Pot-Roasted Pork – Slow Cooker

This is an old recipe that I pulled out to make at my daughters request. Years ago it was a regular item on our menu but with so many new recipes to try it was set aside and almost forgotten about. The house was filled with a delightful aroma as the pork roast cooked with the convenience of a  slow cooker. When we sat down to dinner we remembered why we were so fond of this dish. The meat was moist and bursting with flavor.

If you like garlic feel free to use more and fill the roast with little slivers of fresh garlic as it permeates the meat while the roast cooks and the end product has the most amazing flavor!  You will be amazed at how simple this recipe is.

Pot Roasted Pork

• 4 pounds boneless, rolled pork top loin roast, trimmed
  • 4 cloves garlic — slivered
  • 2 each onions — peeled,sliced
  • 2 each bay leaves
  • 1 each clove — whole
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • Salt and pepper — to taste

Rub pork roast with salt and pepper. Make tiny slits in meat and insert slivers of garlic. Put one sliced onion in bottom of slow cooker, place prepared roast on top, add remaining onion over top of roast, add other ingredients. Place lid on slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove roast to a platter. Remove string, slice and serve. Thicken juices to use as gravy if desired.

Yield 10-12 servings   Servings Size: 3 ounces

Per Serving : 182 Calories; 7g Fat; 27g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 67mg Cholesterol; 107mg Sodium.

Recipe Adapted from Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker Book

I can’t believe its Monday already, the weekend went by far too fast. Yesterday we celebrated our son David’s 22nd birthday! For us not all bad things are associated with 9/11. In between college homework he was able to squeeze in a celebration lunch with us. He requested the slow cooker Mexican Chicken which is his favorite meal and Angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream. Well actually, he wanted cool whip and I made real whipped cream for everyone else!

I try to challenge myself to learn how to cook things in a different way or to try cooking with ingredients I have never used before. It adds variety to our menu and improves my skills in the kitchen. We do however; have our tried and true favorites that are in the regular meal rotation. Old recipes are like old friends!

David asked me if I ever post about recipes that don’t turn out. Actually, I don’t think I have told you about my recipe failures. Not everything I make turns out good, I have my flops and some dishes are never repeated! For instance when I made this pork roast I tried a new recipe for macaroni and cheese that included cottage cheese. The recipe was from one of my favorite cookbooks The Perfect One Dish Dinners. We have liked everything I have made from this cookbook but we didn’t like this dish as much as my tried and true recipe for macaroni and cheese.

Although it looked good, this dish was kind of dry and lacked flavor. It won’t be repeated and the recipe won’t be posted on Nutmeg Notebook. You win some, you lose some!

I like this saying, If you want a little behind, you must leave a little behind!

Have you tried any new foods or recipes recently?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Jan says:

Slow cooked pork loin is our favorite fall back – when we remember to use the slow cooker! I throw in a jar of Bubbie’s sauerkraut (so good I will eat it right out of the jar!) toward the end of the cooking time in honor of my German heritage and just because it tastes so darn good. It also acts like a sort of gravy while being healthy!

I’m pretty stuck with my food list. During these last 15-20 pounds (or whatever) it’s probably best to stay with safe and boring. Although I did make some delish turkey burgers stuffed with a bit of Maytag blue cheese last night.

2. Schnelle says:

Wow, both looks amazing! And that mac and cheese looks so yummy, I can’t believe it wouldn’t taste just as good!

I have a note on my desk to go through my recipes. I have bookmarked tons and have several in a pile and have been waiting for the empty nest so that I don’t have to cater to my picky teen.

My hubby would love that pork roast! 🙂 I like dry food anyway so I say YES to the mac n cheese IF I could do dairy! 😉

Happy bday to your son!! Glad you got to enjoy!!

Me, I have been having fun with my NuNatural recipes & changing them up for me! 🙂

5. Lori says:

My goal is to do 4 new recipes this month. I have done 2 so far. Sometimes it is just a matter of sitting down and finding one to make. We tend to make a lot of the same meals.

6. B n B says:

Just read your About section. You sound like such a lovely couple. And I love that you like nature walks – taking enjoyment from exercise is beautiful. I hate gyms 😉

Mac n Cheese – must make soon!

7. Deb Willbefree says:

You have the most beautiful food! I emailed myself the mini meatloaf recipe. I’ll have to browse thru this blog, that’s for sure. If I can figure out how, I’ll follow you.

I’m glad you enjoyed my brownie PSA. 🙂 I’m sure I won’t see that recipe here!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Deb

Just yesterday I was thinking that it had been awhile since I tried a new recipe. I only have about 100 or so bookmarked or snipped from magazines. 🙂

9. erica says:

I just took pork out of the freezer. Looks like I will be making this for dinner tomorrow!

xo

This is the second web site I’ve seen where a child’s birthday was 9-11! (Janiie Funster)

David reminds me of me and how my mom told me that I wanted my mashed potatoes with water as a kid, not whole milk, of all things!

I once made cod and it turned out like “codboard,” lol!

11. Caron says:

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love finding blogs that have new recipes to add to our menu. I do tend to get into a rut and we eat the same things over and over. Thanks again.

12. EA-The Spicy RD says:

I’ve never cooked a pork roast before but yours looks delicious. We’re having pork chops and sweet potatoes for dinner tonight-a family favorite! Thanks so much for the Happy Birthday wishes for my daughter! Happy Birthday to your son as well 🙂 Both our kids have strawberries and whipped cream {or cool whip} as their favorite cake toppings!

13. sarah@Spinach&Spice says:

Such easy ingredients and prep, but it looks absolutely delicious!
    I’m on the hunt for slow cooker recipes, and this one will go over great with the family!

14. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

Ive made a few things this past week I thought would be hits and nope…they turned out to be duds…and yes, they didn’t make the blog…lol

Oh pork roast has to be one of my very favorite fall foods…I will be giving this crockpot recipe a try for sure! Thanks for sharing!

15. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami. Great looking pork roast. Yum. Belated Happy birthday to your son!!!!

16. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I tried a chicken/ginger dish the other day, and it was okay. Your pork looks wonderful!