for leaving a comment. I love San Francisco-lots to do and see there but a few days at a time is plenty!

16. EA-The Spicy RD says:

Looks like a fabulous trip! I love visiting SF. My daughter and I went for a mother-daughter weekend about a year ago, and had a wonderful time [and got LOTS of hill walking in!} I usually do pedicures at home, and manicures rarely happen. I might get one once or twice a year if I’m on vacation, although my first choice in the spa is a massage :-)

17. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

What a wonderful trip, Tami! I loved visiting San Fran, but haven’t been back since I was 20! Gotta change that!

Your tootsies and nails look fab!

1. Creamy Oatmeal Brulee » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] the fall while staying in San Francisco I had the best Oatmeal Brulee for breakfast at the Park 55 hotel. I have attempted to recreate it at home trying many different […]